Note to New Members ×

New Donek Site

Donek

We've just launched the new site for this season. We'd love to see your feedback. Please let us know if you find any typos or have any problems with the site.

We have some cool new stuff up. Of course the new pilot specs and graphics are there. You can read about the new olympic construction. We've also started a new World Cup Diaries section on the team pages. Peiodically the team will be chiming in and giving you all news about their experiences on the World cup. Right now we have an article by Michelle Gorgone on training in Chile and the first installment of Adam Smith's journal while in Europe. He's been away from an internet connection for a few days, but will make an update in the next few days which I'm sure will include his recent podium. Thorndike has an article in the works that I've read a draft of and Eric warren will post soon.

We hope you like it.

Thanks

Sean,

Looks great! Good work.

Its nice to see the final Pilot specs on paper. I was wondering what you were doing with both a 167 and 168 length, but now it makes sense with the difference in sidecut.

The Axis page seems to be missing the 177cm length option, but its listed on the specs page.

I can't wait to hear more about the Olympic Construction. Was anyone here lucky enough to have tested it for Sean? If so, please do tell. Especially if you tested it a FC 171 with it.

The Olympic construction certainly sounds good (increased dampening was one of the major things I wanted from Donek, that and a softer flex - which was also made to the FC series), but from what I read from the website, it only is available with the race models.

This year's website is even better than last years in terms of navigation and layout.

As for colors, does anyone else think the orange on the bottom looks very reddish, I notice this a lot on internet photos, maybe it's part the camera, part my definition of orange (I think neon or the fruit).

Guest Randy S.

Sean, what's a "ski screw retention plate" mentioned on the ski page about alpine skis?

Can I get a pair of 210cm skis to match my snowboard? Just kidding.

Prices went up. Still a bargain though. My Freecarve 1 is still my favorite board. I'm gonna cry on the day I finally have to retire it (I can't seem to break it so sooner or later I'll have to retire it). Actually I won't cry, I'll just order a new one.

I love the sections on how the boards are built. Oh, and its good to see this is a woman dominated business (2 of 3 people on the "who we are" page are women. This one in particular is HOT! :

claire1.jpg:1luvu:

The World Cup Diaries are cool. Can't wait for more. Post updates here when we can read new ones.

Anybody notice the "Race Case" in the softgoods section? Padded and holds up to a 200cm board. The Bomber sleeves are nice for basic protection or when putting multiple boards in a carry bag, but this padded case looks sweet. Plus it has a Donek logo on it! Which reminds me. Anyone wonder what the TSA folks think when you check your board in a "Bomber" slip case. Do they check anything with the word "bomb" extra carefully? :eek:

Donek Rules!

The Olympic construction certainly sounds good (increased dampening was one of the major things I wanted from Donek, that and a softer flex - which was also made to the FC series), but from what I read from the website, it only is available with the race models.

Look on the FC page - it says Olympic construction is available for FC's too. I eagerly await some demo reports.

Wonderful site as always. Also you have some classic pictures in the photo site. The b&w of DIA is just indescribable. Two things: in the tech section the video link doesn't work and under Edge-Tacking I think "pre-assemble" is missing a "d".

I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from snowboarding for a little while (going with skis for a little while for kinesthetic reasons, with a little regular footed in the meantime, vs. goofy-footed in the past) but upon re-entry, I might have to try one of the new-construction decks. My old 175 is almost out of base material, and I sure-as-hell ain't riding the BS every day, that's part of why I have to take it easy in the first place. My God, for those who haven't ridden one, you just don't know. At least the one I have. Truly a smite-thee-for-thy-mistakes kind of board, or at least launch you 70 feet horizontally and maybe... 2 feet vertically. But, man I got back on my Donek after riding that beast for a while, and I have to say I was mucho pleased. I'd love to have a Donek with the new construction, slightly longer and a bit stiffer... but for now I'm braving it with some Atomic 201 SGs and some 173 P40s for normal days. Anyway, I just want to give another show of support for a unique, pleasurable, and very high-performance product. Still my fav'.

Nevertheless,The idea of metal in a Donek just has me drooling. One of these days, perhaps? It seems that carbon fiber and kevlar and such isn't really necessary for your boards, and the new design looks exceptional (I will certainly show up to the Session this year) even though I love the regular feel... but a layer of metal or two would, in my mind, complement the board extremely well for those wanting it. What I really mean is holy s&^t that would be an insane ride!

BTW, I was wondering if you have any plans for additional ski designs? Some fatties with the new construction would be a gas.

OK, yes the orange doesn't really represent the true color very well. If you look closely, you'll see that some of the boards on the graphics page have old top logos on them. This is because we don't have new photos yet taken with my new super cool camera. Actually, I've just gotten better at taking pictures. We will update those photos as soon as we can.

Mooner and I are talking about some new ski shapes. We'll be prototyping early this year and may have them available by February. We're also toying with an aproach ski design, but I'd imagine that will be a bit further off as it is a colaborative effort on the mechanism.

Skier on the homepage: There are actually 6 images that load at random on the front page, so you could get mooner skiing, Thorndike or Gorgone racing, or Ryan in the park.

I know there are a lot of questions about the olympic construction. We're really keeping it a bit of a secret for now as we don't want to help the other guys just yet. I can say that there is a huge difference in the performance of the boards with regards to realy hard poorly groomed snow. The boards ability to absorb the chatter is very evident as soon as you get on it.

Once the season gets started, we will be doing a side by side comparison of the standard construction and the olypic both in Colordo and the East coast. This will be done by a few riders in both regions. We'll be posting there feedback here so you can hopefully get a clear view of the differences.

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke to Sean today, he described his back-to-back test of the Olympic vs regular construction and decided to "just do it" - I have a FC 175 Olympic on order. That's right, FC 175 - added to the lineup today - specs are shown below. Can't wait to ride it!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=170>163 Freecarve I </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=170>163 Freecarve II </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=170>167 Freecarve I </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=170>167 Freecarve II </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=170>171 Freecarve I </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=170>171 Freecarve II </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=170>175 Freecarve I </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=170>175 Freecarve II </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=170>179 Freecarve I </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=170>179 Freecarve II </TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=45>

</TD><TD width=55>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=65>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD><TD width=40>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And yeah, this is why I sold the Madd 170 :biggthump

Ooooh. I think I know what's going to replace my 171 if/when it finally dies.

Hey Mike, can I test ride yours? I've only ever broken one snowboard! :lol:

Sure - after I put the first few dings in it. We'll wait for a sunny day this time:smashfrea

Neil - I'll be sure to tell you what it's like.