Note to New Members ×

MHES -> MBES

Mike T

Now that BOL readership is up and more importantly many of the PNW locals are tuning in, let's talk about MHES.

Last spring, after MHES was cancelled due to low snow, then reincarnated as MHES Lite when we got snow at the last minute, and then rained out altogether, we discussed moving it to Mt Bachelor. After having given it a summer of thought, I still think it's the right call. Sure, this is somewhat influenced by the fact that I now live in Bend, and that setting it up at my local mountain will be easier, but Bachelor has the following advantages over Timberline:

1) More carve-friendly in fog. All of Timberline's carving terrain is above the timberline. Much of Bacehlor's is below the timberline. I've had some excellent times carving on Outback even in dense fog, the trees keep it off the runs and visibility was decent.

2) More variety of trails, especially for beginner carvers

3) Plenty of lodging choices. Good deals in spring. More to do in Bend than in Gov't Camp

The main disadvantage that I see is that it's a longer hault for the Seattle crowd, and Portlanders would need to spend $$ on lodging at Bachelor.

Now for dates:

ECES = March 6 - 12

Oregon Spring Break = March 27 - 31

SNES = April 7 - 10

We really want to avoid spring break (including the weekends on both ends), and I obviously don't want to discourage any locals from attending ECES or SNES... that leaves the best choices as:

March 17 - 20 (Mt Bachelor)

April 14 - 17 (Mt Bachelor)

Thoughts? Comments?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Randy S.

1) More carve-friendly in fog. I've had some excellent times carving on Outback even in dense fog, the trees keep it off the runs and visibility was decent.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah right! Didn't I break one of your Coilers there in fog? :smashfrea Certainly a memorable day. I broke your board, you sprained your ankle and you gave yourself a bloody nose with your knee. All in the span of 30 seconds.

That said, Bachelor is a great place for something like this. Inn of the 7th Mountain has group rates, cond-style accomodations and nice swimming pools. Worth a call. Unfortunately looking at those date options, I don't think I'll be able to make either one. A shame really since my Alpine Meadows pass is good at Bachelor (I assume we'll be seeing you down here at least one weekend this year to exploit that). I have a race one of those weekends and the other is Passover so I'll likely be in Florida with the kids.

It sounds like fun.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah right! Didn't I break one of your Coilers there in fog? :smashfrea Certainly a memorable day. I broke your board, you sprained your ankle and you gave yourself a bloody nose with your knee. All in the span of 30 seconds.

I learned my lesson well that day: Avoid the top of Skyliner run and go straight to Outback, where the dense fog doesn't settle at the top of the trail. :) Last seaon, I *did* have some excellent days over ther even when the frontside was fogged in. It's just no place for a 210, as the trails are narrower.

I had completeley forgotten about the bloody nose!

I think a meeting at MtBachelor would be an great idea as my first session was the "orcarve" thing back a few years. I think Randy S was there also for some kind of ski/snowboard race finals. You might what time it again for that race as it could bring more Ca people up here.

The local pdxers probably will have some T-line thing again for some late season T-line magic snow. We had one day last year (even with low snow) that was just awesome. See http://www.oldsnowboards.com/pics/album19

Jim

Removing April 14 - 17 from the list of possible weekends. Mt Bachelor is doing "Riders for the cure" that weekend and it's usually a mob scene.

That leaves March 17 - 20 as the best choice - avoides direct conflicts with ECES, SNES, Spring Break, and Riders for the Cure.

Comments?

Great ,

I will put in for some vacation at work for march 17-20. Looking forward to some good riding on groomers or powder. Mike , now that you are a local you can tour us to all the good powder stashs and best groomed areas. I always seen to ride that main run down to the main west/north base, it would be nice to have some local insight.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Just a friendly reminder that MBES (formerly MHES) will be held March 17 - 20 at Mount Bachelor, OR.

Given the proliferation of sessions this year (East Coast, Sierra in addition to SES) it seems best to keep this one low-key and informal, much like the May Carve-Fest at Timberline was two years ago, or any of the past Hood/Bachelor Big Digs.

I can put together a lodging package if there is interest - was thinking Inn of 7th mountain or Riverhouse based on past experiences... so please post here or email me if you would be interested in booking lodging in advance to get a group rate. If you have any other suggestions on where to stay, let me know.

Group rates on lift tix require 20 people, at least 3 days prior to riding. (http://www.mtbachelor.com/trip_planner/group_rates/), so if there is enough interested, I'll do that too (remember, advance payment would be required)

Will there be demos? I don't know. I need to talk to the potential sponsors to asses liability issues first. Bottom line: I'm a family guy and cannot afford to take on additional personal liabiality in order to support demos.

Don't forget to bring your powder gun! The trees off of Northwest are a blast.

• 2 weeks later...

Mt Bachelor's "Preferred Lodging Partners":

http://www.mtbachelor.com/trip_planner/lodging/

Most of the current specials expire before MBES, but since MBES happens about when things start to slow down in terms of out-of-town visitors, perhaps they'll give you a similar or better deal.

The following link contains a lisit of motels that offer $38 lift tickets:

http://www.mtbachelor.com/lift_lodging_partners/

The regular ticket price is $49, group rate is $42, this is even cheaper. Before I moved here, I stayed at the Riverhouse when visiting, it was decent.

The season is starting off very well at Bachelor - more powder and freeriding than carving so far, but snow is good snow, I am certainly not complaining :D

MBES, March 17-20

I'd give a nod to the Riverhouse, especially if you have kids. Plenty of stuff for them to do (pool, sauna, tubs, gym). Prices are fair, centrally located, and they take dogs. They offer discounted tickets, we usually get the 3 in 4, 4 in 5 day pass's, depending on how long we stay. 10 days this xmas, yee-haa! :biggthump

Mike , now that you are a local you can tour us to all the good powder stashs and best groomed areas. I always seen to ride that main run down to the main west/north base, it would be nice to have some local insight.

Will do! If the season continues the way it's started, there will be a lot more powder stashes than groomers. There really aren't a lot of "secret" carving spots (although Ed's Garden is often devoid of skiers and riders, has some nice wide and steep sections) but powder stashes are aplenty especially in the trees. My wife has an amazing knack for finding powder stashes at Bachelor, unfortunately she also has a knack for dinging her edges up badly getting in and out of them :/

I *highly* encourage those coming to bring their All-Mountain boards, and do some freeriding as well as carving.

The beginnings of a web site are up -

We were able to get www.oregones.com hence the name change to "Oregon Expression Session".

Please post here if you plan to come! If you don't have a season pass and don't think you'll be staying at one of the discounted lift ticket motels, let me know... I'll keep an eye out for other lift tix deals.

It just keeps snowing at Bachelor - all the groomed runs have excellent coverage and there is going to be a lot of good off-piste freeriding to be done if things keep going this way. I was there yesterday and again, precious little carving due to all the new snow but I wasn't complaining :D

• 2 weeks later...
does costco still do 5 days for $189 or something like that?

Yes - 5 days for $189.99, or $38 a day - same per-day price as offered by most of the local motels.

For a list of Costco locations offering this deal, visit: http://www.mtbachelor.com/costco/

Please note that the Bend Costco is NOT on this list - plenty of locations in the Portland metro, Willamette Valley, and even one in Seattle though.