Note to New Members ×

my first day hardbooting...

Gleb

Toeside

Then this

repeat....

What are your shoulders doing? Leading the turn or counter rotating?

There's nothing like a good toeside....You've got to take the "leap" & go for it... :biggthump

oops... wrong church :rolleyes: where's that Bomber Hymnal? :p

Personal instruction IS the best...Videos without experience CAN lead to Major misunderstanding

Did you manage the "fly into the trees because you carved too hard" thing.

I remember when I did that because I over-angulated. :)

Not sure what over-angulated means. When I have been caught on the edge it is because I didn't or couldn't unweight the edge to start the new turn. Occasionally getting squished into the back seat for one.

As far as getting a good toe. Drive the front knee or both knees gently towards your toes. Play on a gentle slope until you really feel it start to hook up. DO NOT let your lead shoulder stay back or across the board (ie counter-rotated) - very hard to turn this way.

Just a couple of thoughts - good luck,

Jerry

Guest astan100

Yeah, I totally made up that word...but it came down to not being able to unweight. I assumed that was because I picked it up too high for the speed I was going.

Either way...awesome! Sometimes my toe side comes out very nicely, but it's not consistent. I'll try bending into the toes more...good tip.

Not sure what over-angulated means. When I have been caught on the edge it is because I didn't or couldn't unweight the edge to start the new turn. Occasionally getting squished into the back seat for one.

As far as getting a good toe. Drive the front knee or both knees gently towards your toes. Play on a gentle slope until you really feel it start to hook up. DO NOT let your lead shoulder stay back or across the board (ie counter-rotated) - very hard to turn this way.

Just a couple of thoughts - good luck,

Jerry

Either way...awesome! Sometimes my toe side comes out very nicely, but it's not consistent. I'll try bending into the toes more...good tip.

This is best done early in the turn way up on the side. Not really across the fall line. Too much there and the board will really hook up and throw you on your sphincter.

Hey Gleb, are you wearing wrist guards? I'd be scared to snowboard without them.

nope i didnt wear them this time but I really wanted to. I'm going out and getting some this weekend before i go again. My left wrist really hurt in the morning. The most pain i had was in my right shoulder. Because of wrestling, and an injury my sister caused before my memory serves me, I have a really, really bad shoulder.

Ok, so I started hardbooting about a week or two ago, and I can turn fine. I don't have any problems riding the setup. I was just looking to get a lesson so that I can start riding and carving better. A lesson in Park City (Park City Mtn Resort and The Canyons) are anywhere between $250 and $350! I never knew they were that expensive! Maybe I'll just teach myself, or if anyone wants to help me out they can. I'll buy them lunch or beer or something. I'm heading up to the Canyons now, there's powder up there!

Andy,

The cost of the lessons is because you're a hardbooter!

Not that being a hardbooter is bad, just that we're such a minority, to get hardboot-specific instruction, you have to book a private.

You could purchase a group lesson, and show up with hardboots, but most of the instructors are going to freak out when they see you in "Ski Boots."

If you can get ever get some time on hill with Billy Bordy, take him up on it. Keep in touch when you're gonna be at The Canyons too. If I'm ever not working, I'd be happy to take a few runs with you....

A lesson in Park City (Park City Mtn Resort and The Canyons) are anywhere between $250 and $350! I never knew they were that expensive!

Their website says a 1-hr private lesson is $110. While that is higher than many places, it's not too far out of the ordinary. You don't really want to go more than an hour anyway, because there is a limit to how much you can take in at one time.

Their website says a 1-hr private lesson is $110. While that is higher than many places, it's not too far out of the ordinary. You don't really want to go more than an hour anyway, because there is a limit to how much you can take in at one time.

I'm not exactly sure what the policy is at Park City, but a 1-hr private at The Canyons is only for walk-in's, and they will only book a hardboot lesson in advance. When booking in advance, you cannot book a 1-hr, only half-day or full-day privates are booked in advance, so no guaranteed hardboot instruction when booking a 1-hr at The Canyons.

Skully,

I'm almost always at the canyons. I'll be there again today, and tomorrow. Except I'll be teaching a friend to ride tomorrow, just on soft boots. But I'll probably be there again next week, and definately there on friday and saturday next week. I've got Billy's email, and I think phone #, so I'll email him in a while. So do you work at The Canyons? Thanks Skully!