Note to New Members ×

Conditioning

Guest Tim Tuthill

Guest Tim Tuthill

How many run,jog or do heavy impact training??? At 62 years old, I have done none of these thru my life. I have never injured my back or knees. Thru my flying career of 33 years all the guys that ran etc. are in some kind of pain now. A number of them went out on a medical retirement because of these injuries. Walking is best followed by the good old bike, yoga, wieghts and the like. If you want to make it last, the bod that is, don't pound on it. And, of course, stay active unless your taking a nap. Oh yeah, I forgot one. Don't stand at the Bottom of Buttermilk by the jump runout in the slow zone.

I'm pretty much an outdoor sports junkie (carving, hang gliding, road biking, whitewater canoeing, etc.) and I have never worked out in a gym. I've tried a few times, but it kills my spirit---I can't stand being indoors. If I'm gonna burn calories, I'm gonna be outdoors!

Like you Tim, I've never had any injuries either. I'll take it one step further and admit I've never even stretched out before doing something. My philosophy---whch has always been successful---is the best warmup is to actually do the sport, just take it slow and easy for the first 30 minutes, then ramp it up.

Scott

PS - I dont think there is any doubt, though, that blowing off gym conditioning is only for us non-world-class-competition folks. If you're training for the Olympics, you better be in the gym all winter!

My motto about running is after I've ran outa bullets! Seriously, though, I do walk a lot, and have started uphill walking with a weighted pack for conditioning for the climbing season. I can run, do it sometimes, but get little to no pleasure out of it. Am working out with my wife, stretching/pilates/light weights, flexability is as important as endurance for me. Spirited walking gives you almost the same benefits as running healthwise without the risks of injury associated with running. The only indoor workouts that I enjoyed in the past were associated with martial arts, must have been from the total focus required to avoid being pounded by your opponent!

I've tried most exercise machines along with jogging and biking and have settled on a torture rack, I mean Nodic Track type machine (VitaMaster). It seems to give the best workout for the time spent without impacting my 60 year old knees too much. I liked riding a bike but found that the weather had too much influence on my exercise schedule.

Guest Tim Tuthill

This is good guys!!! Frank: Pick up the phone and some more 12 ozzzss!!! Did you see the pics of Pipe?? I think I may go into position on the next one?? The guy hangn 5 on the 12 footer has to be equaled by an old guy. Done it before, what the hell, one more time with no cord!!! Scott, sounds like Frank and me!!! way to go!!! Guys go to hawaiianwatershots.com to see what I'm talking about. Pipe doesn't do this all that often. So, the guys in position get it real good. Oh, can you believe the amount of guys in the water?? Enjoy, and take your time, there are allot of pics. Oh, as you can see, Frank goes big on occasion. Rincon???

Tim

The avatar pic is razor backs up at the Hollister ranch on a huge day but Rincon can and does get that good but not to often.I was riding a 8 ft. balsa wood gun that I brought back from the north shore that Mike Diffenderfer shaped it was one of those once in a life time magic boards all chamberd out

and very light .There were only two of us out on this day nobody wanted it.

As for Pipeline not sure if I could meet the challenge I spent ten years of my life trying to master that wave and that was before the crowds arrived.

Heres one wave I did make I had more hair back then . On my head that is.

Frank

post-264-1418422072_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim Tuthill

Good shot Frank!! Look at the web site. We have both been there. As you know it does not do it like that very often. The channel is clear, anyone can get out with a cord!! They should be outlawed. It would be much safer IMO!!!

I spent a lot of time running during my teens and early 20's as training for paddling kayaks or just playing football. When I was 29 (about 12 months ago) I saw the surgeon who told me my kneecaps were buggered. I had to have both of them arthriscoped and now have no cartilege left on either one. I've been told that I can either stop running and playing football, or alternatively have both my knee caps replaced before I am 40. Not exactly a difficult choice.

For training now I do a bit of swimming and riding mtb and road bikes as well as walking. Also doing heaps of kayak paddling, though I am getting a bit concerned with what this might ultimately do to my back and shoulders (my dad paddled for 20 years and has had a hip replacement and lining up for a shoulder reconstruction). It is just the repitition.

I'd stick to swimming, riding, walking and snowboarding. And if you feel particularly energetic, make a point of doing at least one hike a day rather than ride the lift!

Tim - you've brought up an interesting point. The past several seasons I trained hard trying to get the legs in shape for opening day. No matter how hard I worked out, it always seemed to be a different part of the muscle that was affected. By the end of the first day on the board, the left calf and quad would be trembling.

This year I've been too lazy to hit the gym. I only did about 400 miles on the road bike all summer and didn't log a lot of distance on the unicycle. I've had the training regimen of a lethargic slug. So it was with trepidation that I tackled Okemo on Saturday.

The legs felt fine! Other than the normal soreness in the right knee I have no complaints. Maybe there's a message there.