Note to New Members ×

Tech Article: Cant and Lift

Jack M

Mike,

I think you conceptually have a a decent idea with that set of adjustments. The only thing I would consider if I were you would be to change one first, followed by the other. I really dont like changing two things at once. I guess this is why I like the cateks. . . I can make one change easily every run until I am happy, where as with the bombers you have to get down to the base plate to make incrimental adjustments.

If you have a full day, take 2 runs on your current set up. Change your back foot only, take 2 runs and note if its is good change or bad change. Then make change to your front foot.

I tried completely flat, and close to flat last year on my cateks, as well as on a pair of phiokka's. Same experience as jack, did not like it at all.

Fair enough. I did read Jack's article on cant and as usual, it is incredibly detailed and very informative. (I think everyone owes him beer when they see him for doing all this work.) The only point I guess I would add to his comment is that maybe more could be gained by focusing on the boots first to promote a comfortable fit and centered position, then going to the binders- might result in a less canted, lifted versatile setup. Tweaking the binders to compensate for the boots is IMHO out of sequence. Again- the bottoms up approach.

As I suspected there would be a healthy discussion on this one. All good stuff.

Now I'm really outta here...

-Sean

The only point I guess I would add to his comment is that maybe more could be gained by focusing on the boots first to promote a comfortable fit and centered position, then going to the binders- might result in a less canted, lifted versatile setup. Tweaking the binders to compensate for the boots is IMHO out of sequence. Again- the bottoms up approach.

Yes, excellent point, I will put that in there.

Glad you liked the piece, thanks!

The only point I guess I would add to his comment is that maybe more could be gained by focusing on the boots first to promote a comfortable fit and centered position, then going to the binders- might result in a less canted, lifted versatile setup. Tweaking the binders to compensate for the boots is IMHO out of sequence. Again- the bottoms up approach.

As I suspected there would be a healthy discussion on this one. All good stuff.

Agreed - in fact when I got my Suzukas I did the classic "loosen the cants and see where they go to" thing, and found myself very comfortable "one up, one down". I can't wait for my BTS to arrive. Should provide more boot-tweaking opportunities. As it is, I use the lean adjusters in Powder Mode so I have to use bidnings to do the rest.

Cant. Canting the rear binding towards the toeside edge by a small amount, in addition to heel lift.

So, if you're goofy as in the article in the picture, this would mean rotating the cant plate counter-clockwise, right?

It's just not quite clear to me when you say "moving cant". The point of reference, I am gathering, is the lowest part of the cant plate, right?

So, for my regular stance an outward cant would mean moving the lowest part of the cant plate to be more towards the toeside edge of the board, as opposed to parallel with the boot?

thanks!

you got it.

Cool; thanks. Definitely a different perspective. The last board I mounted my TD2s on, I made the cant plate parallel with the run of the board, not parallel with my boots. Will give that a try this weekend.

I would love to get a clinic on how to set up my board for my own body mechanics. I think I mostly end up slapping them on and just getting used to whatever I've set up.

I tried outward cant today. It's not for me but I am very glad I tried it.

I already have a noticably stronger toeside than heelside. When I added the outward cant on the back, WOW, my toeside became so powerful that I crashed a few times and literally had to remember to feather it toeside when I was going slowly. I reread both Jack's and Todd's articles and post they make a lot more intuitive sense to me now, having experienced the difference first hand.

I believe my stance is wide enough so that I "separate zee knees" plenty without having to cant anything outward. With a low-mid 50's back foot angle and some reasonably flexible legs, I don't seem to have problems pushing the back knee into a toeside turn even with a little inward cant. I might try going the opposite way from my previous stance next time. I definitely seem to have power to spare on toside and a little shortage heelside.