Note to New Members ×

O Sin 4807 178 swallowtail mod

utahdeafcarver

Guest rick ferguson

I recall it say that it would ride"longer"! Not float better. If it is a matter of just putting the bindings back further, than do that or add more inserts. Either way, if you want to cut your tail, go ahead. The price of a UNcut 4807 just when up in value.

If it is a matter of just putting the bindings back further, than do that or add more inserts.

Hmm. My understanding is that the swallowtail lets you get the benefits of putting the bindings back further (less surface area behind your back foot helps the tail sink and the nose float) without the negatives. Putting the bindings all the way back always gives the board a squirrely "driving from the back seat" feel when riding on the groom, because you're not riding centered on the effective edge.

On a swallow tail, on the other hand, you can ride centered on the edge and still get the superior powder ride that you'd get on a standard board by sliding the bindings all the way back and/or weighting your back foot.

Anyway, that's how I feel mine is working.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone's tried mounting a carbon fiber wing or Tinkler-style snow stix on a swallow tail board to add back some of the stiffness lost when board material is removed.

Guest rick ferguson

It's no secret, the reason the 4807 does'nt have the DEEP cut as the "undertaker" or the winterstick , was to ride different. Look at the prior, not that deep a' cut. Nathen and christian fletcher knew what they were doing when they teamed up with dynastar to design this. You want a pow specific, go deep cut. Want a multi-purpose weapon, leave it alone, ride as-is.

For me it's about feel....I have specific boards for different conditions.... fresh, light, deep = Nitro 188...fresh, heavy, deep = nitro 178...some deep, some crud, some pack = Osin 178.... but it was a couple notches below on "feel" before the mod...good all around but not as sweet in the deep...it's closer now without me worrying about breaking off a tail like I do when I hit ruts & moguls w/ a Nitro....If you've ever ridden an original bungee swallowtail... it's that feeling you remember & strive for. Since I can't ride mine except on VERY special occasions, I'd like to come as close to that feeling as conditions will allow.... or I might as well stay home & not be dissapointed....

PS...longer = smoother

• Like 1

Rick, I'm not the one who said it "rides longer" and I'm not sure what Pete meant by that. In fact, the reason I cut got it cut was to make it more maneuverable, i.e. ride shorter, and it does. Anyhoo, you don't really have an argument unless you've ridden the board, and while I can't speak for Pete, I can tell you it was worth it.

Dave:

Yes to solve your cracking problem, it is a good solution to drill a hole around 2cm diameter where the crack ends. It will distribute the efforts around the circle. Protect the whole area with epoxy thu.

The old 198Cm A snowboard swallowtail has this feature built in ( a round hole at the end of the ST Vee

Nils

Guest rick ferguson

Looks like it was cut out by a 3rd. grader with a dull pair of safety scissors. Understanding why the 4807 is NOT a deep swallow is what makes it ride so well. It's truelly a crud busting carving board that can handle deep pow. We are on a carving forum, so I suspect carving is at the forfront of our desires. This picks up were are carving sticks leave off. 2-4" of fresh on hard pack. I don't think that the masses are charging deep pow all the time. Want a deep pow stick, buy one,to convert this out -of - production ripper is a crime. I'll post up picks if needed of this in action on crud. I think that alot of your skills are'nt up to the board, so it's so easy to blame the stick! Any one not happy with their 178 , let me know, I'm looking for a couple of UNCUT extra's.