Note to New Members ×

Mammoth Mountain

Guest pcbowman

Hmm... You mentioned being over 200 lbs from what I remember, and you found an AM at 8.9 stiffness too stiff huh.. I just picked up an AM172 with a stiffness rating of 8.6, and I'm just over 180. This will be interesting. Not sure if this board will work for me, give what you're saying. Hand flexing, it feels very stiff for a board of its length especially considering its supposed to be an all mountain board.

Be careful comparing the Coiler stiffness index on different models! My PR 188 is a 6.6 and has a much stiffer feel than my AM 182 which is a 7.1. My wife's FC 165 is a 7.4 or 7.6 (I cannot remember) and I would probably break it if I rode it - but it's the perfect flex for her.

If the stiffness index measures something like deflection at the waist by supporting the ends and then hanging a fixed amount of weight from the waist, where more deflection is a smaller index number, then it all makes sense... a longer board, the deflection would be greater.

D-Sub - holy **** that thing must be stiff. I had a PR 184 with a 6.7 stiffness, so your PR 184 would have to me much, much stiffer. What did you tell him when you ordered? Mine was *perfect* for 195 pounds and variable conditions.

nekdut - definitley post here after you've ridden your AM 172. I would like to know how it felt to you.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nekdut - definitley post here after you've ridden your AM 172. I would like to know how it felt to you.

Definitely. I may give it a try tomorrow because of THIS:

It's powder heaven! The mountain is covered in 2 feet of fresh powder at Main Lodge and 3 feet at the top! The winds continue to howl out there letting us know that this storm isn't over yet. We are expecting snow to continue throughout the day with temperatures remaining in the 30s.

Mother Nature gave Mammoth just what we needed. With 2 feet of new snow, we will be opening Canyon and Eagle Lodges tomorrow with access to Canyon Express (16), Chair 8 and Eagle Express (15).We plan to operate 16 lifts this weekend.

It'll finally be way less crowded with the full width of the mountain open. Woohooo!! :ices_ange

On a different note, do use alpine boards in powder, it seems that they are more for early morning groomed runs. I have a powder board i bought last year, o-sin 168 swallow tail.

Peter

I ride nothing but plate bindings and hard boots (Burton Fire's that are all cracked to squat but still holding) in all conditions and all boards from Burners to Primes to a Frontier 185, Canyon 173, Burton Air 172 etc ad naseum infitum. In bumps, crud, pow, everything. Well I don't do parks and rails. I never let my edges touch anything but snow actually, no wood or other skiers or lift line loadies. Too much gear for sure. The point is you don't need to have two sets of boots.

Good luck with the boot fit.

Ah - you were talking about a different board I take it...

yup. 2 seasons ago I bought a coiler AM177wide from jack pearce. that was the 8.9

I didnt know jACK about modern carvers...and I sold it to Neuffy from here. poor kid is much smaller than I am, so it was definitely not right for him either. Ive felt funny about that ever since, but I simply didnt know!

mammoth is lookin sick! typical stormy blowout right now:)

mammoth is lookin sick! typical stormy blowout right now:)

Bachelor too. Another foot expected before the lifts open tomorrow. The storm *might* let up enough so I can bring a skinny stick on Sunday (i.e., < 5" of fresh) but I'm not goimng to complain if it keeps snowing, I :1luvu: powder as much as carving. Your Steepwater Plow would be loving it!

Lookin' forward to a Mammoth trip this season for sure (possibly during the SNES during the first of April :biggthump ).

Does anyone know if we'll be missing the spring break maddness during those days? DO NOT want another experience like last season - Mammoth in particular :barf:

BTW, northern Utah's getting it right now too - startin' to look like winter ...FINALLY :biggthump

Kirk my kids spring break is later in april and it seems that most breaks range from mid march to late april. It doesn't matter anyway, just go to June when Mammoth is crowded. You can ride it on the same ticket if the ticket was purchased at mammoth.

I'm trying to put my plans together for the WTC. Have the venues been decided yet? Maybe Park City and Snow Basin? Just got an email from oldvolvosrule and he is ready to go with tickets in hand. Anyway tell me what you know about the event. Thanks. GC

Neil, what are the conditions like up there? Is it freshies or did you get some groomers today?? Gdbytyler will be riding there tomorrow on his new Donek FC1 163, He will be with a few other guys on hardboots but from what Erwin told me they are just starting out on a carving set up. Keep an eye out for em!!

Neil, what are the conditions like up there? Is it freshies or did you get some groomers today?? Gdbytyler will be riding there tomorrow on his new Donek FC1 163, He will be with a few other guys on hardboots but from what Erwin told me they are just starting out on a carving set up. Keep an eye out for em!!

Well......................... I'm up here and been here since Friday afternoon...

but I havent been to the slopes yet.. :angryfire

Things at my place are taking way longer than expected. I hope to get a little time on the snow tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I'll keep and eye out for Erwin if I do make it out.

Gary, I checked out the webcam for today and all it was was just a strip of snow down Miracle Mile, it actually looked kind of pathetic so I opted not to go. There is supposed to be much cooler temps up the hill for the next few days, if that is the case I am hoping that they are able to open some more runs. I have Monday free and also Friday of next week so I am hoping to make it up one of those days.

Maybe I can talk my father into flying to Mammoth for some turns. Let see, Mammoth or Snow Summit? MAMMOTH!!! by a landslide.

Talked to my brother, who lives in Riverton, near the Jordan River, and he was able to make it out today for a few turns on skis, not at Riverton but up at Brighton.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Whata ya mean me and boards??? The English pateint has 16 Hots on his rack at his Mammoth place not to mention Franks Burnners,Hots, Mads, Sims all mountain stuff and boards I don't even know about in his garage. If I'm there, more than happy to help out. Bring Duct tape if a buckle goes out!!!

Whata ya mean me and boards??? The English pateint has 16 Hots on his rack at his Mammoth place not to mention Franks Burnners,Hots, Mads, Sims all mountain stuff and boards I don't even know about in his garage. If I'm there, more than happy to help out. Bring Duct tape if a buckle goes out!!!

i'm just busten your balls tim. that first time i met you, you had soo many boards. although i think you brought a bunch to show brian. i wish i had your guys quiver. hope to see you in dec in mammoth?

Guest Tim Tuthill

Devin: No biggy!! You are more than welcome to use what I bring. I got a box for the car. Works great. No boards in da car!!! Hope I can get to Mammoth prior to the 22nd. Speaking of Pryor, where is the boy??? avatar, Nice scope!!!!

you guys up in Mammoth between Christmas and new years?

I might come up a couple days...

Ray,

I will be there, probably from the 26th until the 2nd.

I will probably stay away from Mammoth and stick to June due to the crowds though. We'll see how bad it is. :)

Hopefully I'll actually get some time on the snow, unlike this past weekend!!! :angryfire

Gdbytyler will be riding there tomorrow on his new Donek FC1 163, He will be with a few other guys on hardboots but from what Erwin told me they are just starting out on a carving set up.

I rode Mammoth on Sat and Sunday and snow conditions and coverage were excellent. Grooming was sub-standard as usual. Cornice and Hangmans were open. Very light crowd. Longest wait in a lift line was maybe 2 minutes.

The first run on my Donek FCII was terrible. Halfway down Stump Alley, I even did a nice face plant. I'm glad I was wearing a helmet. The problem was the storage wax that came with my new board. I just left the storage wax on and figured the excess would just rub off. But it just made the board unrideable. When I got to the bottom, I scraped off the wax and rubbed on some new wax. Then the board felt like the Donek I demo'd last spring.

My buddies showed up Saturday afternoon and they tried out their new alpine boards on Sunday. One new hardbooter was on a Swoard 161 /TD2/Raichle setup and the other new hardbooter was on a Burton FP 167/Burton boots and plates.

I saw one other guy (looked like a teenager) on hardboots but didnt' talk to the guy.