Note to New Members ×

Lifespan of bindings?

Guest Ghostrider

Guest Ghostrider

Just wondering if anybody knows the expected lifespan of stepins.

I got to thinking about just how many runs we do in the midwest here since weve only got 350 vertical to work with, and i still manage to break 1,000,000 vertical feet in a season....thats ALOT of stepping in. I figure that my Intec heels have over 10,000 stepins logged on them and my TD2's have over 6,000.

Plus today I noticed that my step in seemed to be engaging twice or something equally creepy. Once at the start of the run and then after a toe side, the heel side would make it click again. I got a little paranoid after that happened twice in a row and called it a day.

Is it time to think about replacing things? The female part of the stepin system has VERY noticeable wear...how much is too much?

Disclaimer: I've never used step-ins and know nothing about them.

But if you're starting to question whether your bindings are still reliable, hell yes I'd say it's time to replace them.

It's like bike helmets: gotta replace them after a couple of years, even if you've never wrecked on them. Sure, it sucks to spend the $50 or whatever, but it's way way cheaper than wrecking in a helmet that's not up to par, right?

Guest Ghostrider

Is the click a result of wear on the intec or the binding?

I have a heel reciever on another board with almost no wear on it that I could swap out and see if that remedies it, but I dont really want to take the try and see approach to identifying this problem.

Any people have something similar who were able to identify the issue for sure?

Curious to see what 6,000 step-ins looks like?

Here are some pictures...

What concerns me the most is seeing how much the hole is rounding off.

Any BOL engineers out there want to tell me if I'm still in the safe zone?

Inside Heel Reciever

DSC02339a.jpg

Outside Heel Reciever

You can really see that rounding of the heel reciever

DSC02344a.jpg

See how deep that groove is from the top

DSC02345a.jpg

Guest Ghostrider
I'd bet $$$ that if you're riding in Raichle SB or DeeLuxe Lemans boots... the cant mechanism is either loose or stripped. I think the second click you feel may be the cant mechanism sliding up/down it's travel.

Head Stratos... good thought though.

those receivers are worn, but fine. are you certain youre making sure theyre IN when you stepin? well known issue. maybe theyre just a bit too tight, keeping the heel from engaging properly?

but like ben said..if youre worried, buy new stuff! really not expensive for peace of mind