Note to New Members ×

Quiver advice: what to buy next?

Dan

Hi all,

I keep telling myself that I have enough boards for the time being, but just hypothetically if I were to see a great deal, or happened to come into some unexpected money, what should I get next? Here's what I have now:

-Slalom deck: this is a Generics, around 155 cm I believe. I got it from Mark Anderson last season and haven't even had a chance to ride it yet.

-Rock board/loaner board: Osin Sinner 167. Very stiff and on the heavy side, but it has fun pop, plenty of camber, and I got it for a song off of eBay, so I don't mind riding it in low snow years or early/late in the season.

-Freeride board: Arbor Munoz 162. Last board I bought before starting to ride hardboots. Wish I'd gotten the 166 now.

-GS board: Oxygen Proton 172: I love this board, though I'm intrigued by the folks that have posted saying that Volkls and Donek/Prior/Coilers are much better rides.

-Powder board: Osin 4870 178 cm: haven't even ridden this bad boy yet because I got it at the very end of the '03/'04 season and there was never enough snow to take it out last year.

-all-mountain carver: Oxygen F-67 167 cm: I've only got one day on this so far and it wasn't quite as much fun as I'd hoped. It's not as confidence-inspiring as the Proton - not sure if it's the width, the sidecut, less edge, or if it just needs a tuneup. (or maybe I just needed a tuneup - it was my first day on the snow this year.)

So...where's the hole that should be filled? I'm somewhat interested in a GS deck over 180 cm, and I'd be interested in a longish all-mountain carver too:

an Axis, 4x4, or the Coiler equivalent. What else, in your opinion, should I be looking at?

------------

Oh yeah, forgot to say that I'm 5'11", about 155 pounds.

in one of the bigger sizes

if you find a burner 188 in good condition those boards rip

a madd in any size would be a super fun board

I am not a fan of the oxygen stuff I would say I even prefer F2 decks to oxygen and I am not big on the F2 stuff, been on some of the new atomics(softboot stuff) though and they rock, maybe oxygen has gotten better since '99 though

ds good, something in the 182 range. If you like the dampness of the Proton, you might like something like an F2 Speedster RS 182. Or even a 178 at your weight. They are a lot of fun and are really stable, you can talk on the cell phone or shoot video while straightlining.

With Coiler Titanal PR, it wont let you talk on a cellphone because you are already at the bottom of the slope :biggthump

My quiver-building strategy has been to have a good variety of sidecuts and try to sprinkle some all-mountain boards in between the carving boards.

Coiler PR 188 15.7 m

Coiler AM 182 12.7 m

Donek FC 175 11.75 m

Donek Axis 172 10.25 m (rock board)

Burton FP 157 9.65 m

OSin 4907 178 10.5m

Very old Donek Incline 168 10.25m(?) (rock board)

Donek Wide 161 9.1 m

The only "hole" in my quiver is a ~14m sidecut alpine board although I will probably replace my Axis before I get one. (Probably get a Coiler AM 172 to replace the Axis, since I hear the Coilers are more freeride-ish than the Axis and that appeals to me, and one of the 14m Donek GS models after that)

I find all my decks get used... the only one not used thus far this season is the old Incline and that's only around for when it's questionable whether the slopes should even be open.

I have no idea what the sidecuts are on any of your boards except the Proton which is a 14m, and the 4807 which is 10.5... but guessing they are all around 10-11, why not go for either a big gun with a 15+ sidecut or something in the 12-13 range?

Right now, I'm all about the tomahawks. I scooped up Justin Reiter's former race deck (185cm, 15m sidecut, flex built for 155lb'er). Just got it tuned and am ready to get it on the mountain. I'll give a yay or nay after my first experience on it but from what people say about them, I'm expecting good things. Certainly another brand to consider esp if you're planning to go custom ie. coiler, donek etc...