Note to New Members ×

The Mike Jacoby school of "MORE AGGRESSION!!"

Allee

I spent the weekend at the Snowperfomance Carve Camp at Sun Peaks. Three days of perfect weather, hero snow, a carving hill from heaven, and great people.

After the first day in Mike Jacoby's group I had totally trashed quads and had spent a good part of the day heading downhill at speeds completely out of my comfort zone. According to Mike, we all rode great, but we need more aggression! (aggression is the key to life in Mike's group!). The upside of being in Mike's group is you get to see him ride a lot ... he's amazing to watch.

I spent the second and third days with Sean Cassidy, who is "the shizz". We had a really fun group all around the same ability level, and heaps of fun drills - riding switch (carnage central), quasi tree boarding, and the race-down-the-hill-and-edge-as-hard-as-you-can-till-you-fall-down (hilarious), in between miles of perfect freecarving. The difference in video from Day 1 to Day 3 for everybody was just mind blowing.

Justin, our third coach, had our four teenagers in his group - none of whom had ridden plates before, and by the end of the camp were just railing. Watching Justin the amazing rubber man ride is something else - he's another incredible rider and I'm kind of bummed that I never got to spend any time with him (maybe next time!).

You can learn so much just from watching the other riders on the hill, especially coming from out west where there are no other carvers... it's really inspiring.

Thanks to everyone, especially Sean and Mike for putting up with me (I almost ran Sean over on the race course), and Chris McQuillan for the tips on the first day. Chris is a Level III instructor at Beaver Creek, if any of the Toronto riders head up that way look Chris up, he's a great guy and a top coach. Thanks also to Sean at Donek and Fin at Bomber for the demo gear ... Sean would have been impressed to see the kids on the Pilots, they all looked great. My order for my Axis will be in after Xmas!

For anyone thinking of going on this camp - do it, it's awesome!! :1luvu:

That looks awesome Allee."Joker' Jacoby is an amazing rider and a private pilot to boot. You should list the website and some pics. I googled it and found this from '04. (Sounds like Shred), "Ach! dat Sean Cassidy ist ATM machine auf tuning - In goes zie bier, out comes zie advice." MACKing "retrograde" pow suit on Mark Harris.

post-123-141842209996_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone, especially Sean and Mike for putting up with me (I almost ran Sean over on the race course), and Chris McQuillan for the tips on the first day. Chris is a Level III instructor at Beaver Creek, if any of the Toronto riders head up that way look Chris up, he's a great guy and a top coach.

Allee,

Do you have contact details for Chris? I am going to be in Vail after SES and will no doubt get to Beaver Creek as it is an awesome place to ride. I would love to maybe get a lesson from him (if I can afford such a thing).

Dan

I too have to give a big thumbs up to the guys at Snowperformance---lots of geat advice at any level :biggthump

Mike Jacoby is not just an ordinary pilot, but has logged in many hours in the Alaskan bush country. I think his passion has now turned to the liquid medium of carving. Check out this picture he sent to me . The crazy thing about this picture is that it was taken not far from where Mike lives, which is about 100 miles from the ocean. The pic is one of Mike's buddies, taken by Mike.

Sorry Mike, I know its kind of a secret spot. I don't think many surfers frequent this forum.

post-99-14184221002_thumb.jpg

Yes, big surf right now. I saw a picture of Seal beach in today's paper and the waves featured were some of the biggest I can remember. Was out two days ago not as big, but very fun.

Last, I heard from Mike was from Neah Bay on the northern tip of the Olympic peninsula. The crazy dude was waiting for some 20 foot Aleutian swell to come in before making his tip south of the border. I've never surfed with Mike, but with his agressive and go for it attitude, I'm sure he does well.

On the other hand, I have seen him on the snow, and he rides like no one I have seen, and is full of great tips and insight. Ohh to be an x-olympian in the sport we all enjoy.

The crazy thing about this picture is that it was taken not far from where Mike lives, which is about 100 miles from the ocean. The pic is one of Mike's buddies, taken by Mike.

Sorry Mike, I know its kind of a secret spot. I don't think many surfers frequent this forum.

Is that a tidal wave? I think I saw that on the Discovery channel or something like that. One wave a day!

gary, can't resist, tell mike that he needs to learn to kitesurf as well.Surfings great but alot of enlightened surfers are packing a kite for when the wind comes up. Ask Mark Fawcett, windsurfing has been cancelled.btw, I got my first real thrashing at "the Wedge" bodysurfing when I was 12, bloody knees, almost broke my neck, scared the crap outa me....it was awesome ! :eplus2:http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?page=newsitem&id=809

post-123-141842210038_thumb.jpg

Willy you got bounced at the Wedge? Then you can probably appreciate the viedo from surfline. Check out the clip.

As for kite boarding, I think Mike already is a participant, or at leaste he windsurfs. And for me, just one more thing to buy , break and replace not to mention the time---so I haven't tried yet. I like the Real Kite Boarding philosopy of ridding a surfboard between 5'6" and 6'0" in order to maintain speed, floatation, and the surfy feel.

There is a contingency of kiters I see at Bolsa Chica when it gets really windy, but I think they are ridding the smaller boards (more like wake boards). They look like they are having fun.

And to Astrokel, the wave is generated by the wind not tidal currents, and from what I understand it can get up to six foot face size not too far from this very spot.

quicktime: http://www.surfline.com/video/vids/2005/sep/wedge/player.cfm?videotype=qt

windowsmedia:http://www.surfline.com/video/vids/2005/sep/wedge/player.cfm?videotype=wmp

yep, pretty sure I remember in that interview that Jacoby windsurfs, that was back 10 years ago, but judging from most of the people I know, they either switch to kiting, do both or stay sailing, so no doubt somehow we is still getting out on the water :-)

I look at kiting and think it sure looks like fun, but the number of times the kiters around here get in trouble in light winds where they can't fly their kites; wind swinging offshore; prangs when coming into the beach etc etc - it just seems like a sport a bit too extreme for me! But the J-Tear is a different type of guy, maybe he is into it :-))))))

kitesurfing in thailand ? Please post some pics if you have any." J Tear" now that's some old school :biggthump - snowboarding trick with 540-degree inverted rotation: a snowboarding trick by which the rider does one and a half rotations upside down with one or both hands on the lip of the halfpipe wall.OLN had the Breck halfpipe contest on yesterday, as usual, Shawn White was just killin' it !:eplus2: Even saw Bud Keene on TV ! Nice ! :biggthump

Check dis essay:

http://www.kiteboardingasia.com

LIke i said, I be windsurfing, but dese essays be well into der kiting innit.

Most of the windsurf gear and a lot of the kite boards are made here just an hour from where I sit in the Cobra factory; so it is fairly cheap. Almost all the wind is on the light side in the area near Bangkok (pataya) and medium in Phuket and Hua Hin. IN pataya, I'd say I sail 5-6 out of 7 days, kiting would be like 3-4 days out of 7.

Warm water 24:7; come out for a holiday, I'll look after you if you bring me some TD2s :-)

Cable ski is also popular here; you have that over in USA right? I think a season pass for a year unlimited use is like $180 USD.

The J tear was back inthe day b4 he became racer king.

Oh yeah!!! Got to fly!! Sean: See you in Aspen. Don't forget the auto brakes?? LOL

Autobrakes? I don' need no steenken autobrakes! Us eskimos fly the maddog as it was meant to be- round dials, cable driven controls, aero tabs and we use them big ole discs and spoilers to stop. Quiet too :o See you in Aspen

-Sean

You pilots and your inside jokes...autobrakes???a new type of flap the will take the aeronautical world like anti-lock did the automobile world?

By the way Sean, did you ever figure out the video thing for the Mammoth camp? Love to try and help if you need. :D