Note to New Members ×

Colorado Tuning and Upkeep

Guest rphillips

Guest rphillips

I'm sure this topic has been posted many times, so maybe just point me to the thread? I'm relatively new to carving boards and want some tips on waxing/tuning. I've read Scott Firestone's almanac, but quite honestly, I'm very lazy and would prefer not to do the work myself. Any recommendations on skilled shops in the rockies? The other alternative I would pursue would be some "hands on" training with another carver to learn to do it myself.

Thanks for the help

find a shop to set your edges at the bevel of your choice, I use 2 side 1 base

then go out and get some of the purple and some red swix, to keep the edges nice get diamond stone and a multi angle file guide to touch up your edges

CO has pretty easy conditions to wax for and edges require much less care than in the north east so you should be good with the above reccomedation

rphillips,

There are some basics to keeping a carve board tuned up and I can certainly show you what I know. If you are ever up here in Summit County, stop by our shop and we can chat more. Just give me an e-mail or call to make sure we are here and not out on the hill :biggthump

Where abouts are you?

Guest rphillips

Fin, i'm in Golden - so drive by Silverthorne a lot. Really appreciate the offer and would love to stop in sometime when you're not busy.

DT, didn't even think of Bola - thanks.

+1 for learning to do it yourself. there's definitely something rewarding about caring for your own board...and very few people would treat it with the love you probably would.

+2. I make no claims that I can do a competition-level tune, but I can do better than a number of the shops I've used on everything except the base grind :biggthump