Note to New Members ×

Opinions on Supermodel 173

dano

Hello,

Can't say much about the 173, BUT, I have a 168, it is AWESOME:1luvu:! I can really crank on it and it holds. NO nose flop, nothing, it is a great board. A friend of mine has the 173 and he loves it (he searches them out). He goes about 195, and is a VERY aggressive rider. He uses it to prove you don't need and alpine deck to do VERY well in a course.

Just for info. I ride mine with a soft boot setup, my friend rides his with a hardboot setup. Either one works VERY well on these boards.

Hope this helps.

Guest tdinardo
Stiff enough for "heavy and strong" humans to have fun? Does the damn nose flop around on hardpack?

Haven't ridden the 173, but I have a 181 that I like. I'm 6'0" and 190lbs. I'll probably be thinning the quiver a little in the next couple weeks as I have a Donek 191 coming, so if you're interested in the 181 let me know.

Guest tdinardo
DAno, supermodels are noodles for carving. Great for powder but Crazy Tom broke a few and now he rides a Canyon instead.Supermodels can't take the heavy pounding big guys can put on them, well, most can't. GO PATS ! :biggthump

Very true. I use mine in afternoon crud conditions and powder. I wouldn't waste good cord with a Supermodel.

The first board i baught was a supermodel 68, and i recently ploped the plates on it and havn't ridden any other board this season. That fact alone is impressive, but also keep in mind the board has been used on and off for 7 or 8 seasons. :biggthump

OK. Update. All the good things I said........ I just got off the phone with my friend, the one with a 173. IT IS BROKEN! After 2 years of hard riding he broke it running gates last Thursday.......

So there you are.

Pretty much goes with the rest. Maybe they are better with softies, not as much stress.

Guest tdinardo
OK. Update. All the good things I said........ I just got off the phone with my friend, the one with a 173. IT IS BROKEN! After 2 years of hard riding he broke it running gates last Thursday.......

So there you are.

Pretty much goes with the rest. Maybe they are better with softies, not as much stress.

Running gates with a Supermodel is pretty silly....:freak3:

The Super Model is a great board for deep days, but I wouldn't recomend trying to carve anything steep on it. I blew out a knee after the nose buckled on an older 181 and I went for a 50 yard ejecto tumble. In more recent years, Burton stiffened up the nose quite a bit. They're great for a split board conversion kit too.

It just seems like there are always lots of cheap ones available. I'd LOVE a tanker ( yay PSR! ) but right now I can only do used or trades.

I always carve on my FP173, but if it's a powder day or too chopped up, I need something else...I have a Freon 167, but now that I'm used to the FP, it feels so soft it's almost unridable!

And now that I hear the nose could fold, I might just cross them off the list.

I had a Supermodel 181 for several years. After the first couple of years I found that I could fold the nose at will and sometimes not at will. On a soft and slight slushy day with wife and nephew I was cranking throught some slushy crud bumps when the nose dove into a bump and just stayed there. I did a terrific forward flip kind of cartwheel looking thing with added points for a 23 yard goggle ejection.

My wife was shocked and laughing her butt off. She said - I have never seen a crash like that and didn't expect to see it from you.

Got a Frontier the next season and have been happy ever since. I could carve the Super quite nicely but had to be very careful about how hard I inserted the edge and to never get forward - even weight both feet. If I did get forward the nose would just stay there and body would slide downhill face first usually. Not the best technique.

I have a Burton 1997 Super Model 174, is the 173 an earlier version of this or later? I have found my board to do well in everything I've thrown at it. The limitation has only seemed to be me so far. I've ridden hard boots since I got the board and haven't sen any damage to it yet, knock on wood. I'd probably need to try a good alpine board and compare it in the same conditions before I could say anything bad about my SM.

I bought one in 98', and loved it until it went flat after about 25 days...really flat! laid on the kitchen floor with no bindings and could *just* slide a postcard under it! Sent it back to Burton, they sent it back to me, said there was nothing wrong with it. :angryfire The short lifespan of Burton cores is the main reason I steer clear of them, though I do have a Fish, and a Speed I bought off ebay. The fish is still fine after 60+ days, but the Speed has gone soft after about 30 days. Interestingly, I talked to a guy at the Snowboard Connection in Seattle the other day. He said Burton was now "pre-loading" the cores prior to production to solve this problem. Anyone know about that?