Note to New Members ×

Longboarders

veector

Veec: Some of the carvers here on BOL are longboarders in the summer as well. I ride longboards around town and up in the mountain canyons. I also ride at our local skatepark.

My longboard setup is Randall R-II's, Gravity Super G's, and plenty of pads and a helmet. The boards are Motherlodes which are now out of production. V-lam, two layers of glass on the bottoms. The shorter one is called a Switchback and is quite nimble. The longer model is a Cruiser and is great for downtown riding.

Mark

post-101-141842211412_thumb.jpg

Really cool looking boards utahcarver, mine are a bit less natural looking:D

Right now i ride two boards, the skull skates is for tooting arround town and the rayne is hopefully going to be my fun board.

Skull Skates Flow Dart, i think its 46 inches long, on randal 180s and gumball wheels.

My other board is kinda in transit and at home, its a Rayne Blunt with Crail Speed Trucks and some sort of wheel, havent decided.

hell yes. There's a thread around here somewhere with a picture of my last road rash from this summer. I pretty much suck at longboarding - I'm a menace to myself and those around me, but you've got to have something to do in the summer, right??

Can't say I know that much about the gear I'm using either...I have an MLY longboard deck (apparently they made a few skateboards before they folded) with Indy trucks and Kryptonite wheels.

This summer I think I'm going to hack up some old snowbards I have in the garage and turn them into pintails. It will probably be the best thing that ever happened to that old Burton...

Hell yeah,

That`s what got me into the carving style snowboarding instead of the "other" style.

I`m riding a Loaded Vangaurd 42" with R2`s and Gumballs.

A Gravity pool 36" with Indys and No Skools as a sliding deck.

A Dirtsurfer as an all out downhill speed demon.

Couple of dismanteled decks sitting around that are getting to tired to ride.

DAN- Torsional stiffness may become a problem if you make them pintails.

Maybe not if your using very turny trucks.

My favourite adaptation is just to cut wheel wells in the deck and or run a strip of ply down the middle of the base to mount the trucks on and take out a bit of the flex.

i used to skateboard on halfpipes and such (i was very good at it 2) but i switched to just riding my dad's longboard a few years ago. I dunno what model but it's a gravity, i'd say 4"5 ish. It's fun to ride though

As for your wind road surfing...

we use our kiteboarding kites on our mountain boards....now thats the way to do it:biggthump

Kites.......MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm GOOD!

Never had much luck finding a good place to use kites with my longboards.

I use my kite surfing kites on the beach my Dirtsurfer. (That`s the weird looking thing in my avatar).

Fast, OMG. Two wheels makes so little rolling friction and the faster you go the further back in the window the kite sits until it gets mind bogglingly scarey and then its power slide or jump to burn the speed.:biggthump

I`d love to try a Kitewing one of these days too, they look like they`d be lots of fun on any kind of board.

Check out.

http://www.kitewing.com

I know a guy who rides a dirtsurfer, i tried to ride it with very little luck.

Although, i would like to actually get better at riding them beucase they seem like ALOT of fun.

Kites.......MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm GOOD!

Never had much luck finding a good place to use kites with my longboards.

I use my kite surfing kites on the beach my Dirtsurfer. (That`s the weird looking thing in my avatar).

Fast, OMG. Two wheels makes so little rolling friction and the faster you go the further back in the window the kite sits until it gets mind bogglingly scarey and then its power slide or jump to burn the speed.:biggthump

I`d love to try a Kitewing one of these days too, they look like they`d be lots of fun on any kind of board.

Check out.

http://www.kitewing.com

DAN- Torsional stiffness may become a problem if you make them pintails.

Maybe not if your using very turny trucks.

My favourite adaptation is just to cut wheel wells in the deck and or run a strip of ply down the middle of the base to mount the trucks on and take out a bit of the flex.

Hey Surfinsmiley, thanks for the tip! I've never done this before, so I don't really have a good idea of how to go about it. Now that I think about it, I see what you mean. And I guess that you'd be asking the deck to hold a lot of weight with not very much width if you cut it down to a pintail too.

How do you take the edges off, or do you just cut through them when you add wheel wells? (Or do you leave them on and place the wheels inside them? That would be kind of cool.)

I have a Dirtsurfer too, but haven't gotten to spend too much time on it yet. It is a good conversation starter for sure. I had one amusing day when I was running laps down a hill and getting rides back up on the bus. About half the drivers agreed that the Dirtsurfer was a skateboard and could come inside the bus, the rest of them said it was a bicycle and had to go in the rack in front of the bus. (I wouldn't have minded, but it really wasn't a very good fit and - though it never did - it seemed like it might fall out.)

A fellow Dirtsurfer huh, Dan?:cool:

Veector, You probably just need to be going faster to get the balance happening, Get on all the crash gear you can muster and get on to a steep, smooth grassy area, a few runs you`ll be stylin`.

Wheelcut outs- Try to keep the rails intact if at all possible.

This is the only image I can find at the moment but it`ll give you a good idea of what to aim for.

The first couple of photos in this thread will give you a good idea of what I mean.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16291&highlight=flat

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/download.php?id=12799

Depending on the length/flex of your original board and your creativy you can go for adding a sheet of ply to the deck or strip a of ply underneath to help combat to much flex. Try standing on your board with a couple of blocks of wood underneath it to check that`s not going to bottom out to much.

Anyway, have a good look around Silverfish it is the longboarding equivilant of Bomber.:biggthump

Good Luck.

i dont ride the mountain board with the kite down a mountain. We have a community college near our house with big long open grass....

We started out with slingshot's practice kites, on iceskates on our lake. WAY FAST!:biggthump

Unfortunatly last winter we didnt have time to kiteboard on our lake with a snowboard, and this year, due to the warm weather, the lake still hasn't forzen:mad:

oh well, thats why u need more then one sport...

I`ve seen some footage of crazy Euro dudes doing the kite/ice skate thing.

They had skates that looked like they had huge meat cleavers stuck on the bottom of `em.

Your right, WAY fast, I`d think skates on ice would probably be in the running to nail the top speed record.

http://home.swipnet.se/ansar/s.html

Mad as a hatful of fish. I wanna try.

Simon

i have i cloude 9 - 1,20m long in my garage. wich i no more use since i have a original 'carveboard'. this thing really carves the pavement. makes summer also a good time! love that thing; special trucks, really slicks with airtubes, impossible to touch the deck with the whells or the street.

www.carveboard.com

Carveboards are the kings of angulation on the street. I`ve spent a fair bit of time on my friends board and love it. It`s another one of those toys that is on the list of "must haves":biggthump

Tuffy- Those are much more high tech ice sails than the ones I`ve seen previously. And people say kiting is dangerous, those things look like they kill ya in an instant.;)