Note to New Members ×

backcountry virgin

mrjamie

I just rode my first backcountry Saturday. At Tsugaike in Japan, took the Gondola as far as it goes then hiked up to the summit (2.5-3 hours? My snowshoes were broken and I ended up taking them off, heh). Nice ride down to the bottom of the gondola.

Done in hard boots and a prior 4WD of course :-)

Man backcountry is the pure stuff! Give me more! Need more...

Pics up tomorrow! Movie too, but it's just me bubbling with glee at the anticipation of my first run ever down the backcountry.

cheers!

you have reached level one

at level two you get skins and a split

level three, a sled with wide track

level four back to skins and a split you just use them in different places and there is no such thing as this gondola you speak of

level five, you are spending your child's college fund on heli time @ weiglies or Island Lake

IVe gone on 2 stand by heli-days and one stand by cat boarding......even at stand by it was still quite pricey.....but that gave me the ultimate taste in backcountry.......next was the 165 Prior Kyber splitboard :biggthump and the all the other B/C gear :) .....IVe been out on alot of trips in the last year and half and being out with the buddies and earning your powder turns theres nothing like it....glad to hear your first experience was a good one :) ..just remember to play safe ...things can get over your head in a hurry if your not careful...

Boddea....im close to step 3...ha ha....the sled purchase isnt far away :biggthump

what step is a poor girl from AK who's never been in a heli(except when i broke my leg into 5 pieces in whistler) and snowshoed/skinned up many mountains to ride some pow? and went several years without riding lifts, because tourons don't hike, and the backcountry doesn't get tracked, if you know where the goods are :D

Guest jschal01
what step is a poor girl from AK who's never been in a heli(except when i broke my leg into 5 pieces in whistler) and snowshoed/skinned up many mountains to ride some pow? and went several years without riding lifts, because tourons don't hike, and the backcountry doesn't get tracked, if you know where the goods are :D

The coolest step. :)

To the o.p., you don't mention avy hazard, I assume you had all the relevant avy knowledge and gear and knowledgable partner and routefinding etc., be safe. :)

Guest jschal01
http://homepage.mac.com/mrjamie/PhotoAlbum16.html

whee!

avalanches not a big danger this time of year at this location. No weather changes for a week-or-so before either, so no big worries.

If that was the extent of your assessment, you may want to buy and read Tremper as well as Fredston/Fesler and then either self-teach or take a course depending on avy course availability.

Your statement that there were "no big worries" probably is/was correct, but even a 5% error rate is going to get you over time.

Sweet pics...you should check out the out of bounds at Tenjendaira (about two hours from Tokyo) and Hachimantai (Iwate Prefecture) and Hakkoda (Aomori Pref). They are all resorts with pretty good access to back country terrain. Also check out Snowjapan for info on other resorts at the following link...

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/index.php

cheers.

Guest Zach Davis

Good job!

Backcountry is IT!

Turning in untracked, natural snow is one of the greatest outdoor experiences avaailable to us... There is such an incredible range of possibilities out there, that it amazes me how few people consider it possible. I go for 1-lap dawn patrols about 3 days a week, and I'm out in the backcountry just about every weekend.

BTW - until you've ridden hard boots in perfect backcountry Sierra corn, you really have no idea what real carving is.

Also, FYI - I've been working with Donek this year to put out some backcountry specfific shapes and products... Look forward to them in the next year or two. And, yes, much of it will be geared towards hard boot riding.

Zach

It's when you have dedicated a board for one binding /boot combo for hiking, and another one, splitboard of course, for soft deep days. And a backup plan for any other contingency. And 2 race boards for the groomers. Oh wait, is this where I'm spending my kids college money? No, that is where the heli comes in!

Guest Zach Davis

It's one of the less interesting lines that I've ever ridden.... but Avalanche Gulch on Mt. Shasta can be the most incredible corn run, if you catch it in the right conditions.

It's particularly fun, because you can use the climbers like GS gates :eplus2: