Note to New Members ×

Thinking wider

Guest Mikef5000

Guest Mikef5000

I've been riding a 171 Elan Ballistic for the past couple years, and I can't get enough of it. It lays down as tight of carves as I can possibly through it into.

What I've noticed is that I drag my toes and heels in most carves. I have the Angles as steep as I can, I believe they are something like 65 degrees, but I'd have to look to be sure. I wear US size 10-10.5 boots.

I'm curious if there is a wider board I could be looking at that would give me a similar feel to the ballistic. I would love to go longer too. I'd love to be able to lean over even more without dragging anything, and I'd love a board that I could take in choppy or 'powder'. Right now, with the super skinny ballistic being my only board, the twice a year we get 'powder' here in ohio, I'm fighting it like crazy.

I looked at that "Wild Duck" Board in the classifieds, and that looked interesting.

I've never riden an alpine board other than my ballistic, so if someone with some experience with my board and others could chime in with some general information and comparison that'd be fantastic too!

Thanks!

Guest Mikef5000

D-Sub I did see that board! It really looks like a killer board!

I've gotta decide how much money I can drop on this new board. That'll probably determine which one I get.

I'm also Really looking hard at the Extremecarve SWOARD board. If I can find enough money I'd love to go in that direction!

I wouldn't get the Swoard. From what I've read it's really only worth the $900-$950 if you're going to be doing nothing but extremecarving and that it's only a decent board and not worth the price for "normal" carving. Again I've never even seen one in person let alone ridden one, but that's what I've hard. Also $900 is a lot of money to spend on a board especially when for $400 you can get that Donek.

yeah that Donek is a heck of a deal at $400.

this whole EC thing has just put some pretty narrow thoughts in people's heads. Ill bet you get on that Donek and LOVE it. If not, you drop the price a little below what you paid and youll find a buyer pretty quickly I bet!

I wouldn't get the Swoard. From what I've read it's really only worth the $900-$950 if you're going to be doing nothing but extremecarving and that it's only a decent board and not worth the price for "normal" carving. Again I've never even seen one in person let alone ridden one, but that's what I've hard. Also $900 is a lot of money to spend on a board especially when for $400 you can get that Donek.

List of things i have "heard"

Al Gore invented the internet

GW lied about the war

Men are from Mars

Jessice Simpson is pregnant

Ashley Simpson can really sing

OK, I've ridden a sword. It's a mediocore board at best. It works well for what it is designed to do, but out side that relm it sucks. There are plenty of boards out there that will ride great in a varity of conditioins and turn shapes, and lay out carves. $900 bucks can get you a totally custom ride that will be exactly what you want, not just a EC machine with a worthless nose profile.

Did you ever hear Al Gore say he invented the internet? If so I'd like to hear the sound clip.

There are statements about the war that GW made that have since been prove false. Weather he knew he was being less than truthfull at the time, who knows.

I'm from Upstate NY, whoever told you I'm from Mars doesn't know me very well.

The less I know about female teen pop starts the better, so I'll leave the last two alone.

Did you ever hear Al Gore say he invented the internet? If so I'd like to hear the sound clip.

The exact quote is:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the internet."

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Basically, it was an unfortunate mis-speak on his part, but it is an insult to anyone's intelligence to suggest that he believes he invented the internet. I'm sure he does not.

Anyway, I have not ridden a Swoard, but I would think it would be pretty good as an all-around ride. The width must be nice off-piste, I would think it could serve double-duty as an all-mtn carver. But I generally value philfell's opinion.

Hah, you just made my point for me.

I don't have any first hand knowlege of any of this stuff, but it does not stop me from saying ( or posting somewhere) that i heard it.

I should'nt be surprised then if someone calls me on it.

Your opinion of the swoard is just that, your opinion. What you look for in a board is likely not what the majority of carvers is interested in ( or maybe just me)

Would you explain why you think the nose shape is less than optimal?

I agree that getting a custom deck from Donek or Coiler is a better value, i have in fact done exactly that from both and am very happy.

I just want to stat that I didn't suggest any specific manufactures in my post. So I'm basically adding a ton of noise to this thread with very little help to the original poster. For that I'm sorry.

Yes James you are right it is simply my opinion, and I am not silly enough to think that my opinions are absolute nor unchanging. I try to keep an open mind about things and get first hand experience. I do know that my opinions in snowboarding come from over a decade of being heavily involved in the sport. I've ridden many different boards, designed for all sorts of different purposes. I can do things on a snowboard many people cant. I've also witnesses people do things on a snowboard I can only dream about doing. I don't know for sure, but since Park City closed last April I've had somewhere around 80 days on snow so far. To make a long story short, I feel my opinion is quite sound.

The reason I feel the nose profile is bad is that it is too blunted. I would go into detail on why I feel this way, but to put it simply, I'm not getting paid to give design ideas to sword. It may seem silly, overly parinoid, and somewhat tweakerish, but it's the truth.

Having seen lots of guys riding swoards, they look like a nice ride, although it may be possible to replicate one of their benefits - the width - buying either an older board or getting a custom from someone like Donek.

One of the worst things that ever happened in snowboarding IMHO was when the waist widths got narrower and narrower while the noses got lower and lower, encouraging people to ride steep angles and preventing them from easily riding bumps, chop, powder and so on. The same as in windsurfing; the envelope the board was designed for got smaller and smaller so while the people who could ride that board could get more out of it (maybe) in certain conditions, the board gave up a lot of versatility. And many carvers are probably not needing the all out race board anyway.

I've ridden a lot with guys riding swoards and swoard type boards (including James). Wide, long, moderate nose. I still ride an older board with a moderate waist on it. IMHO I think the width is a good thing; means you can get the board right up on its edge; it floats a bit better on windpacked powder etc and of course you cannot really EC style turn if you are booting out on all the turns, so you need the width for that too. I don't ride EC style, so cannot comment on whether you must have a swoard for that; I assume you must have a board with certain characteristics though - perhaps James can expand on that.

Kipstar,

Virus has wider boards, too. It's not a cheap brand, not to mention the shipping to US..... but in my opinion its a superb quality.

Check out: www.virus-snowboards.de English version is up and running.

What you can also do is that you e-mail/call Frank, the owner - he can manufacture what ever you wish.

Kindest,

István

Istvan

Thanks for that; I have heard very good things about Virus. Sadly, the tax here is probably the same for wine and luxury cars as it is for snowboards (300%) so I think it will just be whatever is on sale at the resort I go to, or sticking with the Bay of E for cheap 2nd hand stuff.

As it is, I'll stick with my scorpion for another season, and also try to start liking the oxygen proton 178 I talked myself into buying :-)

Guest Mikef5000

Wow! Lots of opinions!

Anyone have any experience with the Elan Ballistic tho?

Maybe like an attempt at a comparison between the Ballistic and that Donek for 400?

How about a comparison between that wild duck and that Donek?

I'm deciding between the two I think.

Hey Mike,

Here's the stats on the board you rode:

Donek 175 Behle GS, scr:13, width:23.00

Your elan was too soft for me and really felt like a noodle. When I pushed it, it felt like the tip and tail were twisting off and losing grip. While that's not a good choice for me, you looked comfortable enough on the Donek.

I've got a Burton Speed 178 for sale...