Note to New Members ×

Axis 177 for trade?

johnstewart

I've got a Donek Axis 177, new last season, blue topsheet. Excellent condition; new base grind (the only it's had). One ding on the topsheet.

I've decided this board is a bit too big for me, especially on the puny little hill I ride on (I've been having a lot more fun on my slalom board lately).

I'm wondering if anyone out there has an Axis which they think is too short, and would like to trade up to a bigger one.

Have you looked into any Volkl Boards? If it's of interest, I have a new Renntiger 168 that would likely get you through the crowds in an easier fashion. Similar sidecut to you Axis but because of it's shorter length and narrower waist, it will make tighter/quicker turns and still maintain good edge hold for icy days

John,

was wondering how tall you are and how much you weigh?

I am 6' ~ 200 lbs and have been riding the crap out of a 179 4WD on my small hill. Just need to make sure I have plenty of room as we tend to go faster than others on the hill. IMO, for my size shorter boards feel squirrlly and not as stable. Don't go too short to regret it.

Pat,

I have pretty much the opposite question. I'm considering trading my Ax167 for his Ax177 and I'm wondering if the 167 is the perfect fit for me and if the 177 would be too big.

I'm 5'6", 160lbs, MP 26-27 boots (depending on the shells).

Care to share your thoughts? TIA!

Depends what you want it for. A wide alpine board? You might like the 177 better. A true all-mountain board? IMHO stay with what you have.

Like Mike said and how do you feel on your 167? If you have the experience and abilty and maybe the feeing as if you have outgrown the board then go for it. When I looked at Coiler's site the 177 all mountain's recommended weight was 150+ lbs. The extra length would provide a bit mro float in pow and the SCR are close.

Riding out West you may be able to handle and need a bigger board than say here in the mid-West.

John,

was wondering how tall you are and how much you weigh?

I am 6' ~ 200 lbs and have been riding the crap out of a 179 4WD on my small hill. Just need to make sure I have plenty of room as we tend to go faster than others on the hill. IMO, for my size shorter boards feel squirrlly and not as stable. Don't go too short to regret it.

I'm 6'2" and pushing 220 with my winter fat on me.

I do really love the Axis. I loved it the first run I took on it. I had my fastest time last year on it:

25seconds_small.jpg

Big (4MB) version

It's just that when I bought it, I was looking for an all-mountain board... something I could ride out west and hit the bumps and crud, and then carve whatever I could.

I just didn't realize how huge 177 actually is, however. This thing wants to go fast, and go fast in big arcs. Not ideal for my 200 foot elevation hill, nor is it ideal for moguls and bumps (although it does blow through small bumps and crud as well as anything).

Part of my realization is how much fun I'm having getting back on my Volant, which is a 162 and a very agressive slalom sidecut.

• 2 weeks later...

John,

You and I met at Granite Peak a year or two ago. I'm heading out west at the end of the month and would like a longer board to ride and was considering selling my Donek. It's the narrower version so might be too small for you unless you were to crank your angles. I ride 65/60. I love the board but want something that carves it that can carve fakie equally well. With the flat tail I find that it catches somewhat when I'm clipping along or hit some un groomed terrain. Since I live in WI we could swap for the rest of the season and if BOTH of us dig the trade keep each others boards. If not, swap back. Mines Blue too and has a minor ding on the top sheet too.

John,

You and I met at Granite Peak a year or two ago. I'm heading out west at the end of the month and would like a longer board to ride and was considering selling my Donek. It's the narrower version so might be too small for you unless you were to crank your angles. I ride 65/60. I love the board but want something that carves it that can carve fakie equally well. With the flat tail I find that it catches somewhat when I'm clipping along or hit some un groomed terrain. Since I live in WI we could swap for the rest of the season and if BOTH of us dig the trade keep each others boards. If not, swap back. Mines Blue too and has a minor ding on the top sheet too.

Is it an Axis??

I definitely want something with a wider waist.

I'm headed out west soon, and it would be nice if I could pare down to 2 boards, but it's looking like 3. Would be nice if I could find a good all mountain board which would be able to handle the pow as nicely as my humungo wide freestyle board.

Are you willing to sell your board? Or would you want to wait until you find a replacement? I'm trying to get together some all mountain gear so I can try carving for the first time. I just tried snowboarding this season and decided I want to carve, not skid. Someone on bomber just sold me some TD1 for very reasonable so now I'm looking for a board and boots. If you are interested in selling outright, please let me know and send all the usual info (year of board, amount ridden, dings, shape, pictures, etc). I have my email enabled so you can email me through this site. Thanks for considering it.