Note to New Members ×

Backpack for boarding?

Guest thomas_m

Guest thomas_m

Any suggestions? Ones to look for? Avoid?

Needs to be able to carry the normal BC stuff plus a decent sized SLR still camera.

I've finally got a enough good days in that I don't mind missing some riding time to shoot a few pics.

TIA,

Thomas

check out Osprey I'm using their 'Switch 25+5' to carry board, skis and has integral hydration pack. compresses nicely. I carry a radio in a small pouch on waist strap.

Carries board vertically, skis in 'A-frame' AT THE SAME TIME if you protect board's base from ski edges.

of packs, for durability Burton has won that catagory over and over with my gear also they seem to with it with some nice conviniant features

Burton packs are very heavy though or at least they used to be

I like dakine stuff too just not as much but they are durable, and a little lighter than some of the burton packs

I hate northface, I had one pack that the strap came off during powder session won't ever depend on anything they make again

there are plenty of decent packs out there that are more aimed at hikers than snowboarders that are great and light, worth taking a look at anyway

Guest Randy S.

I don't like wearing a back pack riding. That said, here are my thoughts:

Get a narrow one. That way it won't get in your way as much.

Get the smallest one that will handle your needs.

Cinch straps are great because you can make it less bulky by cinching down.

Get one that can carry a board - why not, you might actually go to Tuckerman Ravine some day and use it.

Get one with some padding down your back.

Get one with a waist belt. It needn't necessarily be well padded since you'll wear it over ski pants, but it helps to keep the weight off your shoulders.

Get one with a strap connecting the two shoulder straps in the front. Ideally an elasticized strap - this keep the pack more stable and in the middle of your back.

Be careful of too many extra straps/crap hanging off it. Remember that one of your nightmares is when the thing gets hung up on the chairlift and you end up dangling by your pack having just tripped the wand that stops the chair. A kid in my son's ski team group had this happen last year. Luckily they all got to laugh about it.

I have a Burton that's not bad. Steepandcheap.com had a nice Osprey one last week. They may not have sold out, so keep an eye on there.

Guest Zach Davis

Period.. end of story...

Osprey makes THE best snowboard carry system on the market. Sounds like you may want an Exposure 42... This is the pack that I used for summit day on Denali and will probably use in the Himalaya next Fall.

Zach

For small vol packs I have a dakine Heli pro, can carry board vert or hoizontal.

I also have a Cirqueworks model name unknown, my personal favorite, only vertical carry, longer narrow fit with very low " swing" factor.

Going bigger look at some of the Arcterycx stuff if cost is no object,

Dave*

Guest thomas_m

Thx Zack. That's a pretty strong endorsement... :biggthump

I just need room for an extra layer, shovel, telescoping poles and a decent sized SLR or maybe even my bigass Mamiya wrapped in a towel inside a drybag.

This would also be the pack used for cat trips, etc.

The sad thing is I've got a closet full of packs in all sizes from my rock & ice climbing days but they all have a ton of straps and none works well carrying a board. I told my wife I needed a new pack and she looked at me like I was out of my mind. Haven't introduced her to the idea of a splitboard yet...

T.

Period.. end of story...

Osprey makes THE best snowboard carry system on the market. Sounds like you may want an Exposure 42... This is the pack that I used for summit day on Denali and will probably use in the Himalaya next Fall.

Zach

my osprey switch 25+5 (small size) has internal pockets intended for shovel, avy stick. When you don't have a board mounted it can compress really compactly to your body. Has GOOD waist belt and sternum strap. Water tube is routed within right shoulder strap. It hugs my body really well so I don't even notice it anymore.

The photos are of my buddy hamming it up with my gear. He's about 5'5''

post-1998-141842211547_thumb.jpg

post-1998-141842211548_thumb.jpg

Hydrapak Powderkeg

Little known pack with places for shovel, avi probes, skis, board, google/glass case with fleece like padding, compression straps, waist belt w/pocket, back padding, large hydration bladder with insulated tube and mouth piece cover, and more.

2100 cu. cm. of space.

Cheap, I got mine just under $50. That's less than you pay for others with just the hydration bladder.