Note to New Members ×

Mammoth Mountain

Guest pcbowman

Guest pcbowman

I am new to this board and was wondering if there are any riders in Mammoth. I go up three times a month from Southern Cal. I can't find anyone in Mammoth to rent a board from to try alpine carving. I condiser myself an agressive freerider but would like to make the jump to alpine carving. I had a 166 Arbor A-frame and after riding on it 90+ times it is not stiff enough so I just bought a Palmer Crown LE and after reading this board I still don't think it is going to be stiff enough. Would anyone consier letting me ride one of their boards in Mammoth and teaching me a little bit. I have been riding for 15+ years and very proficient at riding the whole mountain. My daughter is on the ski team and my son competes in the unbound competitions and looking for a new challenge.

Thank you,

Peter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Peter,

There are a handful of us here who ride up at Mammoth and June. I am there about three weekends a month, and hopefully more often this season.

You have a few options actually. Wave Rave does indeed have some alpine boards, way up in the back of their racks. They don't really even know what they are, but I think they rent them out for $20 a day. You will need to provide your own bindings and boots though, and probably help them find them up in the racks. I know they at least have a Burton UP 162 and FP 167, as well as a few in shorter lengths.

I know this is a ways out, but you will have a wide range of excellent boards to ride in April at the Sierra Nevada Expression Session that I am organizing (along with some help hopefully guys? :)). Donek has agreed to provide some demos, and Prior will hopefully come through as well. I have a feeling you will need your own boots and bindings for this event as well though, as I have not been able to secure any boot or binding demos yet.

How much do you weigh and how big are your feet? You could probably ride my Burton Coil 165. You might even be able to get away with softboots on it if your feet aren't too big.

With that said, who's going up this weekend? Looks like we finally got a good storm! Lets hope this keeps up. :D

Guest pcbowman

I am 6ft tall and weigh 175 pounds. My foot is 10.5/11 in regular shoes, but I bought a pair of high-end burton SL-8 (size 10) last summer so I could have a better response then the step-ins I have been wearing for a number of years. I am used to cramming my foot into a boot because of rock-climbing and don't mind them being tight because I enjoy the performance. If I buy a pair of boots, can you rent bindings and a board at Wave Rave?

Thank you for your quick response.

Peter

Guest Randy S.

If you make it up to North Lake Tahoe, I probably have enough equipment to get you set up to try hardbooting. I'm pretty sure at least one pair of boots around my house will fit you, and I think I can get heels together for a full pair. I have some spare bindings and lots of boards around. Track me down if you make it up this way. Otherwise find one of the socal folks to help out.

Peter I've got some old burton stuff you may want to try. I also have a Vokl 178 RT and burton reactor boots size 29. All you need are the bindings! Often lots of carvers at Mammoth/June and most are friendly, helpful and oppinionated :argue: all in good fun! Keep in touch through the profile section.

Neil are you up right now? Any significant snowfall yet?

Neil are you up right now? Any significant snowfall yet?

Nope I am still down south. I am going to head up on Friday morning hopefully. This does sound promising though:

AREAS ABOVE 8000 FEET WILL BE NEARLY ALL SNOW AND COULD SEE UP TO 3 FEET BY EVENING WHILE AMOUNTS SHOULD EXCEED A FOOT IN THE 7000 TO 8000 FOOT RANGE. :biggthump

Unfortunately, I am not sure how much time on the snow I will be getting as I plan to be painting my new place for most of the weekend.

Are you heading up?

neil did you buy a pad?

if I get stuck in SoCal this winter (looks like I might due to a family thing)...you might have someone to share gas with you if you have a couch or somethin!

Dave,

Yessirreebob.. got a little place at Mammoth a few weeks ago. It needs a decent amount of work though. Once I'm done, we should have some space on the couch for the occasional crasher :)

need help with the work?

the more I think about it, the more it looks like Im staying for the winter, and I dont want to spend all my time at bull**** big bear resorts. baldy rocks when it snows, but...

so...keep me in mind, man. I am handy with tools, paint, whatever

need help with the work?

the more I think about it, the more it looks like Im staying for the winter, and I dont want to spend all my time at bull**** big bear resorts. baldy rocks when it snows, but...

Dave,

do you even consiter going to big bear any more? last time i went there i couldn't even make one turn with out having someone else there. limit lift tickets my A$$. i wont go back any more.

seems like the drive to mammoth is well worth it these days

oh and to the original poster:

there are a bunch of guys up at mammoth who have more boards than they know what to do with. sometimes i swear they want to own every board made. seems like tuthill has just about ever burner out there. but i'll talk to my pops and see if i can get you some emails to talk to one of those guys. they are way cool and always down to help out a convert. real good riders too. but nekdut is right you will prob need your own boots.

Guest pcbowman

While I am in mammoth this weekend I will get sized by a boot fitter so I can ensure I get the right size. Once I find the right size, anyone have any suggestion on a good used boot/binding i should buy so i can try this sport.

On a different note, do use alpine boards in powder, it seems that they are more for early morning groomed runs. I have a powder board i bought last year, o-sin 168 swallow tail.

I am looking forward to having a full quiver of boards to use this year. And to start smoking skiers who think they are faster than boarders. I usually tied my friends that where skiers on my all-mountain board so i am looking forward to the speed of an alpine board and riding the mountain and not the park!

Peter

need help with the work?

I'll let you know Dave. I have some friends helping with paint this weekend. But I'm going to be doing flooring eventually. Thanks for the offer. :)

Dave,

do you even consiter going to big bear any more? last time i went there i couldn't even make one turn with out having someone else there. limit lift tickets my A$$. i wont go back any more.

]

havent in a LONG time. although Ive heard mid-week is still empty most of the time. I usually just wait til it dumps at Baldy (iffy) or go up to Mammoth. I dont mind the drive...its the altitude problems that get me

I used to hit up summit all the time, and for being largely stuck in SoCal, I didn't think too poorly of it. That was 'bout 7-8 years ago. Now I look them up again, and their tickets are $60+ on holidays/weekends (which is about the only times I can get out of work, used to be ~$35-40)! :angryfire I'm sorry, but Summit is not worth sixty bucks, esp. when Mammoth is only $10 more! Guess I'll be driving straight past Big Bear on the way to Mammoth from now on.

-Jay

Are you heading up?

Neil, work is intense right now and will remain so untill after Christmas, but I do have two days, most likely Tues/Wed of next week or the following depending on the snow conditions.

Dave your back in the south land? Should be a fun cast of characters this year :biggthump looking forward to ridding with you boys.

Fullerton, amigo

dont mean to sound bummed, but Im not a fan of driving 2-3 hours for one day of riding, and I always get sick when I go to mammoth. goin from sea level to altitude just messes me up these days.

plus its darn $70 a day:)

edit: tryin to remember who it was I ran into that one day at mammoth (not literally)...when I was testin out the coiler AM? talked for about a minute then never saw each other again

edit: tryin to remember who it was I ran into that one day at mammoth (not literally)...when I was testin out the coiler AM? talked for about a minute then never saw each other again

Chair 25, super choppy crud :barf: conditions were variable at best and difficult to ride with any speed or angle, but still fun. I hope you didn't sell the coiler based on that day---it looked like a great board.

Anyway Neil's last post is what we all need to hear.

Peter,

I have a set of Burton Race Plate bindings you are welcome to borrow. Can't help you out with boots since my feet are much smaller than yours. Might be able to hook you up with a loaner board depending on what length you are interested in.

Many of us prefer June over Mammoth because of the better grooming and lighter crowds. Not sure if this works with your family but you may want to check it out.

Take care,

Tom

Chair 25, super choppy crud :barf: conditions were variable at best and difficult to ride with any speed or angle, but still fun. I hope you didn't sell the coiler based on that day---it looked like a great board.

Anyway Neil's last post is what we all need to hear.

so that was you! sorry...crappy memory

nah, I sold the coiler cuz it just didnt feel right to me. not my cup of tea. it was hella stiff, too (8.9 on bruces scale. pretty stiff)

that day SUCKED and I was having a hella hard time. holy crap I just typed hella twice and Im not even from the bay area.

it was hella stiff, too (8.9 on bruces scale. pretty stiff)

Hmm... You mentioned being over 200 lbs from what I remember, and you found an AM at 8.9 stiffness too stiff huh.. I just picked up an AM172 with a stiffness rating of 8.6, and I'm just over 180. This will be interesting. Not sure if this board will work for me, give what you're saying. Hand flexing, it feels very stiff for a board of its length especially considering its supposed to be an all mountain board.

Peter,

You should have no problem carving that Palmer Crown LE. If I were you I would spend the money on an awesome pair of boots a cheap pair of bindings and ride your Palmer until you can carve the snot out of it.

Then move on to another more carve specific board.