Agrevation??

scotts.Scheinman

does it bother you?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. does it bother you?

• No, It doesnt bother me
    • Yes, I feel like i want do somthing
    • It doesnt bother me, I tell them or hand them a nifty bomber card

as a side note, the last two years I have had more people recognize what I am riding than in past years and a few days ago a couple of hot ass jail bait aged chicks get all excited over my board, telling me how cool it was and that they wanted to try it, I would have offered to get them on my loner but I don't really want the temptation to put them on another stick I have :eplus2:

also, I would not like the posistion trying to tell my girlfriend why I am hanging out with a couple 17-18 year olds that I met a couple days ago

disclaimer: as much as I love talking and explaining alpine riding (which I almost always do several times every time I ride), I'm usually listening to (sometimes loud) music in lift line and sometimes just don't feel like chatting. usually means i have to take helmet off or stop ipod. a lot of work, i know. :D yesterday person behind me referred goes "that's one of those skiboards," which is a first. I find the younger riders increasingly knowledgeable about it. and re: the "not rails" bit, I'm not anti FS, just feel a little attitude to promote alpine may help :1luvu:

post-570-141842215261_thumb.jpg

disclaimer: as much as I love talking and explaining alpine riding (which I almost always do several times every time I ride), I'm usually listening to (sometimes loud) music in lift line and sometimes just don't feel like chatting. usually means i have to take helmet off or stop ipod. a lot of work, i know. :D yesterday person behind me referred goes "that's one of those skiboards," which is a first. I find the younger riders increasingly knowledgeable about it. and re: the "not rails" bit, I'm not anti FS, just feel a little attitude to promote alpine may help :1luvu:

nice backpack. 5 stars for you.

I always talk to them and point them to bomberonline for more information. I'm getting more questions than ever lately - probably because of the olympics. The people asking the questions now seem more informed, and are looking for information on where to get the equipment. I sense that there is a resurgence of hardbooting about to take off.

I just tell em about bomber. I enjoy talking about because it takes me back to when I first stated riding at resorts in the early 80's and no one knew what a snowboard was. I just hope that everyone doesnt jump on board like snowboarding.

My favorite is when someone asks me if I was the guy laying down the sweet a$$ turns on a certain slope, simple reply "Yep". If they have more questions, I'll answer them.

Better yet, when a skier sits down on the lift chair and doesnt even ask and just says "Nice Turns". I have found that skiers are more educated about it than snowboarders.

Worst comes to worst, I just let em (skiers) know that their shaped skiis came from snowboard technology. Most think some cat in the ski warehouse thought up the idea.

LAter

Greg

I haven't been hardbooting much this year, but I've taken my Prior Swallowtail Splitboard to the resorts a few times to access some of the hike-to terrain at Keystone and Copper and Breck, and I pretty much can't get in a liftline without someone commenting on the swallowtail or the split hardware. I need some business cards, 'cause some days I just feel anti-social and it's hard to be polite to everyone in the lift line, even though I know I'm an ambassador for a sub-speciality even smaller than hardbooters. Maybe I'll get some Bomber Splitboard bindings for it, and them people won't know which question to ask first...

If the person wants to know where to find gear I give him/her a (need more) BOL card. Otherwise I ask him/her to watch a few laid-out carves. Either answer always get a thumbs-up. TahoeCarvers cards are ok for redirecting them to BOL too.

Last week was unusually heavy (weekday) while riding an O'Sin 4807 SWT with TD2's. One turn carving soft groom, the next through the trees.

I just tell em about bomber. I enjoy talking about because it takes me back to when I first stated riding at resorts in the early 80's and no one knew what a snowboard was. I just hope that everyone doesnt jump on board like snowboarding.

LAter

Greg

I kinda think a explosion of this sport would be great because it might bring new forces into the market, seeing technica or lange produce boots for us sure would be welcome the only boots that even resemble anything of quality to me are the head boots but the design is still based on a ten year old shell

though the thermoflex liner has great fit if molded properly the liners in a high end ski boot make everything we have look bad, Head does have a decent liner but its still not up to snuff compared to what is out there in the ski world

Bob

I know what you mean and that would be cool to get higher end equip. and some other players in the game, at the same time the limited amount of participants is what gives this sport some flare.

I know there will be too much band wagoning for alpine when I start to see Mountain Dew Stickers on alpine boards. If it already exists, I dont wanna see it.

I watched some Boardercross years ago and couldnt understand why so many euros were using hardboots, now I do. Sitting in the hospital with my wife this past weekend and watching the races and cheering for the hardbooters was cool. Carving has reinvigorated me for the sport and the smaller pond that exists for it.

Back to topic: I talk to those interested and even invite folks to try it out. But I'm not advertising about the sport during the Superbowl, if you know what I mean.

LAter

sorry Barry but that backpack...well...if you hadnt put the "ride snow not rails" on there I might not think it was snobby, but it is.

as for aggravation, no, it doesnt bother me when people ask me questions. asking questions is how people get past ignorance.

yes i know some people woulnd't like it and normally i wouldn't write something like that but lately i'm just tired of the anti-alpine sentiment i'm getting. i think a little properly placed/directed attitude on our party may help the sport. maybe we wouldn't get bashed so much. it may be more so down here than out west, so i was like "f it, i'm writing it." i think it's somewhat amusing anyway. heavan forbid someone learn to carve before riding a rail =). that being said, i enjoy generally enjoy watching railslides, but this sport is SO dominated by FS and call me stubborn/ old skool, but I equate actually riding down the hill much more with snowboarding than railsliding. but what do i know? i'm just a desk jockey right? hahha

ps i'll probably scratch it out or put the bladder in my other unmarked camelbak. I'm a nice guy!!!! I have passed out a number of BOL cards and always tell people about Donek when they ask about the graphics. have also told people about our local carving listserv. :1luvu:

Ive gotten grief a few times, but maybe youre right that out west its just not as common.

but still...it's fueling the fire, really.

I dont care what the mainstream aspect of snowboarding is doing. they can have the olympics, the burton gear, and all the trucker hat wearing stoner idiots with their baggy pants. fine by me.

the only thing that bothers me is when they clomp all over my board. Im gettin a "BACK OFF, BUZZARD" yosemite sam sticker soon ;)

I dont care what the mainstream aspect of snowboarding is doing. they can have the olympics, the burton gear, and all the trucker hat wearing stoner idiots with their baggy pants. fine by me.

hahaha, good one! that's funny re: the hats. I bought one of those mesh hats with the old skool trans am symbol, i think it's sorta cool, olk skool, fun. I wear it normally though, not half crooked b/c I think i'm too cool for school!

as for the encroaching on boards, look closely at my icon, better yet view my member info, i'm sure you can figure out who that is on my tail- I like his attitude! I morphed the gun to be pointing to whoever's lookin' down. Don't mess with DH, jibber boy! hahah