Note to New Members ×

Cargo Box Dilema...

Kurt Swanson

I have a Thule Force XT L cargo box that I use on my Subaru Cross-trek. I purchased a Thirst 8RW board last year and it's about 1" too long to fit in my cargo box. (1st world problem, I know) I'm wondering if I can "bump" out part of the box or even somehow modify it to fit the new board. The other option, and more expensive, would of course be to purchase the next size up Thule.

Sell it and help fund the larger box. Are you gonna mess around with cutting composite material and epoxying/fibreglassing some type of custom extension that will probably look like the hack job it is? If not, save yourself the headache.

Or, you know….you could just sell that ridiculous board for a healthy discount. Probably the best idea….

Make sure to watch for clearance on the lift gate.  We had an Outback and if the box was too long the tailgate would hit.  The other option was to slide it forward so we had an awning over the front window.  Anything over a 170 ended up in the car.

Uhh you did try putting it in diagonally right? Just checking..

Thule boxes I think ABS plastic and not fiberglass so sure a heatgun and jig could punch out the shape you want but this would be a giant PITA to get the rolled shapes to align. You can just as easily distort the cover so badly itll never close. Youll also melt the paint off. 

I would try to score a box now as its still early and then sell yours in December during peak buying time.