Note to New Members ×

Need advice on Hard Boot

Looking at Phantoms Slipper Boot($$$$)anyother suggestions? Ideally 2 buckles/nice flex-will be mounting on LIBTECH-Skunkape-used to ride the type of setup with the LITAGATOR when I lived in South Lake Tahoe 1992-1998-Bombing

Thanks for any replies- Ideas

It’s probably the best option unless you wish to buy an atomic boots, and buy a spring kit and boots pivot mod kit from phantom and mod it yourself, since ski AT boots have ankle area not really designed for snowboarding. Considering the cost, phantom boots would be the best value. 

I use Dynafit boots (TLT5) but needed some modding, and wouldn’t recommend it over phantom boots. But maybe you can find some at a steep discount. Sorry couldn’t help much.

I use K2 Mindbenders, with home made springs. It took a while to dile them in, but very happy with them now. They fit my wide foot way better than narrow Backlands. However, they are 4 buckle boots. 

I have and love the Backlands with Phantom springs, which to me were a game changer (see threads here). Other choices exist.

You can see what Phantom did with their slipper, and decide if that's what you want. I have not tried their conversion, but I suspect it may be more astute marketing to overcome the "I hate all ski related technology" feelings of many soft boot riders.

The Backland ankle system - friction free - is common to both boots of course. It was obviously designed for skiers walking uphill, but it works great. I actually lock my springs into ride mode (with low temperature tie-wraps) as I never use the walk mode, but I use the springs every turn...

As noted I expect most AT boots with friction-free ankles will work. I have wide feet but the Atomics fit great; although as noted they look narrow and skinny compared to most boots. 

If you can visit some local shops and try on various brands of alpine touring boots it can help inform your shopping. I think any AT boot that you find comfortable and which has a flex pattern that seems reasonable to you will work well. If you are looking for used gear, maybe try on various new boots to help you understand the sizing of various brands.

I was considering Phantom Slippers (for a splitboard set-up). I was able to try on Atomic Backlands, which the Phantom Slippers are build from. I was able to get a feeling for sizing of the Atomics, and a feel for the stiffness/flex provided by the stock Atomics. Figured the Phantom Backlands must be more forgiving. I found the stock Atomic Backlands too forgiving for my liking, but I like a stiffer boot. I ended up buying another Atomic AT boot, Atomic Hawx 130, which also have a relatively forgiving flex pattern, but perhaps a little stiffer than the Backlands. A little heavier the Hawx, but not much.

I'm glad I got an Atomic boot, as I did end up wanting more flex than the stock Hawx provided, and I wanted to be able to adjust the forward lean of the boots. Just as the Phantom Link Levers/springs fit the Atomic Backlands/Phantom Slippers, they also fit Atomic Hawx, which worked out well for me.

But, Hawx are four buckle boots, and hard to get on and off. Plenty wide for my foot, and toe box is plenty big, but they are no slippers to get on/off. Sweet light weight boots. I'm very please with for use on and off groom.

IMG_2916.JPG

On 3/5/2024 at 11:46 AM, philw said:

I have wide feet but the Atomics fit great; although as noted they look narrow and skinny compared to most boots. 

Likewise Atomic Hawx look super narrow, but I also did not find them to fit narrow. I have had neuroma problems in the past, so a large toe box is important to me. The toe box on the Hawx are plenty big for my needs.

I do use a trusted local bootfitter, changing out the stock liners for Intuitions and custom footbeds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 7:46 PM, philw said:

I have and love the Backlands with Phantom springs, which to me were a game changer (see threads here). Other choices exist.

You can see what Phantom did with their slipper, and decide if that's what you want. I have not tried their conversion, but I suspect it may be more astute marketing to overcome the "I hate all ski related technology" feelings of many soft boot riders.

The Backland ankle system - friction free - is common to both boots of course. It was obviously designed for skiers walking uphill, but it works great. I actually lock my springs into ride mode (with low temperature tie-wraps) as I never use the walk mode, but I use the springs every turn...

As noted I expect most AT boots with friction-free ankles will work. I have wide feet but the Atomics fit great; although as noted they look narrow and skinny compared to most boots. 

+1 on this.

I love my backlands with the phantom lever. It's also, from my point of view, a better option than the slippers because you can easily put back the original lever (a couple of screws really).

I loved the Raichle Concordia, but they are old and hard to find in good shape plus they don't have inserts for touring.