Note to New Members ×

Toronto carvers: Free snowboard tune-up at Sporting Life

skategoat

John:

The form was just sitting at the cashier's desk and I spotted it and asked about it. The cashier didn't even know about it. She had to ask a manager if it was valid. So, you might have to ask around or even call ahead. I filled mine in at the Sherway Gardens store.

Henry

Guest Todd Stewart

solid, i sent them an email to see is there is any way you can sign up online. I'll keep you guys posted. I checked thier website and noticed that the guy was doing a base grind on a coiler. cool cool

Yeah, Bruce actually gets his factory boards ground there after building them. I believe he brings them all to the Yonge street location. I think one, maybe 2 guys work exclusively on them, so you may want to make a request to have them work on your board.

Gabe

...makes me almost think about bringing a board when I have to go to Toronto next week. :cool:

Anyway, since it'll be my first time over there (and I'll be there for the whole week), is there anything I should plan to see/do in Toronto while I'm there? ...unfortunately I'll have to work during the day, but should have some time in the afternoons...

Hagen.

Hagen, you are a lucky man. I am the unofficial Goodwill Ambassador for Toronto.

First off, ignore the brochures at the airport, forget all the tourist traps and "must-sees". No one who actually lives in Toronto goes to the CN Tower, Science Centre or ROM. They are typical tourist attractions. The only reason you might want to see them is if you have kids.

You'll want to visit the various neighbourhoods and partake in the food, people-watching and nightlife. Tell me where you're staying and I can give you some specific recommendations.

A couple tips:

Do not eat in the hotel.

Bring your walking shoes.

Stay far away from the Eaton Centre.

Be adventurous and try something new.

Henry,

I'll be staying in Markham. The hotel is close to the highway 404/407 intersection. Looking at google maps - doesn't seem like a very exciting area.

But I'll have a rental car - so I could go to the more interesting places.

And yes, I usually enjoy the going out to interesting place to eat and people watching. So any suggestions are welcome...

...talking about suggestions - what are the good beers up there?

Hagen.

Like drzone says, Markham is the place for Chinese food. Sort of the old story where an immigrant group becomes affluent and moves to the suburbs. The Chinese don't live in Chinatown (downtown) anymore. Or eat or shop there. There's a place called Big Mouth Kee on Hwy 7 and East Beaver Creek. The best, freshest seafood.

Other than the Chinese food, Markham is boring as hell with the exception of Pacific Mall. Steeles Ave. and Kennedy Road. It's like a slice of Hong Kong. Amazing shopping there. http://www.pacificmalltoronto.com/en/

Email me if you want to take this offline. This is supposed to be a snowboarding site, right?

One last thing, watch that you're not driving on the highways during rush hour. Traffic can get really bad. As for the 407, it's a (very expensive) toll route that's all automated (cameras in the air take pic of your plates and send you the bill). Your rental agency will ding you for the fees plus administration. Better to stay off it.

Beers - try to find Creemore Ale. Microbrewery just got bought out by Molson's but their quality hasn't suffered yet. Most of the Sleeman brews are good. Rickards' Red is nice. I'm partial to Guiness but that's not exactly local. Avoid anything Labatt or Molson. Sort of the Buds of Canada.

I recommend either Queen Street West or College Street (Little Italy) as good places for restaurants and nightlife. Typically they have smaller places, and there are lots to choose from. It's not too bad to get to from Markham either, just head down the Don Valley Parkway, then across the Gardiner. Get off at Spadina Ave.

(The Toronto Life website has a good restaurant listing page. Unfortunately you need to know the neighborhood names. This site can help with that. Not sure that the cross referencing is 100%

Guest Todd Stewart

my favorite area of town in kensington market, you might want to get there before it completely sells out. its right beside china town which no one really finds all too exciting. I'll second all those beer choices but would like to add any Amsterdam beer too the list. They are brewed right in the city and they have some interesting brews, Rasberry wheat ale sounds like it would suck but i quickly stole it from my gf after just one taste.

Hagen:

If you want to get together for a beer - I am halfway between Markham and the Downtown.

I will be in North Carolina for the last big slalom skateboarding event, until Monday, but will be free throughout the week.

If you want to skate, can provide you all the tools.

This might be a great reason for all the Toronto/GTA riders to get together for an early season beer.

All the best

Rob

Thanks for all the info.

It would be nice to meet you guys and I'm already talking with Henry about getting together. We could meet on Wednesday or Thursday.

Skateboarding would be nice... But I'm afraid I would hurt myself. ...got my first skate board on my 30st birthday, tried it out after a few drinks and hurt my knee - doh...

...and I'm sorry for hijacking this thread. :ices_ange

Hagen.

Hey guys, yeah I'm up for getting together with the TO group for a pre-season brewski. You guys who bought up the Coilers: :angryfire Actually, I was warned at the beginning of last season! So, to myself: :smashfrea Ah, well, I suck anyways so I won't be embarassing Varsava with my own unique face planting style.

Hope to see you sooner rather than later,

Mark

Unfortunately, I'm no longer living in Ontario. I was recently transferred out to Northern Alberta (home of black-gold). Wish I could have joined you all.

And, yes, I did get in for a couple of coilers mnovak! Bruce just emailed me the other day asking about topsheet options...now I'm getting excited!

Take care;

Gord