Note to New Members ×

carving in canada, bc

roman

If I had 6 weeks in BC, I'd visit the following:

1) Whistler/Blackcomb (2 weeks there)

2) Kelowna (1 week for Big White, Silver Star and Apex)

3) Red Mountain (3-4 days)

4) Fernie (1 week)

5) Sunshine Village (technically still BC since part of the resort is in that province) (3-4 days)

6) Sun Peaks (3-4 days)

Fernie and Red are less developed, less groomed so you might need powder gear. Any left over days could be spent in Vancouver where you can ride Grouse Mountain or Cypress Bowl and then hop a plane back home.

Good luck and boy, do we envy you. Lots of BC natives here to give you more detail.

hey canadian!

thank's for your 'tourist-guiding'! sounds all good to me.

we were in bc last summer for 5 weeks, travelling per rv and mtb. we fell in love with the canadian mountains and decided to come back. but next time in winter, so the holidays are fixed and we travel at x-mas '06! i know, long time to go until then... but now we have some time too, to make some connections that way here and find some usefull ideas and tips.

thankx again and regards,

roman

A possible 6 week Snowboard vacation xmas 2006.

Start Whistler/Blackcomb Ski couple of days each hill.

Drive to Vancouver walk around maybe go nightsking on Grouse mountain if there is enough snow, spend a few days checking out the city. Drive straight to Vernon Spend some time at SilverStar if the back side is open nice powder options are abound if not the front has some nice carving terain. Drive down to Big White (Also known as Big Whiteout due to its poor visibility) for a couple of days. After Big White you will leave the realm of the big resorts headdown to a little town called rock creek from here you want to go to Mount Baldy its open Thursday thrue Sunday, so you plan to arive on a Thrusday after its been snowing all week there is oneplace to stay on the hill and just locals cabins upthere so next to no crowds. Head towards the Kootney Region along highway 3 untill you reach Grandforks stop here and eat a Bowl of borscht continue up the pass into the Kootneys.

Turn left at Nancy Green Lake and head towards the town of Rossland and Red Mountain. Red mountain is quaint and not managed well but the steep treeskiing and snow can make up for it hire a guide to find your way around. If you findyourself in the middle of a stormcycle change your plans and stay put. Next drive down to Trail and towards the town of Nelson hopefully its Newyears by now and there should be some good times. Head to the hotsprings out of town and relax your legs a bit before you goto Whitewater for a couple of days. Drive up the Lake and take the Kootenay Bay - Balfour Ferry drive through Cranbrook towards Fernie. I would sugest vearing down into Montana and hang out in Whitefish for a bit then back to Fernie for some powder days. I would suggest that you then head over the crowsnest pass to Calgary to watch some Hockey, drink some beer and get a cowboyhat.

I would Drive down to Big Moutain Montana, on the way I would hit Panorama and Fernie!

I still think Panorama is a hidden gem still.. very little crowds! and awesome groom..

Anyone else ever ride there..been there about 5 or 6 times ..only down side is that its on the Warm side of the Rockies.. but its 4000 vert!!

I still think Panorama is a hidden gem still.. very little crowds! and awesome groom..

Anyone else ever ride there..been there about 5 or 6 times ..only down side is that its on the Warm side of the Rockies.. but its 4000 vert!!

I've been there twice, once maybe 20 years ago and then last year. The snow sucked majorly each time. Locals tell me they haven't had a good season for 3 or 4 years now. They've opened up a lot of killer new terrain but none of it was rideable. Ended up staying on the runs with snowmaking. Overall I can't recommend Panorama to anyone, just too high of a chance of conditions being bad.

What about me, what about me!

Dont forget about Apex after you have ridden Big Whiteout.

Usually by January all the Double black runs are open and are a great challenge. Steep and really narrow. A great place to ride midweek. You might see 5 or six chairs with people on it while riding down the lift line. Then go into town for a day and do a tasting tour of all the wineries and get drunk. :biggthump

Also why dont you check out the great Cat skiing BC has to offer. There are quite a few operations to choose from. I have never tried it so I cant recommend any.

A possible 6 week Snowboard vacation xmas 2006.

Start Whistler/Blackcomb Ski couple of days each hill.

Drive to Vancouver walk around maybe go nightsking on Grouse mountain if there is enough snow, spend a few days checking out the city. Drive straight to Vernon Spend some time at SilverStar if the back side is open nice powder options are abound if not the front has some nice carving terain. Drive down .....

great!thanks dude! would it be a option,to do this trip the other way around?

roman

I wish we had the vacation time like europeans... 6 weeks. A freind lives at the base of Fernie. Every year they have Germans and Swiss who stay all winter and still have jobs to go home to.

it isn't as easy as it maybe looks... even we can't aford to do trips like that all year or every year. but, SHURE I'M GOING MAD EVEN THINKING ABOUT MY HOLIDAYS !!!!! :cool: thank you all for the inputs, especially the ones for smaller and maybe less known lifts. keep on posting please! also, it would be very nice to meet some of you there on the slopes:biggthump

roman

I was at Panorama the 14th and 15th of this January.

Day 1: Perfect groom, no crowds, but a little warm, so snow was soft~ish. No ice or rocks whatsoever. Got to be a bit choppy/bumpy later in the afternoon, as people pushed the soft snow around.

Day 2: Cooler, wonderfully groomed, firm, non-icy snow. Again, no crowds, although there were a few more people. Lift-line was...what...maybe, 2 minutes? Saw two people from Toronto on TD1 Stepins mounted on Coilers.

I stayed on the mountain, just to the right of the people-mover (gondola thing), so it was easy access.