Note to New Members ×

Prior snowboards

SITO

Sito,

Prior makes an excellent board these days. Durrable, Great looking, great performance.

In North America there are 3 source for boards of similar quality. Donek, Prior and Coiler. All are excellent, all just have a slightly different feel to them. You cant go wrong with ANY of them. I have my personal preference, but you should develop your own opinion.

Look into all three of them.

-Todd

Guest Randy S.

What ~tb said. Except note that Coiler has a really long waiting list so if you want a board this season, Prior or Donek are your best North American options.

I really want a Prior split carving board.

I've got 2 Priors (162MFR and 174 4x4) and my wife has a Magestic. They are all great boards. Very durable all around in my experience. All the bases were dead flat on delivery and remain so after considerable use. The Prior folks are really easy to work with as well. When I'm ready to upgrade from my second hand Voile split, the 171 AWD split will be my next ride.

I've not ridden the 171 AWD, but my feeling is that if you are comfortable with hardboots and plates in all conditions, and you plan to ride hardboots in the backcountry, the 171 AWD is the perfect board. If you are going to ride softies, the normal "Backcountry Splitboard" is the right choice.

My only gripe would be that the 171 would be long-ish for lighter riders in steep, hardpack terrain like spring mornings. I'd like to see Prior offer the 167 AWD shape in a split as well. However, hardboots + splitboards is combining two niches into one ultra-niche. There have got to be at least a *dozen* backcountry hardbooters worldwide that need something shorter than 171 right? That's a huge market segment... :-)

I ride always with alpine boards also in park, powder,.... :1luvu:

Now I'm thinking in a backcountry splitboard,but I would like to ride it with hardboots.

What I don't know is that this BC boards will have the same feeling that my board have , which I love it, the same grip on ice slopes, and if this board will work fine with hardboots.

This is my doubt in choice one or another board, (BC or ATW) :confused:

What are you riding now?

I feel the BC split is too wide for hardboots at ~26cm. Also, the insert placement on the BC makes angles higher than ~40 degrees difficult (but not impossible with modifications).

The ATV is designed with hardboots in mind so angles up to 55 or so are achievable without modification. Also, the 23.5cm waist width is much more appropriate for plates.

That said, I have a solid Prior MFR (very similar shape to the BC splitboard) and it rides great with plates.

I ride always with alpine boards also in park, powder,.... :1luvu:

Now I'm thinking in a backcountry splitboard,but I would like to ride it with hardboots.

What I don't know is that this BC boards will have the same feeling that my board have , which I love it, the same grip on ice slopes, and if this board will work fine with hardboots.

This is my doubt in choice one or another board, (BC or ATW) :confused:

Hi, SITO

Buy yourself a POGO Longboard 175, you can ride the powder, trees, moguls and drive like a bomber alpineboarder at the slopes, all in one package. You can board this one with hard and softboots. Never had a board with so much grip, even way better than my Swoard. If you are at the ECS 2006 you can demo mine as well as my new Coiler.

Greets, Hans.

Hey Sito:

A guy posted a really good "how-to" over on Splitboard.com. He was using a Voile Mtn-Gun, but the idea is the same to get higher angles. Basically, some carving down of the "slider pucks" will allow for higher angles. Here's the link. Pictures are worth 1000 words...

http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1510

how is you new coiler?

is it everything you expected?

Looks are good till so far. If snowconditions are suitable for this board this weekend, I am gonna ride it for two days at Kaprun, Austria. But fresh snow/dump is expected, so think it will probably be POGOtime.

Greets, Hans.