Note to New Members ×

Snow Blowers: Psychological Warfare

SWriverstone

Man, last night was brutal at Whitetail. It was windy, cold (single-digit chill factor) and they were blowing snow like crazy!

Riding the lift up was some serious psychological warfare---I mean, you literally rode right through several huge blowers (can you say "Himalayan storm?") I was going into full airline-crash-tuck mode on the lift! :eek:

As if that weren't bad enough, the collective noise from the blowers was easily (this is no exaggeration) as loud as standing on the tarmac at your local airport behind a 747 jet engine! I'm actually kind of amazed that the resort can get away with that (OSHA would have a field day!).

But I'll suffer in silence---'cause the snow is all good, whether fake or real! You people at the big "silent" resorts (with lots of natural snow) don't know how cushy and comfortable you've got it! :) We Mid-Atlantic boarders are being conditioned to be some of the toughest in the world! LOL

Scott

Scott,

While I've never been on the lift with the snowmaker next to me like that, I've ridden through trails while multiple guns have been blowing and I know that the are extremely loud and snow will go into every uncovered "hole" around your body. I recommend the full head cover fleece baclava so you have no exposed skin. If you're wearing a helmet, noise should be bearable, but being a former pro musician, I'm sure you're familiar with a few types of insertable ear plugs! send us video /pic of your next ride through when the guns are on!

Are they literally blowing snow on the lifts? That's extremely dangerous and not a very good idea, if it was.

Man, last night was brutal at Whitetail. It was windy, cold (single-digit chill factor) and they were blowing snow like crazy!

Riding the lift up was some serious psychological warfare---I mean, you literally rode right through several huge blowers (can you say "Himalayan storm?") I was going into full airline-crash-tuck mode on the lift! :eek:

As if that weren't bad enough, the collective noise from the blowers was easily (this is no exaggeration) as loud as standing on the tarmac at your local airport behind a 747 jet engine! I'm actually kind of amazed that the resort can get away with that (OSHA would have a field day!).

But I'll suffer in silence---'cause the snow is all good, whether fake or real! You people at the big "silent" resorts (with lots of natural snow) don't know how cushy and comfortable you've got it! :) We Mid-Atlantic boarders are being conditioned to be some of the toughest in the world! LOL

Scott

Are they literally blowing snow on the lifts? That's extremely dangerous and not a very good idea, if it was.

I would imagine it's the 'cloud' hitting the lift line due to wind conditions rather than the cannon being aimed at the lift per se. Running them towards a lift is a bad idea, you get all sorts of ice-related breakdowns. Snow machine placement is a tricky business, depends on loads of things like the availability of water, average ambient temperature, the usual wind direction, etc. And yeah, they only run the damn things when it's cold and there's nobody on the slopes - need to be < -3c to make snow, and < -5 is better, can't run them peak season because of the noise and water consumption (blowers tend to run off mains water rather than high pressure supply, 'perches' need a high-pressure supply, pumping station and high-altitude lake).

Oh, and they do make quiet ones now. We had one on test last year, you wouldn't know the damn thing was running if it wasn't for the enormous cloud of ice crystals tearing your face apart as you went past it. Spendy, though.

Simon

Simon's right---my poor Photoshopping not withstanding, they didn't really aim the blowers at the lift...but they were cutting it very close---the blowers were aimed at a point about 5-10' below the lift chairs (so yes---blizzards of snow were blasting through the chairs and you'd actually feel the chair get buffeted by the forced air).

Scott

Riders in Michigan and So Cal get the same BLOW job.

YES!!!!!

It happend 2 weeks ago (in michigan). You had to turn completley away from it, or else....

......brrrrrrrr......

But I'd rather actually have so and deal with the blowing then not having snow.

The best time to make snow is when the wind is blowing, the skies are usually clear, the temps are cold and the humidity is very low. I know at Snow Summit in SoCal, if the humidty levels are too high but the temps are below freezing they won't make snow but when the Santa Ana winds begin to blow they fire up all the guns.

It sounds like your resort still uses the compressed air mthod to atomize the water, these type of guns are LLLLOOOOUUUDDDD! Plus they are very inefficient, you have to run not only water but compressed air up the mtn to the guns. The new style machines, like the one in the picture, have a large fan and they are far quieter than the old style. More cost efficient too, just a water line and some AC power to get the snow made.

i think wachusett uses the quieter method. Last wednesday, they were on full blast in one area and I loved skiing through them (not riding because boots were being resided). I had a full face mask on so it wasnt too bad. Only problem is that visiblity is a bit low and it could be dangerous.

Does anybody know if they make mini at-home snowmakers? that would be so awsome!

borrow your neighbours pressure washer, hook it up to a tap and go outside at -10 C and bring the pressure wand on your roof and let her rip It should freeze by the time it hits the ground.

Yeah, Im a snowmaker, and definitly do have to deal with what you mentioned on daily basis. Care to tell me the name of the manufactor of those quiet snow guns ? Unless if youre referring to fan guns ?

I would imagine it's the 'cloud' hitting the lift line due to wind conditions rather than the cannon being aimed at the lift per se. Running them towards a lift is a bad idea, you get all sorts of ice-related breakdowns. Snow machine placement is a tricky business, depends on loads of things like the availability of water, average ambient temperature, the usual wind direction, etc. And yeah, they only run the damn things when it's cold and there's nobody on the slopes - need to be < -3c to make snow, and < -5 is better, can't run them peak season because of the noise and water consumption (blowers tend to run off mains water rather than high pressure supply, 'perches' need a high-pressure supply, pumping station and high-altitude lake).

Oh, and they do make quiet ones now. We had one on test last year, you wouldn't know the damn thing was running if it wasn't for the enormous cloud of ice crystals tearing your face apart as you went past it. Spendy, though.

Simon

The best time to make snow is when the wind is blowing, the skies are usually clear, the temps are cold and the humidity is very low. I know at Snow Summit in SoCal, if the humidty levels are too high but the temps are below freezing they won't make snow but when the Santa Ana winds begin to blow they fire up all the guns.

It sounds like your resort still uses the compressed air mthod to atomize the water, these type of guns are LLLLOOOOUUUDDDD! Plus they are very inefficient, you have to run not only water but compressed air up the mtn to the guns. The new style machines, like the one in the picture, have a large fan and they are far quieter than the old style. More cost efficient too, just a water line and some AC power to get the snow made.

True, but its pain in the ass to get 'em moving, literally. After all, good thing we got snowcats to move 'em. Not to mention -LOOONG- water-filled hose isn't fun to flush out when there's no air to blow it out esp in freezin' temp The only thing of Fan Gun Im particulary fond of is the pole cat pole based fan gun. Those are real convinent. Plus with those ratnicks, the old ones, are no problem fo rme. i wear hearing aids and i just switch the mode to only radio. can't hearing anything else.

Yeah, Im a snowmaker, and definitly do have to deal with what you mentioned on daily basis. Care to tell me the name of the manufactor of those quiet snow guns ? Unless if youre referring to fan guns ?

Well, we had a bunch of stuff on test last year. Mostly we use fan guns, they are a bastard, ice up all the time and make a helluva noise, but we don't have a choice, no high-pressure supply for perches.

The two things we had on test that seemed to do the trick were mobile perches that (I believe) could run off the same supply as a fan gun, no need for high pressure or air, and a new model fan that was whisper quiet. Seriously all you could hear with it running at full pelt was the hiss of the water coming out.

Technoalpin were the suppliers I think, I'll check next time I see our snowmaker. http://www.technoalpin.com

Simon