Note to New Members ×

Hardboots on a BX board? (Rad-Air LSD)

Helvetico

Twice now I've been told by snowboard shop guys NOT to use hardboots on my Reto Lamm vessel, which several members of this forum ride with hardboots. One refused to even let me try on hard boots, saying that letting me use such a set-up would ruin the store's reputation. You would have thought I was trying to strap an outboard engine onto surfboard. Both pointed at slalom and/or race boards and pedantically explained that THOSE were for hardboots, blah, blah, blah.

What, exactly, would I gain with hardboots, other than the ability to do laid-out carves? Would I have less stability on bumpy terrain? I'm also doubtful that I can find a pair of EEE-width hardboots. The only softboots I can wear are Salomon Synapse Wides. I can't wear boots (or shoes) that are sort of wide, or wider than normal, or what have you...they have to be unusually, abnormally wide...so wide that your average person could squeeze a sandwich in there along with his feet.

Maybe I should just look for some cheap used equipment, try it, and write it off as an expensive adventure if it turns out badly.

Twice now I've been told by snowboard shop guys NOT to use hardboots on my Reto Lamm vessel, which several members of this forum ride with hardboots. One refused to even let me try on hard boots, saying that letting me use such a set-up would ruin the store's reputation.

sounds like a shop that's all about freestyle image? Just do it!

Guest kennyusmc

for your wide foot...I am a 26.5 EEE ... I got my head stratos pros at Elite feet at the squaw creek resort (squaw valley) they also have a store at northstar at tahoe. The managed to get my foot more than comfortable in that boot via punch the shell and expanding the toe box, in a soft setup I also have the salomon synapse wide boot also... never has my soft setup been as comfortable as my head boots. So I couldn't find your location in your profile... but give them a try....

As for your shop incident... I had people tell me they don't make plates anymore... nor do they make hardboots... and that is just for the Euro market... that was until I found this forum. On board that allboardshop.com likes to sell in either hard or soft setup is the volkl cross... I think they have one left. Some people are just stuck in THEIR way such as that boardshop you went to. I think them refusing to let you try on harboots would ruin their reputation....

Wasn't that a movie a while back?? I ride A wide stiff GARAGE freeride board made locally with my burton reactors and some F2 standards. the only caveat is you have to move the bindings forward a little and keep your heels and toes right out at the edge. the angles are lower than they would be on a alpine board. Its a blast off piste and on choppy days. If it gets really cruddy I put my switch bindings and vans on it. Its a nice switch from a hard carving board if the conditions are less than ideal.

I'm living in Switzerland, halfway between Zurich and Basel. I'll definitely look into the Head boots: since it's an Austrian brand, I can probably get ahold of a pair easily.

Last weekend I was racing down the mountain at Davos on the Reto Lamm and I noticed the boots getting looser and looser. I suspect it's due to the rigidity of the board and the Nidecker 900 bindings, and the fact that I spent as much time on edge as possible. Thus the interest in the hard boots.

By the way, do the Head boots have a model name or number?

its actually stratos with in O

theres the Stratos Pro (stiffest)

Stratos LTD (less stiff, not quite as adjustable maybe?)

and Stratos (least stiff, least adjustable, but still good.)

I think the 2nd two might actually be out of production though.

Guest kennyusmc

here is one aspect that you would gain in hardboots... with many, but not all soft boots there is an amount of heal lift with wide feet.. the last (mold) made for the salomon synapse wide and the dialouge wide has a narrow heel but wide over the vamp (or instep) and is reasonably wide over the toe box... however the heel is pretty much a regular sized heel (the liner) so your wide foot generally has a wide heel therefore you have some actual lift since your are sitting above the heel pocket ...and that is something you don't want... you can try to resolve this using a comercial boot bed like superfeet or downunders but then you lose some volume in the toes...

with my new head harboots.. I have no heel lift ... they are locked in place... when you really feel it is that nanosecond that your are transitioning from a heelside turn to a toe side.... I swear I can iniate turns faster and with more confiedence in a hard setup... and one more last rant about a soft stup...salomon boots have a large overall bulk in the heel makeup that really only fit salomon binding's heel cup well... try squeezing them into a binding like a Ride SPI and you will be banging your boot.

• 1 year later...
Blahhhhhhhh

Just ride it.

I ride mine with hardboots and so do others. It is a stiff BX-style board so if you go with softies make sure your boot/bindings are stiff enough as well.

Have fun!

Lol... RJ you got caught as I bet you have your account setup only to show the month and day - this post is just over a year old.