Note to New Members ×

Boston Area Hardplaters

timinor

Hi, I'll be in Boston this winter and need to get up to speed about the areas to go to and the ones to avoid. I'll be able to ride mid-week. I'll need modes of transport and/or can split gas. Are there mid-week shuttles?

I enjoy running gates so would like to find areas with Nastar or local races. Anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone who knows what's up around Boston.

Tim, Key words: MID WEEK. Check out the All for One Pass $369 http://www.allforonepass.com/ Your All For One Season Pass is honored exclusively at the following eastern American Skiing Company resorts: Attitash (New Hampshire), Killington, Pico and Mount Snow (Vermont), and Sunday River and Sugarloaf/USA (Maine). The offer ends 10/10 and it's a great deal for some real mts. I've got some hook ups for ski houses at several mts. and frequent Mt Snow midweek cuz it's close to Boston and has some great carving trails. Weekends kinda suck for real high speed carving but midweek rules. Always looking for more serious riders to join us. Like Jack said:http://www.eces.us/ 2006 East Coast Expression Session

March 6-12 • Sugarloaf/USA a great time and the all for one pass will work for the Loaf.Email me direct if you want. Are you gonna bring that giant quiver ?

Wow, lots of good input. I have some more questions and comments:

1. The USASA Mass. Series is at Blue Hills and Eaglebrook. Are these areas close to Boston...easy to get to?

2. The ECES is probably a yes. I look forward to that.

3. Sunapee on thursday with a flex pass. Where is Sunapee? Is it easy to get to?

4. I see Wachusett has a pretty extensive Nastar program mid-week. They have a season pass now priced at $229. What is the story on Wachusett? Is it a nice area? Is it carver friendly? Do they get good snow coverage or usually marginal? Is it hard to get to from Boston? Are there mid-week buses or shuttles available?

5. When I'm in Boston, I'm living on Park Drive near Fenway Park. I'll have no car. I'm basically available Mon - Fri to board but where I go is based on convenience to get there, reasonable lift ticket (cheap season pass, flex pass, etc), carver friendly area, gate running or nastar available, overnight trips are possible if there are reasonable places to stay. So with all those things in mind...I'm all ears.

6. The whole quiver won't be coming east... :D

1. Blue Hills is basically Boston, don't know about Eaglebrook 2. ECES rocks for sure 3. Sunapee is southern NH off 93, pretty easy 4. Wachusett is an hour from Boston and John Gilmour had a deal thru Boston Univ last year for bus trips wednesday night for $15 buck that would pick you up right next to Park Drive 5. We're all about the mid week sessions and usually car pool-bunks for $15-20 at the ski club

Guest Randy S.

You are living in the city with no car? And expect to ride? Hmmm. Better plan on renting cars when you want to ride. I suppose you can get to Blue Hills on the T (at least get close), but its a glorified golf course. Wachusett and Nashoba are OK if you just want a 15-25 second run for racing on. Sorry to offend, but there's basically no riding worth a damn in Mass at all. The places worth going to are in VT, NH and ME. And even then, NH is questionable.

Sunapee is a mid-size mountain in NH. About 2 hours from Boston (maybe 1.5-1.75 hrs on a good day). It is pretty tame and good for carving I suppose. Loon, Cannon and Waterville are the three areas in NH that are worth considering riding at. In Maine, the only real options are Sunday River (3 hrs from Beantown) and Sugarloaf (not even close to a day trip - its wicked fah, although I have done day trips). In VT, Kilington, Stowe, Jay Peak (also wicked fah) and a few others are probably worth the trip. It all depends on what you are looking for. You won't find anything close to Mt. Hood or Bachelor in terms of size, for comparison.

Get yourself a Bruins hat and a Red Sox hat. And plan for wicked cold temps. BTW, if you didn't know, wicked is a good thing. It means "lots," "very," "tremendous," stuff like that. Wicked Awesome is a good thing. If someone calls you a wicked awesome cahvah, that's a compliment on your riding.

Oh, and sharpen your edges. They groom with Zambonis in New England.

BTW, if you didn't know, wicked is a good thing. It means "lots," "very," "tremendous," stuff like that. Wicked Awesome is a good thing. If someone calls you a wicked awesome cahvah, that's a compliment on your riding.

Oh, and sharpen your edges. They groom with Zambonis in New England.

They don't just use a Zamboni. They use Wicked Awesome Zambonis! :D "That's a wicked pissah zamboni!"

Welcome to the North East. I'll bet you thought you could carve; now you'll finally learn how, New England style! :eplus2:

Seriously, now: I have to second the comments about mid-week at Mt. Snow, Sunapee, and throw in Loon for good measure (Loon and Sunapee being easiest to get to). Stay away from Snow on weekends, though Haystack isn't bad (Is haystack operating this year???) If you make the time, definitely check out mid-northern Vermont(Sugarbush!), and Maine, too.

More good input - thanks.

So I'm trying to strategize. The all for one pass sounds like a good idea (Where do I buy that?). It would cover Mt. Snow and the ECES. Sunapee has a flex card available (where do I find info on buying that?). And, of course, I will need to act on those purchases soon.

The question becomes...is it reasonable to expect that I will be able to find others in the Boston area who are driving up to those areas mid-week for one or two day trips and who would like to have someone come along to split expenses?

I will be in Boston for a total of about 6 weeks during Jan, Feb and March. I would like to board up to 4 days a week when there.

Another question about Wachusett. I know it is small but it is close and I could easily run gates in their Nastar. Is it reasonable to expect that I could find people to car pool with to Wachusett for day trips?

Do most of these areas have good snow coverage or are you dodging rocks during the season?

OK, all for one pass, you can link to the website I posted or just google killington and call the 800 # with a credit card ready. Waterville and Loon(and Cranmore but cranmore doesn't count really, it sucks)has a pretty cheap pass too.They're ski 93 so a straight shot from Boston.You can join a ski club in North Conway, NH and rally up with many people that head up mid week for days at a time. Wachusett is always blasting snow but it's an "urban" type hill with lots of punks flying around, NOT great for arcing turns at night.Mt Hood Meadows, it ain't. Sorry to mix threads but we're gearing up for the SOX/SOX game at 4:00. Jack ? stevo ? input ?

Meet at the Mountain

This page is still under construction. We will have it up soon! MAybe we can get Fin to get the Ride Board/Meeting Board up and running. Gas prices $UCK and there's plenty of carvers here in the Boston area.Many don't even frequent Bomber.

• 2 months later...