Note to New Members ×

Questions on the new TD2 here

fin

The purpose of the thread is to give everyone a place to ask questions, concerns, and comments about the new TD2 snowboard plate binding we just released.

Rather than ask and answer the same questions over and over, we are going to try and keep it all here.

So ask away, and myself (Fin) or Bob Jenney or the other super-brains that hang out here will take care of your questions.

TD2 Step-In

TD2 Standard

* Please try to use this thread just for asking questions on the TD2, thank you.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These look super good - it seems like a lot of thought has gone into ironing out all the minor kinks from the TD1 - greater cant/lift options, reducing vibration, reducing weight, intec pin visibility in the SI, etc.

There's only one thing that I don't quite get from a design point of view - the spring loaded bail. The problem I have had with the TD1 was the spring causing the bail to flop down on the binding. This could be fixed by bending the bail a little to increase the friction, thus cancelling out the effect of the spring. Which is better than having the bail always flop down, but puts you at risk of having the bail flop in the other direction, especially if you accidently tread on it.

So how is it meant to work? How is a stronger spring better? Wouldn't a stronger spring just exacerbate the bail-flop problem? My idea (but I'm no engineer) for a better design would be to have two springs, each pushing in a different direction, with the result being that the bail always wants to stand straight upright. Is that possible?

Baka,

We have actually made a very cool modifcation to the way the new Lug Spring now sits inside the Sole Block. It still does the same job of keeping the bail (be it standard heel bail or SI front bail) from falling down on the board. However, its also creates tension being moved inward (or toward the Base Plate) on the TD2. So now you end up with a bail that wants to stand straight up.

Coupled with the 30% stronger spring it is very effective.

Yahoo, snowing right now at 6:50 am in Colorado as I write this!

I'm thinking of buying a pair for my wife. She's about 130 pounds and this will be her first full year carving. She's really not interested in demoing, she simply wants the same setup every time out while she's learning... she found this to be m,ost helpful while learning soft-booting many years ago.

In any case she actually likes very stiff, very responsive soft-boot equipment. Her riding style on softies is very much about precision and finesse and never about muscling it. She packs a lot of power in her turns and makes it look easy. I sueopect her alpine style will wind up being very similar.

Which elastomers would you recommend I get? I'm thinking the medium ones... looking for a little bit of shock obsorbtion but still a solid interface. Or are the soft ones really not that soft and would I be better off getting those? Like I said she'll ride whatever I get for her until she's got enough experience to form her own opinions. Oh, btw she has SB 225 boots w/ a tongue from a 224 (to soften them a bit) and has a Coiler women's fc 165 on the way.

Mike,

Right on bringing moe women into the sport. Goodness nows we need them. I always find they take to it very quick and really do well.

For the TD2 I would say go with the Yellow (soft) E-rings for starters as they will give you a great amount of absorbtion (smoth ride) but still allow for good old hard-boot edge control. Then, later on, as she gets more aggressive on the deck she might want to try the mediums.

The point is I would start with Yellow as it will "ease" the issues with first starting on hardboots.

Hope this helps,

C5 Golfer,

Yep, no problem. Here is a larger version of what is in the instructions. Gives you a view of both the Standard and the SI. They both use the same lower assembly.

You are correct, Bob and I have struggled with ways to show how the suspension system works and we are still working on concepts that we hope to add to the website soon.

We will also be adding a PDF version of the entire instructions to the website soon.

Take a look at this and let us know if you have any questions.

P.S. Bob uses SolidWorks and I use Inventor (as this was done in), so you can see why I beat him to the punch :p

post-1-14184219605_thumb.jpg

They're cheap enough to try them all - $15 each. When you buy a full set of TD2s, you get one pair of e-rings included. Unlike the TD1 bumpers (which imo were "install and forget" items), the TD2 e-rings will have a profound effect on the ride and feel of the bindings. I imagine riders of all abilities will find uses for more than just one e-ring hardness.

-Jack

Guest Randy S.

Fin,

What parts do I need to create a 2nd board kit so I can quickly swap TD2 step-ins from one board to another? I'm guessing Cant disk, elatomer and mounting disk. Is there a package price for such a kit?

Good news: we have a "Second Board Kit" available for the TD2. However, we plan to add this item in the next few days so stay with us on that.

It will include: 2 E-rings (or your choice), 2 Cant disks (of your choice), 2 Center Disks (3 or 4 hole), and all the mounting hardware.

Coming soon...

Originally posted by Ed Tostanoski

fin, or anyone else who might have measured,

do you how the stiffnesses of the td2 elastomers compare to the rubber ring on cateks?

thanks

I don't think it is meaningful to compare these features, because the Catek is not a floating system. The TD2 cant disc is not rigidly clamped to the board, rather it is merely held against the e-ring with a certain amount of preload. The soft and medium e-rings allow additional compression beyond that, so the cant disc has a little freedom to roll and pitch (but not yaw).

-Jack

Ed, Jack is correct, frankly that is comparing two different parts that are used in two different ways. So it would not tell you much to try and compare the two parts.

Also, another large difference is that our E-ring is made from a special Eurathane made just for this function. The Catek ring (and I could be completely wrong, someone please correct me if I am) uses a rubber based material. These materials are simular in feel but worlds apart in function.

Originally posted by deanj

Relate to the TD2... Will you still have parts for the TD1? Second board kits, bumbers, etc???

Not that the TD2's aren't beautiful! :D

-D

It looks like that they are.

Click on <a href = "http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindings/parts_td1.cfm"> this link</a> for all the parts for the TD1

The is also an awesome section on the boot parts too.

->Ben

Sorry cliffh, it has been so rapid fire here with questions I blew past yours. Sorry.

O-Fish-ely, the new stiffer spring will not work on TD1 bindings. This is mainly due to the fact that the spring wire stock is thicker and cause two issues with the TD1 Lugs:

1 - the hole in the lugs is too small for the new spring

2 - the new spring is also "wider" and will not fit in the Lug counter bore for the spring.

However, we are working on a couple of ideas on a work around for these issues so stay in touch with us and we'll keep you informed. To be honest if we did make a "kit" it would not be until December or later. We are just so slammed with finishing off productions.

Ha, you noticed that! :D

Yes, the TD2 does have a bottle opener built into it. However, this option is only found on the Standard model as it is located in the Toe Clip.

We are working very hard on making this an option for the SI, with hours and hours of testing so stay tuned :D