Note to New Members ×

unique edge rust after 1 use

FTA2R

I have ridden my new Donek FC once- on 12/20. I always get rid of excessive snow and dry edge/base/board the best I can before putting starting the 2+ hour drive home. I stopped for dinner, made some additional stops and made a wrong turn, so it was more like a 3+ hour drive home.

anyway, there are some rust spots on the upward facing edge- meaning, not the edge that comes into contact with snow, but the edge touching the core. The board apparently was also knocked to the ground due to wind when I was at lunch.

i thought it takes usually more than a few hours to start rusting? I've never had this problem before. with a brand new board, I was not expecting this. is it worth it to try removing the rust?

===

Barry

Barry

P.s. The rust you have on your edges is probably surface rust which can be removed with gummi as already stated.I've seen rust form in minutes after sand plasting metal.But thats when I lived near the beach.I think most boards that come from the factory these days are not polished out which doesn't stop rust but slows it down.Also never put your board facing down in a salted parking lot.If you have your board tuned make sure they finish the edges with a polish.

Frank

You live in the DC area. Most of the US uses salt on the roads for winter snow. So when your board sits on top of your car as you drive to and from the ski area it gets salt on it, especially if your driving in wet conditions (like melting snow/slush). Is the side of your car white/tan when you get to your destination? that would be salt and road dust. Well some of that gets on your board/skis and causes the rust. You can:

1. Ignore and use the board imediately and rub the rust off on the snow.

2. Wash your board off after you get home.

3. Wax your board and leave wax on the edges (like you do for summer storage), which you scrape off at the hill.

4. Get a board bag and use it on top of the car

5. Put your board inside your car.

Good story: I lived in NJ for about 9 months over one winter. Drove up to My Hunter, and Stowe, Killington, Sugarloaf. On the drive back from say killington to NJ, the side of my black truck was nearly white from all the salt on the road. My ski edges were completely rusted from nearly tip to tail, the next day! I cleaned them, but they would rust after everytime I went skiing. They rusted for several years, until I finally got rid of them. That dam salt got deep into the edges.

so I brought the board up in my car (in my board bag), so road salt wouldn't apply. It is a good hypothesis though, and I appreciate it.

on a different note, my car is black but is so dirty on teh outside it looks blue (I have a reason for not taking it to the carwash) and yeah, there is that salt residue on the side. when i lived in syracuse, ny (aka Salt City), the damage done there to cars by salt was insane, rust all over the lower portions of the car. looking back, the large amount of cars with excessive rusting really helped to put the icing on the cake re: syracuse being a dump. I still love that city though (and always will!).