Note to New Members ×

OT: the Avatar

Kirk

One of my two guard dogs - this one was crashed on a pillow in the 'Burb coming back from CNISSF State Championships at Mammoth this past winter. Used to have a red Doberman - what a great dog - but had to give her away when I went to college. Since then we've had toy poodles - great because they don't shed and thus I can breath clearly without constantly snarking due to pet dander. (cats cause me to wheeze so much I need an inhaler:( ). Never saw myself with small dogs, but the are extemely intellegent, great for traveling, don't each much and their tootsie rolls are much better to deal with than the Lincoln Logs that the Dobie left behind!

I also use a couple others, one racing at 2005 USASA Nationals at Copper Mtn.

c1ca.jpg?phpQPCDBdymhj.mW

and the other is my modest quiver. (note the handmade "snurfer" from highschool woodshop circa 1980:biggthump

3d99.jpg?phpQPCDBkTdq8UXo

I'll try to shoot some pics of it in the next few days and post. A buddy was making a waterski, to me a snurfer was a much more appropriate use of the "method". We took a 1/4"(?) x 12" sheet of metal, progressively heated it and ran it through the roller machine (whatever it's called?) by hand to create the proper curve. Then we took maybe 1/16" vaneers and one by one glued them against the curved metal. For bindings, I got one the the rancher girls at school to hook me up w/ some 4" wide leather and attached it with hand shaped stainless plates and screws. The base was interesting - the plan on the waterski was to progressively rout a concave surface - instead, for the snurfer, I decided to go for a tapered-wedge-shaped protrusion with a piece of aluminum t-bar set in the center to give a hard skag/rail effect. (think of a v-hull on a boat(?)) In addition I added some "skerfs" to the sides of the board using 1/4"x1-1/2"xapprox.1' aluminum attached to the rear of the board with the rear most portion of the skerfs allowed to fan via partially driven screws. For the hand rope I used a piece of rope, with a lashed loop that was dipped multiple times in pliar handle rubber. (unfortunatly, over the years the rope has disappeard). It was more beautiful in construction than in use, we rode it several times but never really "hooked up" on it. Probably it's best use was for hauling kegs to the cabin at Donner Lake!:D

Very Cool! This was around 1980?

Donner rules!!

http://www.oldsnowboards.com/scott_starr_legends/index.htm

I would welcome a post about your "Homemade" on the Oldsnowboards.com Forum

If you send photos to me directly I will host them on the site so you can post a link anywhere you like? Thanks, Bryan

Very Cool! This was around 1980?

Donner rules!!

http://www.oldsnowboards.com/scott_starr_legends/index.htm

I would welcome a post about your "Homemade" on the Oldsnowboards.com Forum

If you send photos to me directly I will host them on the site so you can post a link anywhere you like? Thanks, Bryan

Re Donner - you know it!!

I'll send you what I can.

Wasn't there an "Explain Your Avatar" thread?

Sugarbush North, on the same day my screen name was coined (but that's the other thread). Somewhere on Cruiser on a spring weekday, laying out big, surfy treeline-to-treeline bottom turns for the camera.

Still have the "cheesy" jacket, still have the yellow FP, still not Tommy D ;)

Wasn't there an "Explain Your Avatar" thread?

Sugarbush North, on the same day my screen name was coined (but that's the other thread). Somewhere on Cruiser on a spring weekday, laying out big, surfy treeline-to-treeline bottom turns for the camera.

Still have the "cheesy" jacket, still have the yellow FP, still not Tommy D ;)

You know what - I used the search but failed to find it. After reading your post, I punched in the exact phrase "Explain Your Avatar" - Uh, found it!! Started by Ghostrider in September 2004 :smashfrea Ooops - I guess we can kill this one. Oh well, some of you have changed though! Still kinda fun to hear about 'em.

Hey Noah, didn't you have a pic of a bear on a previous avatar? What was that?

yeah... the bear was a random picture of a bear being hit over the head with a keg that I found on the internet. I thought it was funny and used it as the logo on my fantasy football team (I am also known in some circles as Grizz), and put it up here for lack of anything better. during the world series and beyond, I had the Yankee hater logo too...getting ready to look for something new now...

My old one was me dirt jumping on my Azonic DS-1.

This one is me doing the Big Air Jump at Mammoth a few years ago. It was the worst example of "I am going to hit that one more time before I go home." that I have experienced. I had been enjoying that jump up until then, but on my last run of my last day of my trip, my legs just did not have it in them. As soon as I hit the face of the jump, I compressed right through my legs. In the picture, I was half way to inversion. I was almost fully inverted on the landing. If the landing for that jump was not as steep as it was (or if I had not made the landing) I would not be writing today. I was out cold for a while. I woke up to some jibber saying "Dude, you gotta get out of the way." I wanted to ask him if he would move me. I was face down in the snow with a broken helmet.

The most important thing, though was that I was on my F2 GS rig with Bombers and UPS boots.:)

Old one:

post-175-141842204948_thumb.jpg

Just one of my other hobbies. I did 8 miles on it last night at an average of 7.1 mph with three rest stops (only one of which was planned). Last August I experienced a severe UPD (UnPlanned Dismount) and fractured my right hand requiring surgery and 3 pins just days before our two week trip to Hawaii. The child bride was not amused (we went anyway). Ironically, after nearly six decades devoted to various and sundry off-the-wall pursuits, gymnastics, rock climbing, sky diving (2000+ jumps), my first broken bone came from falling off a unicycle. For my birthday last year I got wrist guards, elbow guards, etc. I was on a unicycling forum yesterday (where my avatar is one of my carving pics!) and looked at a thread where they discussed how many "old timers" are riding one-wheelers. Turns out they consider 40 elderly. There were a handful in their early fifties but no one of my vintage. At Bricky's East Coast Carving Session at Okemo last year, I ran into several guys closing in on sexagenarian status.

Pat

aywndz.jpg

Recently I was playing around with an animated GIF program and recreated my avatar. It represents a few things I do and have done. I no longer jump out of airplanes. 2000 jumps was enough and gymnastics is mostly a fond memory but I still enjoy unicycling, ski racing, and alpine boarding.

Recently

This shot was inspired by Trikerdad's "shadow shot" on the same run on our local mountain. The boy and I were having a great day together riding our favorite alpine boards when I remembered I'd brought the digital with me. I love carving with my son, so that picture has alot of personal meaning to me. The shadow the Burner projects was too cool to pass up as well, so it became my avatar

Have fun!

Paul

My first ever post was made in haste and 'Stainless' was the end of a poorly thought out free association: carving > skidmarks > underpants > stainless.

But rather than have you suffer an avatar of my undies, I found a classic xray of your standard busted snowboarder's wrist fracture which I managed to inflict upon myself last season.