Note to New Members ×

OT: Twin Tip Ski Advice....

Speedzilla

My cousin called me tonight looking for my advice on a twin tip set up. He needs the whole package. Skis, boots, bindings.

I know nothing about twin tips.

He's fairly new to the sport and spending his own hard earned cash on some new equipment. Big deal for a kid his age.

Any good deals to be had out there?

Any good online shops?

Any brands to avoid?

Thanks all!

My skier friend wants some Solomon's, they seem alright. Also according to the website it looks like Donek just started making an alpine version of their telemark skis. For bindings I have no idea but becuase of this thread I'll probably do some research. And for boots, my advise would be to find out what qualities you want in a boot and then try on as many boots that fit those qualities as you possibly can and find the ones that fit the best.

I'd take a good look at the Doneks, too.

Stay away from K2 enemys: I got a free pair, and they are noodles. While OK in the bumps/trees (And probably park), they are horrible everywhere else and even looking at them too quickly causes them to chatter. Forget about icy slopes. It's a huge assumption on my part (Az of Ewe and Me) but I wonder if most park/pipe specific skis are noodles.

Probably anything marketed for Skiercross, or all mountain would be good. You say he's a beginner looking for a whole package? There are probably some really kick-butt package deals out there right now, with beginner-oriented gear (Scratch my skiercross statement for beginners.)

I'm not in the market for new skis this year, so I'm way out of the loop on specific brands, etc, but as I said above, those new Doneks are very appealing, and would fit the sweet spot in my quiver between my noodles and GS skis.

Ah. I like my rossignols stratch twin tips 173, and i use rossi bindings with UPZ boots. -shrugs- got 'em at a tent sale last fall for a good price (i.e. reasonable prices as opposed to the "normal-pre-omg-christmas-prices").

Best bet would be to look at the tent sales going on in the area of wherever your cousin is. he could go to the library and review freestyler ski magazine or freeze magazine of last year to see the comparision and go by that-a-ways?

I hear Line series are good skis, and i dont know how their "4x4" hole pattern insert are faring, tho.

Line - A lot of our local guys rip on 'em. Great park ski/Urban scenario. Stay away from their bimding. go with a Marker freestyle binding (no plate)

Volkl - arguablely the big moiuntain ski of choice. years of experience. great skiis in general

4Frnt - new to the scene. probably noodly...

Armada - Tanner halls company. good skiis. similar to lines.

K2 - Seth morrison. Shane Mcconkey. Pep Fujas. Some of the best free skiers in the world ride em...can they all be wrong?

boots. get a fairly soft boot. all companies are making something freestyle specific now. Stiff boots break legs...

Bindings. Rossi or Marker. Freestyle specific. no linked toe and heelpeices.

I would try to stay away from buying online as this is your first foray into the ski market. find a good shop and listen to the salespeople. at a good shop they won't just blow smoke up your butt.

If you pick up the latest Ski Canada, they have a comparison test of twin tips. The only thing I remember is them saying the new Priors aren't much good on the groomed and that most of the new companies - 4Front, Line, etc - build them bulletproof for the rails and big landings, not so much with the knowledge on how to make them turn. I think the bigger-name skis are mostly OK.

I just bought myself a pair of Head Mad-Trix here in New England. This is going to be my first season on them but I did demo a pair of Scratch's- those were noodles. The Mad-Trix are wood core which is good and they are less noodley (by a long shot) so they are going to be better for riding the entire mountain- especially the ice in this region.

my boyfriend swears by rossi scratches-he's an alpine skier. i love my k2 fujatives but it should be said that i tele on them so they might be too noddley with an alpine setup. this years scratches are a bit wider so more float but older models have full wood cores so they will last longer. salomon's tend to be more spendy but i've heard good things about the pocket rockets-good in all conditions and nice and wide for powder.

I just bought myself a pair of Head Mad-Trix here in New England. This is going to be my first season on them but I did demo a pair of Scratch's- those were noodles. The Mad-Trix are wood core which is good and they are less noodley (by a long shot) so they are going to be better for riding the entire mountain- especially the ice in this region.

i myself cant tell since im just starting to skiing.

btw as salomon skis go, i stay away from cap style top sheets. pain in the ass to repair, hence my primary reason to get the rossi stratch -- sandwich construction. easier to repair. i just beat the crap out of my skis, as well my other sandwich snowbaords. come to think of it, none of my 8 snowboards are cap style sheets. boy am i relieved.

Elan MO2. The only ski that is versatile enough to let you carve long AND SHORT radius on groomed (smallest SCR of all competition ~16m) , would do powder pretty well, and rule in the park. It even has the special steel reinforcement in the base under the foot for the rails etc.

But then, why the fat twin tips, unless he is planning to spend most of the time in the park/pipe or in powder? This is the marketing pressure on the public, where the skis are going fatter and fatter every year, and moving from propper skiing to monkey business (like it happened to snowboarding). Average skier spends 90% of the time on groomed slopes, so anything over 70mm-75mm waist is excessive and would carve less good than a narrower ski. Good pair of all-mountain carvers or all mountain riders is the best choice for “one pair quiver”.

Boris

Guest jschal01

go to www.tetongravity.com forum and use the search function, or better yet point your cousin there, he'll have a better idea of where and how he wants to use the skis. Most of the responses have focused on skis, boots and bindings are just as important, he needs to think about use again and then get the right boot first and foremost.

I snowboard hard boot, soft boot and also ski so can give some advice.

I use K2 enemy (fairly soft) at 173 and Line Mothership at 170 and 180. I like the enemy. Yes it chatters a bit but is very forgivign on bumps, jumps and trees. Its pretty narrow. The 170 Lines are fatter and softer but a bit too small for me. I spent most of my time last year on the 180s. They are stiff enough and long enough for me and are quite fat (97 mm).

I am 5'8, ~150 lb. In the past, I have tried Salomon Pocket Rocket, Volkl Explosives and Atomic R:Ex.

If I were buying something this year, I would get the new K2 public enemy (cheap, durable, pretty good, 1 cm fatter than my enemy) or the Karhu Jak team edition (fat twin).