Note to New Members ×

Glove repair?

kjl

What kind of store do you go to to get gloves repaired? My beloved OR Mutant Modular Mitts (beefy trigger mitts) finally blew up after 2 seasons, and, though I tried a shoe-goo repair, I think it might have been too late (the seams are all completely blown and the fabric is starting to shred).

To make it even worse, they don't make that glove anymore.

Are there any places you can go to that can repair or modify gloves? I either want this pair repaired or I want to buy a beefy regular glove and have them cut and sew the middle, ring, and pinky finger compartments into a single large compartment...

Thanks!

I will let you all know about a new glove I'm trying. I just ordered a pair of Hestra Army Leather 3 fingered gloves. $95.00. Ouch, I've never paid that much for gloves, but I need the mitt for my three fingers and the trigger finger for slider track pins in the backcountry, and other little chores like that. The construction of the heli glove looked good, so I ordered sight unseen. After Splitfest I will know much more(2 weeks), so if you are curious about them I will post a followup.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but as a long-term searcher for the one glove that will actually keep my hands warm, I looked this one up (looks pretty good to me, too) and not only are they on sale for $66 right now at backcountry.com, they also come with free shipping. Here's the link:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/HES0016/c11/s100000008/Hestra-Army-Leather-Heli-3-Finger-Ski-Glove.html

www.sportsmansguide.com has some great mil-issued gloves... dirt cheap also.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=235070

or http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=ad%2Fother&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=glove

Ive bought many things from them over the years. Most of its is pretty good.

some just crap.

I have a plastic brace on the outside of my gloves, they dont wear down. They were designed so your wrist and thumbs wont break if you take a fall.

http://www.auclairgloves.com/products.cfm?uid=167

Kinda bulky but I dont mind. Saved me at least once over the years.

Matt

i glued some p-tex (not really p-tex, but i don't know exactly what type of it is...) pieces on the gloves. works pretty good! have to reglue from time to time but the glove definetly last longer and slices very well over the snow. glue is a gel cyanacrylat:biggthump

Here in France/switzerland we are all using a thing called aquaglutene, its basically liquid rubber ( black) that you pour in layers. The thing is better than everything we found because:

- it sticks to anything that is not polished ( hard plastic..)

- it stays bendable, whatever the temp is

- it is very resistant to wear

- it is so easy to add other layers when it gets worn

- it is black, so is hard to see on most gloves that are black

- it is very cheap

- it keeps snow from sticking ( aka between fingers )

This stuff we buy in shops where they have hydrospeed, rafting, diving gear. It is usually used for repairing wetsuits ( it is not neoprene glue)

Hope this helps

Nils

Funny enough, I'm sewing up a pair right now. They've lasted me a season ( I got them last February) so I'm happy. They're beefy gloves.

http://www.schneiderracingusa.com/additionalstock.asp?Category=10&Category2=&Type=Unisex&Size=9

I've got the camster and they are warm, comfortable, and take a beating. They're super durable, and padded on the knuckles. My hands don't touch the snow as much as others here on the forum, but I'd still recommend these gloves.

This is one of my previous gloves prepared with a rubber based very cheap glue. It lasted for 2 seasons, but at the end each and every fingertip was covered with glue.

Later on I also found some rubber based glue that was black (bought in a diver's shop as Nils suggested). My advice is that when you buy such a glue, open it and check if it is really black - the other day I bought a few and the guy in the shop was 100% sure that they were all black.... no need to say, they were not....

I do not have a pic on the gloves that I covered with this black glue, but it looks so good that you could not tell it from the pic that it is home made.

Cheers,

István

post-2318-141842215723_thumb.jpg

I saw bob dea wearing what looked to be leather work gloves. Ive seen some cheaper work gloves and if you wear an inner layer underneath, like something that comes with many gloves right now, it should be pretty warm. I will probably try that method out soon, after my cheap burton gloves give out.

I seem to spend alot of time sliding on my hands:o.

My solution was to glue the plastic from old milk bottels on the palms and fingers in a fancy little design.

I am really happy with how well it`s worked, last season I destroyed two pairs and this season`s gloves are still lookin` great.

The only downside is that it slides like little snowboards attached to your hands.:rolleyes:

Hey, Pat - definitely nice meeting you - what a great way to wind down the vacation - another mellow, sunny Buttermilk day!

I am kind of stuck on the trigger mitts for two reasons - my fingers get cold (bad circulation?) and I think I am probably less likely to catch a finger in the snow and break/jam it while carving if 3 of them are tied together.

Sure would be nice to have rip-proof super fabric, though.

Heh, I wonder if I can get a tailor or shoe-repair guy to take a bunch of extra tough fabric and simply copy my current glove pattern and make me new gloves from scratch! ;)

I just finished applying 3-inch-square patches of kevlar to the palms of a set of gloves that were torn up from dragging my hand and/or grabbing the board in the air. I did this to two other pairs a couple weeks ago and they have worked well so I did another set. I used "Household Goop" adhesive to stick them down. It's flexible enough to allow the palms to bend as much as they need to, but it does interfere with the elastic at the base of the palm. All three sets of kevlarized gloves have straps on the backs of the wrists though, so no problem. I'll see if I can get some pictures up later.