Note to New Members ×

Freeride Binding Recommendations

dantheman0177

I am trying to get hold of a set of Catek Freeride Pro's but they won't have any in stock until after I have done my big trip in Feb, so I need recommendations for an alternative, carve-style friendly, soft boot binding for when I ride back here in Oz with my mates or when the powder is on and the freeride board comes out.

Any suggestions?

Is there any downside to the Cateks?

Sounds like everyone loves em, I was just wondering if they have any drawbacks compared to traditional style softboot bindings.

Are there particular boots that fit with them the best?(29 mondo)

I hear alot of people using the Malamuts(spelling?), are the stiff flow/ burton or other boots equally compatible?

Don't worry man, Fatigue is for sissies. I've been riding my Freerides all season and the only drawbacks I've experienced are my jealous friends who always want to ride my board. You will NOT be dissapointed, unless you're a sissy.

Edit: this message was directed at surfinsmiley, who I thought was the individual buying the freeride pros. However, don't be dissapointed, please.

and its the same as comparing say the TD1 to the TD2, its only gonna be a issue on the nastiest, coldass windblown days

I have a pair and love them but they are not so much better than the high end nideckers or burton P1s that I would say either are better or worse.

assuming its gonna work out with RJ. If not, get ahold of me.

Nidecker Carbon900 and Pro800 look solid as hell, and would be slightly damper and more forgiving than FR or FR Pro.

I had a friend on Salomon SPX Pros...something like that...he loved em.

I have Drake Matrix bindings on my freeride board. They are pretty darned comfortable I have to say and I can carve in them just fine :) I am really wanting to try out a pair of the Cateks though...they look absolutely amazing. Unfortunately I am not willing to shell out that kinda $$ for a pair without having tried them first, or at least been able to see them in person and sadly there are exactly "0" people I know that have them and "0" shops anywhere near me that have a set, in fact the better of the two local shops had never even heard of Catek :(

I did add some burton Toecap Straps to my Drakes with a little modification to the Drake binding assembly and the comfort level of the toecap straps is absolutely amazing...

had a couple straps break at the worst times a few years ago on the drakes and also the heel hoop got loose and there was no way to fix it, drake for sure is one the better producers of softy bindings though, again they have some quirks like every other brand.