Note to New Members ×

Human Gates

Guest RAIN

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if your carving around them, ie downhill of them and they are stationary its not too risky.

My guilty little pleasure is when I see a person sitting on the snow looking up the slope, and I aim to one side of them, and then at the last moment lay into a big carve in front of them to pass on the other side of them.

When they see me change direction and appear to head straight at them their eyes get very wide.

It's showing off, but all skiing, snowboarding, surfing etc. is showing off (except racing).

How many of those people that you've left "wide-eyed" on the slopes are going to have positive associations with alpine riding afterwards?

Most of them? They often voice their appreciation as I go past them. I really don't think they're viewing it negatively. If anything I think it's promoting carving and alpine.

Don't worry Dad ;) , I never get that close; at least 1 or 2 meters and they are sitting on the snow, motionless.

If you cut within a body length of me or anyone I know while I was sitting, I'd probably chase you down. Riding like that simply isn't called for. Sac up and get in a race course. You are being a jerk and possibly ruining the experience of other people using the mountain. Make turns in spaces, not gunning for people and getting close, but not too close. If you are that good to never make a mistake start racing and win some world cups.

chase me down will you? For turning next to you or someone you know? Then what will you do???

please...:sleep:

Wow it doesn't take much to ruffle feathers in this forum.

What about,

"using them for setting up lines and cut as closely as possible around them without, in my very very good judgement, being dangerous... I never get that close; at least 1 or 2 meters and they are sitting on the snow, motionless ...My goal is not to go fast but to carve. I don't aim myself at people. I intentionally carve around them, like they were gates... and Kinda hard to avoid at any mountain I think since the middle of most runs are full of squatting little Mickys ..." pisses you off?

Everyone I met on the mountain has had nothing but good things to say to me and my riding skills. I can honestly say most people (except apparently a few alpiners on this fourm...) are very impressed. Not necesarly with just me but what an alpine board can do. Most of whom have had no exposer to an alpine snowboarder before. I can assure you I am not acting in a dangerous manner. I am old and skilled enough to know my limits and how close is too close without pissing anyone off.

Besides, I'm in my apex and up hill of them when I pass them, so even if I were to skid out or lose an edge when I get close, I would fall or slide out past them... not into them. I'm much too old to put myself in dangerous situations anyways.

Don't like it??? Then chase me down and do whatever... ghezz

I really like my space and if you invade it I get pissed, this is why even if I had the talent I would still be scared ****less riding BX

but since I don't have talent I still suck at it with the other issue aside

damn I need a UT pow session in the worst way, anyone got a bed and tanker for me in park city? :)

1-2 meters is too close to make turns around people. You are aiming at people in order to turn around them. That is a jerk move. I spend a fair amount of time on the hill and from time to time I get buzzed, sometimes by people I know other times by a person playing human SL. I'm not impressed, it is a dangerous move, no matter how good you think you are. I've seen it go bad.

Your using people as gates, I see world class riders DQ in gates all the time. Sometimes they blow past the gate other times they go through the panel. Why would you ever want to put someone you don't know into that situation. Quite showing off and have some respect the other people out enjoying the mountain. If you are a ripping rider people will take notice of that weather you buzz them or ride safely.

I really like my space and if you invade it I get pissed, this is why even if I had the talent I would still be scared ****less riding BX

but since I don't have talent I still suck at it with the other issue aside

damn I need a UT pow session in the worst way, anyone got a bed and tanker for me in park city? :)

I don't use my bed most of the time anyway. Feel free to use it, but there is no pow right now.

1-2 metres is really close. I keep more of a distance - about 3-4 metres - and I only do it on the run-out bunny slopes which are littered with people sprawled on the snow anyway. It's not buzzing people, and it's not at high speed. It's just taking a line that is unexpected and inexplicable to the uninitiated, and maybe a little closer than it otherwise would be.

On steeper slopes and at higher speeds I'm smart enough to always try and maximise the distance between myself and other people.

I don`t know if I`d call it people gating but somedays in Japan the only way to get down the hill is by running tight slamon turns though the masses of people siting on the hill, smoking, drinking, having picnics, on the mobile phone, you name it, they do it. Actually sking/snowboarding seems to be a secondary pass time here, for most of `em.

A few weeks ago they were running a school at the bottom of a black run:eek:, 200 kids milling around right at the bottom of the steepest run on the mountain.

My question was, who was being the most dangerous? Me and the hordes of others running the human sl course or the "instructors" running the school there when the beginers run was nearly empty.

HUMANS!:smashfrea

My personal rule is not to get close enough to ANYONE to spray snow on them. I think that is plenty of room. I guess none of you have ever ran gates before because you would then realize that it would include carving over people or plowing them over maliciously. In the words of Han Solo "lighten up fuz ball"

TrenchDigger

If I have to clairify that too. If I or the other poster literally meant using people sitting in the middle of a run as gates, then we would all be bloody and bruised. When I raced the Colorado Rocky Mountain Circuit back in the day we used ski gates, break-aways if we were lucky. That would mean either bashing them out of the way with your forearms and or shins. I don't think that people bashing would fly at our local mountains. What I mean't by that post of, I think that you all are taking this a little too seriously is simply. NO ONE actually uses people as gates. It would hurt (me and them). If you read (post #41 my personal rule) you will understand that I don't really get that close to people that are obstructing the run. When I said that 'everything is a gate' I was being figurative. Meaning, that I ride VERY aggressive and pretend, to myself, that I am in a carving contest at all times, every turn.

TrenchDigger

So your rule is don't get close enough to spray anyone. Another person said that they get as close as 1 meter to people. That is just over a half a board lenght, and I simply feel that is way too close to be safe. Others said they only do the human SL on bunny slopes where the speeds are low, this is a great way to introduce beginners to the sport by scaring the **** out of them.

Who posting in this thread has ever had a collision?

intentionally getting near people is a bad idea. period.

there's no arguing it.

especially considering you have NO idea what the might do...you might end up locked in a carve for some reason, etc...

its just a bad idea.

and the reason phil balked at what you said is that he coaches quite a few racers who are at a very high level...so the "never done gates" doesnt exactly sit with him.

no, no one is advocating "bashing" but...well...me personally the idea is to avoid people. I ride with my friends and sometimes follow them pretty closely, and even that is a bad idea.

I don't think I intentionally advocated scaring people or coming close enough to scare them. If they are scared when I am riding (I DO NOT INTENTIONALLY SCARE PEOPLE OR COME DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO THEM) that is on them. I concur with all of you. Riding at any skill level, close to people, is a bad idea. I also think that the no spray rule is more than enough distance. I also do not gun for people nor think as I am riding how can scare the crap out of Bob, Sue or Joey. Refer to post #45 It was all meant to be a figurative anaolgy. This horse has been beaten to a pulp by now.

TrenchDigger