Note to New Members ×

OT: Extreme MTB jump

Phil

I have seen that one before, but I cant believe the balls those guys have. I have stood at the end of some of the Gap ramps in my area and cannot imagine riding them without doing some special drugs. Kids are going bigger and bigger all the time, but I think the injuries are on the rise too. I will stick to some technical single track and small jumps thank you . Even If I wanted to go big, I dont think I would find a bike that would'nt snap under my 230 lbs of punishment. I am constantly fixing my Devinci Guzzler while riding like a pussy. :o

Guest Randy S.

One foot left and another 3-4 feet of carry and he'd have stuck it.

Dang that looked like it hurt. Looks like something I'd do. :smashfrea Well, something I would have done 20 years ago. The bar for "extreme" has certainly been raised since I did insane things. I thought a 15ft cliff drop on a snowboard in 1987 was gnarly. Yeah, right.

OK, not being very computer literate, how do I get rid of all the annoying buffering when I'm trying to watch a video online. I still haven't been able to watch the new Harbooter.com movie. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking forward to watching this kid eat it.

plain and simple people are just plain nuts! Snow is one thing but that takes balls on a bicycle with limited suspension.

Erik the solution to your problems is to get high speed. But the more I think about it its probably not available in your area. DSL is 15 bucks a month.

erm...don't people save these videos to their hard drives?....

"view-pagesource"

"find "wmv""

"copy file address to bar/saving program"

"save to hard drive"

"watch at leisure"

I'm using Firefox without the wmv player installed, so they don't even show up, and if I just copy the file location to the title bar, they save to hard drive...

Try that.

you guys claimin you would do that need to stfu.

Who said that they would do that?

I'm with Fleaman - I am 230 pounds and I don't know if there is a bike available that would get me through that jump safely - not even a Brooklyn or Karpiel. At 230 pounds, you have to wonder if your body can take it too.

I am sure that this jump (maybe with a pro sticking it) will be (or already is) in a video, so I will see it sooner or later.

SICK!

absolutely sick indeed!

heh...there's no way to do that jump safely, and youre right...at 230 it might not be a good idea to even try.

I thought someone said "I would do that"...I was probably wrong.

I wouldnt. thats for sure

if that jump does get done...I hope they get it from the side, too, as the distance looks longer than the drop is high, no?

just NUTS I say

Being a nerd, I always wonder how many people [get someone to] do the math before they attempt stuff like this. It would probably take some experimenting to figure out some of the parameters (like, how much friction on the way down the ramp, what's the difference between the ramp's takeoff angle and the effective angle due to rider input, etc) but to it shouldn't be too hard to calculate one's probability of success.

Danny Way said he basically just eyeballed the Great Wall jump, which just blows my mind. I can see how one's judgement would get pretty good at that sort of thing with practice, but still... if it was my life on the line, I'd want someone running the numbers beforehand.

67 foot gap peak to peak. About a 20 foot vertical over the 67 feet.

On a Cortina DH bike with spiked tires.

It was a pretty easy gap actually. Just took me an hour to get up the nerve.

25 foot to 35 foot gaps are common in DH doubles. They get farther apart as the hill gets steeper, but the effort is about the same.

But, what this guy is doing is sick. The vertical is what makes this jump scarry as hell. Also, no margin for error. If you short it (Like he did) you land on the flat.

yeah, the drop is obviously far more dangerous, but still...nearly 70 feet? sounds pretty crazy to me

I have no idea what a Cortina bike is, or what difference spiked tires would make.

Ive done MAYBE a 30 foot drop on a snowboard...and some decent sized gaps, but still only maybe 30 feet max.

I guess Im just a big fat sissy