Note to New Members ×

Tree Well - It really does happen...

Guest thomas_m

yep. almost got stuck in alpenthal in a tree well. it wasn't stable enuf and when i fell in head first, i panicked and started swimming out of it. cuz i just read an article bout a snowboarder who got asphyixated from the tree well. ironically, this was 6 years ago or so.

I got stuck in one last year upside down head downhill, man it was the scarriest 30 seconds of my life. I climbed the tree with my arms and choked on snow the whole time. When I got out, I sat there for about 5 minutes trying to relax and catch my breath. It seems to be a common occurence in the west. Lots of people I told about it had a simmilar story. At least I had a radio, if I calmed down enough to use it, I could have called another patroller to come and get me. Man, I can't imagine I could afford all the beer I would have to buy after that. :eek:

Guest Todd Stewart

yeah i fell down one a few years back, luckly i wen feet first and was able to pull myself out without too many problems. It was at panorama and belive it or not i was was riding with Nancy Green at the time. It was one of those meet and greet tourist things i did with my family. I went off to the side of the trail for a little bit of deeper tree riding; I guess thats what I get for sepperating form the group.

Happened to me on skis at Snowbird several years ago. I was alone and so nobody would have come looking for me for about a week. I got wedged in upside down and had to struggle for about 20 min just to get one ski released. If things had been crustier I'm certain I would have died there. I was slightly off a trail, almost nobody was at the Bird, had many runs all to myself. I've reinforced several lessons. 1. ski/ride with others 2. radios with fresh batteries

3. most important know what the h... your doing. (I did'nt)

A few buddies and I spent 2 days last season practicing getting out of them. We'd either ski into one or fall into one and try and get out in under 45 seconds. My best time for a complete invert was 8 seconds.

I think it's a great thing to practice, as you never know if or when it may happen.

Happened to me as well, luckily also able to climb up the tree with my hands. I was not completely inverted, and also not completely covered in snow. I often board by myself because I can go anywhere, the rest of the guys that don't ride longboards don't like the back leg fatigue.

Jim, I am curious as to the practicing you and your friends did.

Could you post your learnings in another thread? Perhaps even if others decide not to practice, your experiences may come into play in a desparate/serious situation.

Plus I would really like to post a safety area on my site and add your comments if that would be acceptable to you.

As snow falls tree branches divert it away from the trunk of the tree. As more snow builds around the bottom of the tree, the area around the trunk gets the least amount while just a bit inside the overhanging branches there is a buildup from all the snow that fell from the branches. (Kind of looks like a gopher hole if you take the tree out of it.)

Falling into one can mean getting stuck in a position where you wouldn't be able to get out. You could die of asphyxia from being surrounded in the snow that falls in on top of you. You could die of hypothermia if no one finds you in time.......there are other scenarios.....bottom line.... it's not where you wanna find yourself.

Guest toddflyingdog

Any tree rider in CO will eventually experience this.

Like getting caught in a slide, the key to survival is not breathing in snow.

Panic (like always) is your primary enemy. Take a nanosecond to collect yourself, if caught up. It may make all the difference. :barf:

Guest dragonsword5
As snow falls tree branches divert it away from the trunk of the tree. As more snow builds around the bottom of the tree, the area around the trunk gets the least amount while just a bit inside the overhanging branches there is a buildup from all the snow that fell from the branches. (Kind of looks like a gopher hole if you take the tree out of it.)

I'm still confused. I can't picture in my head what this looks like. I understand from all the other comments that it is dangerous if caught in one but I'm still having trouble actually picturing what this is :confused:

I'm still confused. I can't picture in my head what this looks like. I understand from all the other comments that it is dangerous if caught in one but I'm still having trouble actually picturing what this is :confused:

Basically it is a hole in the snow, or a region of much less-dense snow that is mostly invisible until you fall in it. Your skis or snowboard float on the surface and you go head down in the snow and suffocate to death.

I'm surprised so many people here have fallen into them and successfully gotten out.... conventional wisdom among me and my friends is that they are essentially impossible to extricate from, even with stepins, and are mostly fatal, but maybe we have an unrealistic view.

Batteries die. It's hard to use a radio when you're upside down. You can easily drop a radio or cellphone especially if you're feeling panicky. Those cheap consumer radios have no range.

I have one of these attached to my jacket at all times. Make sure it is a pea-less whistle (ie. Fox 40). You can hear these things for miles.

post-199-14184220937_thumb.jpg

I'm surprised so many people here have fallen into them and successfully gotten out.... conventional wisdom among me and my friends is that they are essentially impossible to extricate from, even with stepins, and are mostly fatal, but maybe we have an unrealistic view.

I think alot of people who get to ride in powder in tight trees have fallen in tree wells. Most fall in right side up, get stuck and after stuggling for a while get out. Its the unlucky ones that fall in head first and end up dead (avalung??). Perhaps falling in right side up isnt a "true clinical tree well fall" ??? Having intecs does make it easier to detach your board to get out after getting stuck right side up. With all the new snow in the cascades there is air trapped under the branchs of the trees so when you get stuck and try to swim or step out you end up punching a deeper hole into this air pocket and fall in deeper.

I never have fallen in head first ....and I hope this trend continues.

Jim

There is a thread about this over at snowboardseattle.com. Rather than repeat what I said there, I'll just give a link and suggest you read my reply from this evening. http://www.snowboardseattle.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1787 Basically, it's very important to remember that different kinds of snow pack up differently... you’ll never extract yourself in 8 seconds when the snow packs up like concrete. Be safe out there…