Note to New Members ×

virus, hype or the real deal?

bobdea

I keep hearing all these crazy things about virus boards, are they all they are cracked up to be?

and whats up with the waxless base they offer?

are they worth the dough?

I am considering buying one this is why I ask, the more I hear though the more skepitical I become.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might want to contact Ray directly for accurate info on the Virus boards. He is a rep or dealer or both. Just check the forum search under VIRUS and you can email him directly from the PM.

No, not really a rep or a dealer. But a BIG fan and helping my friend Frank (owner of Virus) until things get really established here... (working on it...).

But if you have questions, please feel free to contact me: icom@netwood.net

Ray

I asked this very question last year. My experience with virus boards is, these boards are awesome. I have a phantom world cup and it rips. Other boards I have are a donek axis and a donek freecarve. I love those other boards but the virus is another level. Ray would be the guy to ask for sure.

Time to get infected!

kevbo:biggthump

I keep hearing all these crazy things about virus boards, are they all they are cracked up to be?

and whats up with the waxless base they offer?

are they worth the dough?

I am considering buying one this is why I ask, the more I hear though the more skepitical I become.

The "No wax base" is used for the first time now by Virus. It's a material mix of Teflon and others :nono:

No waxing required!

Am expecting my new board with the NWB any day now... will post some pics when I have it...

bobdea, what crazy things are you hearing?

Ray

I bought a Terminator Team Edition partway through last season, then picked up a Terminator Extreme Carbon and a Gladiator Extreme Carbon for this season. I only have one day on the new boards, but they deliver, no doubt about that. Extreme edge hold and variable carving radius, quite a different concept from other boards.

Without a doubt, Virus is worth the $$$.

Thanks Chris! I knew it would not take long until you post and sure can rely on you :biggthump

I just don’t want to be the first one all the time who praises VIRUS so much :1luvu:

BUT THEY REALLY DO DELIVER !!!

Ray

Sorry, that was a Tantalus (175) Team edition that I started out on. Nice board, really friendly performance, but at least five days of dedicated riding to get familiar with the Virus "way" of extreme edge grip and totally variable carve radius performance. Now I have two of the Extreme version boards, they are the next level up according to Frank, but still a friendly ride. Absolutely the best for icy and hard snow conditions, the edge hold is incredible. And yes I have ridden the old version 158 Madd. e me directly if you have questions, looks like I am the Canadian rep for Frank!

I have one..a Phatom 183 it was a spare race stock for this Lukas Grunegen,,guy... that I got direct from Frank..I think shipping and the bank transfer cost more than the board.. yep Spendy :mad:

Its its own thing and if you can afford to add it to your collection, its worth it if you like having unique boards..

I don't think its any better than anything else I have..

Personally I like the Coilers and the Madds.. Coiler for shear smoothness and madds for edge hold and snappy..

Its a cool show piece thats rides great but I would not say its the best.. I don't think you can really say that about anyboard.. some people ride different boards better than others.. comes down to what and how you ride..

Im lazy now... so I like the Coiler cause its so smooth and easy and the Madds cause it will be there when I need it the most.

Save your money and spend it here!

Right said Shred :barf:

MORE COWBELL!!! Your avatar kills me dude, I love that skit! Well, I've considered the Virus boards too, I was interested in the used 175 Psycho that Ray had from SES, but I just couldn't bring myself to plunk down that kind of money for a used board I couldn't lay my hands on or see in person. I'm sure the board was worth every penny and some lucky guy snapped it up and thinks I'm an idiot for not buying it, but I made the decision that I'd rather pay for a new one of my own with the specs I want. I'm still considering ordering one, although when I contacted Virus they didn't get back to me. I think the narrow waist was another draw back for me as far as being confident with it for the money I was looking at spending. I ride fairly steep angles, but a 15cm waist board was much skinnier than anything else I've ever ridden, and it was gonna take some convincing for me to believe I could handle it. I love the design features and am willing to spend the cash to get one, it's just that much as you are doing I wanted to get some feedback and do some research before committing to one. When I'm considering selling my prized possession Burner that took me 2 seasons and 2 continents to find you know I'm getting serious. Keep us posted on what you decided and any model specific feedback from all the others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

It's a big step to order a board with that kind of price without a demo(speaking out of experience). But in my case, it was worth every penny.

In fact, I am entertaining the idea of ordering another one this year.

It's a lot of money for sure, but it's not 'expensive' for what you get :ices_ange

sorry guys, but...this is actually kinda funny. y'all are considering spending $1400 on something you cant see, touch, smell, or even ride?

and arc...they didnt even respond and yet youre still thinkin about it?

sean responds to every email. so does bruce, and so does chris. heck so does chris klug and steve klassen (steepwater)...

if someone didnt respond to my email I surely wouldnt send my cash their way

and arc...they didnt even respond and yet youre still thinkin about it?

Note that Frank been very busy at the moment producing the SWOARD boards as well.

He doesn't even replay to those that they already have pre order their boards asking for delivery time.

I heard that he's working something 24 hours per day with his own and swoard orders so no time wasted on the net.

As for his boards o.k. didn't cost me so much cause I live in Europe but for sure they are a piece of art and ride better than they look.

Trust me

zylon boards hehe... the next hype thing! When you see the cost of that fiber, no wonder boards made with it are so expensive! frank sells more and more of them thu..They appear to work great!

He is indeed very very busy, producing for himself and for us. And we want to thank him for the great job he does. We are happy to have found him! The quality of the production is just awsome!

Nils

I could take a hit and resell it,

the only thing that would suck is that people refuse to read sometimes and insist on using a paypal account that draws from a credit card and stick me with the surcharge, normally I don't bitch about it too much but on a couple items I have refused to ship them untill I got the remainder of the balance, this is with the people that also tried to hagle with me about shipping and insisted on paying the 22.58 instead of the $25 that I listed.

My opinion on the replying to emails thing is that if you are the OEM for other companies and have no time its either time to hire some more people or time to set up a web shop with a pricelist so you can cut back on the interaction with customers but not come off as having bad service.

bobdea,

In terms of materials, I can say that VIRUS is for sure using the most advanced materials. He uses several different wood cores in combination with other materials like Kevlar and Carbon, depending which work best together… He was the one who for the first time used Zylon (artificial spider web) in snowboards... and now using for the first time the “No wax base”… Back when I was still living in Germany (’88) and started carving, VIRUS already was the choice of board for the people who wanted something special and advanced!

In terms of “best board of the planet”, I don’t know, Boards are a very personal thing and what is the best for me might not be for others.

Shred

As far as I remember, you have the Phantom I which is about 4 years old? Not really sure, but if that is the case, don’t you think that your comparison would be a little off? Would be more fair to compare the Phantom III (current model like kevbo’s!) with your other boards. Lot’s of big material changes in the last years…

Bob,

NICE RIDE! I am sure you will like it.

Philfell,

Bob’s board is the Gladiator which is 175cm w/ 17.1 waist. Basically the same specs as the Tantalus Chris started with.

ar(angel,

Let me know when you need more information or help with selecting the right ride. Maybe a 17.1 or even wider board will be better for you…

I spoke to Frank about your email… could it be that his mail bounced back? Maybe spam folder. Please email him again (or me) and provide your phone number so in case mail bounces back, he can call you!

bola,

Thanks for mentioning that. Most people think of VIRUS as very narrow boards only! Well, not the case at all.

D-Sub,

Dave! What can I say

nils,

Am so happy for you! Really great that the Swoard crew found a great manufacture for their incredible EC machines

Another note. In case you mail VIRUS and don’t get any feedback right away, please don’t be disappointed. Frank is so busy right now, he is working till midnight every day to fill his orders in the same high quality as always. Again, you can always email me as well if you have a question.

:biggthump

Shred

As far as I remember, you have the Phantom I which is about 4 years old? Not really sure, but if that is the case, don’t you think that your comparison would be a little off? Would be more fair to compare the Phantom III (current model like kevbo’s!) with your other boards. Lot’s of big material changes in the last years…

OH just like Asyms... so Jack was right!!!! Aysms are outdated and don't ride as good. :lol:

Not really ,,, I have ridden the new stuff..and I didn't notice much of a difference.. thats just me.. but really at that level meaning MADDS, Coilers, ect...they are all good.. so will it make you ride better...hmmmm not any better than whats half the price!!

They are awesome boards ,,look cool... I wanted to get another one.. but after talking to FRANK..and thinking he was going to do another custome for me ....NEVER emailed me back...

Same goes for Kessler... I personally talked to the owner and thought I had it worked out But could never get a reply...

Seems to be somehting about getting stuff from Germany!!! Don't know why...!

Left a bad taste !!!

The below was from Kessler from 2004 and never did get it

Hallo Ralph

Yes I going to produce your board, give me a little time about paying, at

the moment I aim very busy I haven't the time to check the tings about it.

Best regards

Hansjürg Kessler

Kessler Snowboard

Dorf

8784 Braunwald

GSM: +41 79 409 71 29

e-mail: office@kessler1.ch

Hallo Ralph

Sorry for forgetting you. I know you wrote me already in Juli. You where asking for a Board, because you plant to ride in Laax.

Below you see the lines I wrote you back then (blue color)

The board with surface Nr. 17 Costs about $1000 excluding Shipping and tax. At the moment the Swiss Franc is very strong so it makes it more expensive.

Kessler Boards have good image in icy conditions also they are very smooth to drive.

As probably the only real custom made brand, we can produce boards in every geometry and stiffness.

Hope to here of you

Best Regards

Hansjürg Kessler

Hi Ralph

Sorry for my late response. Since we are a real costom made brand we do not have boards on stock. If you know wath you want we can produce this board till you are in Switzerland in January. Our standart lengts around 180 are 174, 180, 185, 186 but we can also produce in between.

Dates wich we sould know to produce a Board:

lenght

waist width

sidecut radius

stance width

rider weight

stance angle

boot sice

position (regular goofe)

Our factory is about 1 1/2 hour away from Flims Laax. I could send the Board to your adress in Flims or I could handle over the board to sombody in Flims where you could pick it up.

Are there more questions please contact me again.

best regards

Kessler Snowboard

Dorf

8784 Braunwald

GSM: +41 79 409 71 29

e-mail: office@kessler1.ch

>Olympic Gold Winner Salt Lake 2002<

----- Original Message -----

To: <office@kessler1.ch>

Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 9:33 PM

Subject: Hello? why no response? looking to Purchase Kessler board

This is my 3rd time to contact Kessler!

Hello!

My name is Shred :angryfire

I have been trying to get information to buy a board from Kessler.

Below is what Im looking for!

Board length is 191cm, board width is 18cm middle, and with a sidecut

radius of 14.5m

Model No. 17 as shown on your web site.

Can you make this and what would it cost to get it to me in the USA.

Thank you very much!

Ralph

aka Shred Gruumer!