Note to New Members ×

Building your own Boards

Chubz

Dr. D

Just wondering where you get that stat. In reviewing some of the sites I have been on, costs to get equipment, materials would be no where near that amount, unless I'm not seeing some hidden costs. The biggest investment I see is time and patience.

Unless you are talking about using one of the high end presses.

Please infomr me if I am missing something.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$12K is going to be for hard tooling. You only need this if you are going into production.

There are lots of ways to make molds, you just need to figure out how long you want it to last and go from there. If you are only making a few (boards) it could be VERY simple.

Bondo will be your friend.:eplus2:

Look at www.fiberglast.com, they have alot of supplies to make molds, and some good ideas as well.

They are also good if you are looking to vacuum bag it.

I can give you LOTS of ideas for molds. I just need to gather it together a little.

One day I came out of good party to take a leak and I saw that somehing coiling on the grass. I thought that if I made a board it would be like that coiler.... wait a moment I am stealing Bruce Varsava's story ;)

Allright, if I tried that it would be even bigger coiler coiling the wrong way probably the other way around since I do not have... well what do I have to start this thing. I guess it would probably be a pile of... I would have to call it "Piler" then.

Yes I have tried to make some board... but it ended up with taking that old ironing board and wrapping into a new cloth so it is easier and cleaner to do ironing job :D

We need to get this Ken guy on here and get him to give up the goods on those boards he made. Looking at those molds made me feel all funny inside.... :o I can see it now..... ar(angel alpine boards....a little bit of carving heaven right here on earth.... :lol: Seriously, I'd love to try to make my own board, I think it'd be a blast!

Ken, where are you???

Paul

My gears began turning when I was referenced to this site and the more I read , the more I convinced myself it was do-able. This applies to ski building process, but it seems to be good reference for getting set up in general. Molds seem to be something that would be the cost of wood and glue

http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/

And yes freestyle counts, because If I have any luck with this, I will try some FS boards as x-mas gifts for my friends that still havent converted to the better side of riding. Then the following year, throw an alpine at them to get to come over.

Keep in mind folks, I'm not getting into this for mass production or sales production, it is simply to give it a go and do some tinkering in the garage and the satisfaction of being able to ride your own board. If it pans out it does,if it doesnt I give it a few more tries and then just go back to riding my purchased boards. If it takes me a whole summer to make a board, thats fine, I'm not under any deadlines to produce.

Greg

Thanks Chubz. Now the only thing that seems like a pain is getting the cores built. A couple of friends and I spent about an hour tonight trying to think of good ways to shape them after laminating, we couldn't come up with anything that didn't involve complex machinery with floating rollers and templates. Guess I'll keep looking around the net for info.

Steve, check this out: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/0506/cncrouter.htm

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but the 'cage' structure in the photo moves up and down the length of the board, and the router (mounted in the white donuts) moves laterally and vertically.

I don't know how he would feel about selling raw cores, but I don't see why not, and it couldn't hurt to ask. There is contact information on this page:

http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/0506/about.htm

the hardest part is your material shaping and prep. the flat stuff can be shaped with a router and a template. Be very careful when you route Ptex, my experience with it was that heat caused it to expand a bit and the router to go off course. Cores (at least the kind we wanted to use) were beyond us so we ordered from Canada (sorry I can't remember). Sean Martin OEM's cores for a number of companies you might want to ask him. building a mould isn't hard just time consuming, if you use a bag it really easy. Cassette making sucks, no other way to say it and the margin for error is such that it you don't get it perfect every board will be F****d up

Marty

do you know those guys? If so, I'd be interested in spending some time with them some weekend, if they are up for it. I live in Pa and would make the trip.

Secondly, I was considering making my own cores rather than buy. I know it would be a challenge but I think the biggest would be getting the proper thickness at the center and tips after the full core is cut from the main wood block that I intend on making.

Any tips on getting proper thickness?

and I dont understand why Arc's Heaven on earth comment is full of himself? I guess all those companies like "Built Ford Tough" or Navin Johnson with the "Optigrab" are full of themselves too. It's a cool slogan I look forward to seeing the link on bomber once your in production Arc. :D

I guess I'm full of myself because I have come up with a slogan for my boards , even if they are hunks of Sh*t when I'm done. But that wont be revealed until the Gold Medal winner is on the podium in Vancouver ;)

Guest Marty
Marty

do you know those guys? If so, I'd be interested in spending some time with them some weekend, if they are up for it. I live in Pa and would make the trip.

Yes. :biggthump Most of them go to school at RIT. ( and live in NY. ) One dood, got a job at Honda R&D. ( here in Ohio. ) They can be found hanging out at, http://forums.dubr.com/phpBB2/index.php.

Ralann had brought this very subject up to me about 3 or 4 weeks ago (board building that is) and all of a sudden WHAMO! a thread about it. Seems to happen that way here an awful lot, guess we're all pretty much on the same page when it comes to this stuff. As Ralann had mentioned he's wanting to make this an "off season" project, so I look forward to hopefully being involved in the process somewhere along the way (R&D? :D ) He and I have spent several days riding together this year and a few subjects have come up during the rides up the lift, none the least of which is board and binding manufacture or modification. It doesn't surprise me that all this great brainstorming goes on here, I'd think it would be somewhat of a requirement to be a tinkerer or a mechanically minded person having to ride alpine equipment. Not that all of us fall into that catergory, but looking at the various poles about our jobs or other hobbies seems to point out that alot of people here have backgrounds in building, maintaining or knowing how things work and why in one form or another. Lastly I've got a question for Fin, has Bomber ever considered manufacturing their own line of boards? Just curious,

Keep the ideas coming!

Paul

How about a link of thread page dedicated to the subject. Fin has done a great job of updating the page, I think we should all know it IS within reach of making your own boards. Will they be perfect the first time....No, but it gets you started. Nuff Said.

Dreamer but not a loser........

Guest Marty
How about a link of thread page dedicated to the subject.

Is this directed at me ? If that is the case. I lost track of that particular thread, ( they, made them last year. They where supposed to make some more this year but, there was not enough intrest... ) I'm sure its in the " weg vom Thema " forum, somewhere. ( You might even join and ask / or mention, that you heard of people making their own boards up there... you should get positive feed back. )

"vertically laminated strips of wood" for the wood cores? Is it wood cut so the grain of the wood is running up and down (as in from the base to topsheet) as opposed to the grain running tip to tail (horizontal), like wood you can buy at lumber suppliers?

I'm just trying to picture what is meant by the above quote. ANy inosight to this would be great.

Later

Greg

mean that the strips of wood are set up sorta like a hard wood floor and is the most common type of core, the grain runs tip to tail

that said a few companies use very soft and light woods with the grain running base to top sheet, this is what burton refers to as EGD(engineered grain direction) softer woods are suposedly a bit more damp and the very soft woods are light as hell such as balsa

with balsa the problem is that is so soft that it compresses if used with the grain running tip to tail, this is solved whem placed on end but sill can't be used in some key areas of the board

Balsa has been very common in touring and nordic skis for a long time now but most of the high end skis are now honeycomb of some sort

I assume the "vertical" term refers to the orientation of the glue joint between each piece of wood. Skateboards, on the other hand, are horizontally laminated. Both have the grain running tip-to-tail.

I think it would make more sense to refer to snowboards as latererally laminated (the pieces of wood are laid side-by-side) and skateboards as vertically laminated (the wood layers are stacked on top of each other) but nobody consulted me when they came up with the terminology. :)