Note to New Members ×

What board to start with

Guest J.McD.

I have been snowboarding for over 15 years and want to get into Alpine. No shops carry the gear here in Bend. I think i want a transition board like an Axis or a Prior 4X4. Any other suggestions or? I ordered a pair of boots already and have a set of Catec bindins.

I've been very happy with my Axis 172. The amazing thing about it is how if I ride it with my boots locked in on hardpack, it feels like an alpine board... and when I put my boots in walk mode and take it off the groomed, if feels like a freeride board. I suspect the same is true of the 4x4 or Coiler All-Mtn. Although I have heard the Donek is generally stiffer.

Mind you, for each individual situation, I have a board that might do better, but each of those boards would also be weaker in some area. For example, my Coiler PR 184 is clearly better ar carving the hardpack, but I'd rather be on the Axis in trees, bumps, and powder.

I'm at Mt Hood, maybe we'll run into each other sometime if one of us goes to the other's mountain. I always wear a silver helmet with a big red Catek sticker, snow, rain, shine, or summer.

I rode my 4X4 for a day and was amazed at how well it carved on the groomed. I got the 174cm because of the slight kick in the tail and nose. The effective edge is about the same as the other 168-171 carving boards that I ride.

Don't go too short...maybe you should demo a Donek and a Prior before buying.

Hugh

Guest jeremiah

I'm 5'8", 210, and I'm having a great time on my Axis 177. I was going to get the 172, but based on my excess ass weight, figured the 177 was a better fit. I think the 172 would be a bit small for me, at least until I lose 30 pounds.

Jeremiah