Note to New Members ×

Looking for advice on next board

mnovak

Hi gang,

Looking for some guidance on getting a freecarver. I'm a pretty new to carving, and got about 35-40 days or so in hardboots and have only used a soft, wide, all mountain. Want to step up to a freecarver that can work well on narrower trails and east coast conditions.

As a starting point, if I could, I would probably get a Coiler FreeCarve or All Mountain in the shorter lengths, but they are sold out for the year. So, I am looking for other ideas. I weigh about 160 lbs, so I figure a medium level of stiffness in whatever board makes sense, a radius less than 10m, and a waist width that handles mondo 26.5 worn at maximum of 55/50 (18 waist shouldn't be a problem?). I'm nervous about board length and envision having issues on narrower runs with a board much longer than 170, although I know that different boards can have such different characteristics that length is merely one factor in turnability. Would a 178 freecarver like a f2 silberpfeil (or Coiler FreeCarve for that matter) be too much board?

I also considered a slalom race board, which is short and can turn fast, but understand that they can be twitchy and require some real skill to run on anything but smooth piste. I have ruled out a GS race board because I don't go that fast and I don't want to be restricted to the wider runs. Hence, my preference for a freecarver or all mountain that carves almost as well (e.g., like the Coiler AM).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! :biggthump

Mark

Radii less than 10m are in slalom board territory, but take a look at the Donek Freecarve series. You would probably be very happy on the 167.

The FC series is available in two widths to suit your needs: 18cm and 19.5cm.

If you wanted something a bit more forgiving, but still a blast to ride, take a look at the new Pilot series.

All specs and info are available at: http://donek.com/

...I weigh about 160 lbs, so I figure a medium level of stiffness in whatever board makes sense, a radius less than 10m, and a waist width that handles mondo 26.5 worn at maximum of 55/51 (18 waist shouldn't be a problem?).

With those stance angles/boot size, you will definately have overhang. I have mondo 24 boots, angles at 55/51 and 19.5 cm waist (Donek 163 FCII). The toe and heel of my boots are right at the edge of the board.

If you want 55/50 angles, you might have to find a board with a 20cm + waist.

With those stance angles/boot size, you will definately have overhang. I have mondo 24 boots, angles at 55/51 and 19.5 cm waist (Donek 163 FCII). The toe and heel of my boots are right at the edge of the board.

If you want 55/50 angles, you might have to find a board with a 20cm + waist.

wtf?

prior 185, 19.5cm, 27mondo boots, and I ride at about 55/60...how in the world can a 24 be so close to that?

must have something to do with sidecut and flair on a shorter board?

I fit 28mondo on a 18.8cm waist RC with 57/54. Another choice if you aren't dead set on Coiler is a Donek Axis the 167 has 21.5cm waist which should give you a huge choice of angles...plus the added factor of Sean not being sold out for the year

Yeah, the length of board and sidecut radius, along with waist width will determine how low you can go with stance angle before you get overhang.

But with a 10m sidecut radius or less, that is usually on the shorter boards.

Also, I checked for overhang with a level. If you just eyeball it, you might have some overhang, but not realize it.

I tried a 172 f2 silberpfeil last year and thought it was fantastic. It held very well on hard snow but was also easy and smooth in softer snow. You can check out the different lengths and stats at the B.O.L. store.

For eastern riding the silberpfeil seems like a good choice.

Hi gang,

I weigh about 160 lbs, so I figure a medium level of stiffness in whatever board makes sense, a radius less than 10m, and a waist width that handles mondo 26.5 worn at maximum of 55/50 (18 waist shouldn't be a problem?). I'm nervous about board length and envision having issues on narrower runs with a board much longer than 170, although I know that different boards can have such different characteristics that length is merely one factor in turnability.

Mark,

Just for perspective: I'm riding a 26.5 shell and have been running 55/60 on my Madd 170 (18 cm waist) - I'm not comfortable with anything less than 55 on that deck. Like to keep things clear for LOTS of inclination!

Oh, I think the 170 was originally thought to have a sidecut in the 10.5 m range (It's definitely a tight turner!).

If you think you could handle an 18cm wide board... the Madd 158 is an east coast ice weapon.

Come on Jack! He says he is new to carving and you suggest a board that requires advanced technique (from what I read several times on this forum) to be ridden properly. 18 cm is not the issue for the Madd, the forward loaded camber and stiffness may be more of a factor (again from what I understand).

I have to say I have never ridden one, maybe there is something I am missing?

I'm also looking/learning about the carving boards and am shopping for something similar. I want a carver that I can take everywhere. I'm a softboot carver converting to hardboots and I like to ride the off piste. I also have to ride some east coast so I need something that is flexible. I'm considering the Prior 4x4 and the axis right now. I was at Whistler and saw the priors and they are a sweet board. AL