Note to New Members ×

White, Teter Win First Snowboard Grand Prix Halfpipe (includes video)

Pat Donnelly

impressive pipe... i still wonder why its an olympic discipline thu...

Boardercross is way more of a thing to put as discipline... Nice to see that turin finally has it! I'm always sceptical when it comes to judges giving notes compare to what clock or first place gives as a result.

N.

Shawn White is always so amazing to watch...love he tweak in that final McTwist...

And if halfpipe shouldn't be in the olympics, you would have to make the same argument against figure skating, gymnastics, dressage (not sure if that's still in), moguls, and basically any other sport that is about styls rather than speed or accuracy...

pipe comps are crazy technical. yeah, you gotta wonder about objectivity vs subjectivity, however, what makes it any different than judging figure skating?

simply put, the winners are completing their runs cleanly with the greatest amplitude. if a landing is skidded, they lose points. if they don't get out of the pipe as much as "joe," they lose points. back to back 1080's, including at least one done switch? the progression of pipe riding has exploded over the course of the past few years. these kids are training like crazy for these comps. the tiny women are squatting 280 in the gym. sounds pretty darn serious to me.

plus it is one comp where anything can happen. there really are no riders guaranteed to finish on the podium due to how well everyone will be riding. it should be a great competition to watch.

impressive pipe... i still wonder why its an olympic discipline thu...

Boardercross is way more of a thing to put as discipline... Nice to see that turin finally has it! I'm always sceptical when it comes to judges giving notes compare to what clock or first place gives as a result.

N.

Why don't you think that halfpipe should be an Olympic event?

Skiing has mogules and arials which are both judged, figure skating has been in the Olympics for a very long time and that's judged, even ski jumping has judges. I think halfpipe is a great display of talent and true athletic ability and showcases the sport very well.

In my opinion halfpipe fits into the Olympics much better than SBX.

figure skating has been in the Olympics for a very long time

Exactly Phil. And controversy seems to go hand and hand with subjectivity. The clock, or measuring stick don't lie. Maybe they should make gymnastics and company spectator events only. Have an Olympic circus or something.