Note to New Members ×

Carving tunes

7B Stoke

It's a sound that scares the shit out of me. If I can hear them over the wind speed and the roar of my own edge, then they are too close.

I love music, love Hendrix (esp Johnny B Goode off Live in the West), but don't ride with music. I want every clue to help me protect myself from others who may ride poorly, make a mistake, or just lose control.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 2

Once you try riding with music, you realize how incredibly loud everything is when actually moving. Wind, skidding, lifts, etc. If I have music loud enough to clearly hear all parts of it when riding, it's quite loud once stopped. 

i.e. it's possible to have music at a very low level and still hear 99% of everything around you. I have conversations with people on the chair without adjusting my volume. The safety concern is like saying that you don't drive a car because someone once drove at 200 and died when something went wrong. Adjust volume to suit your needs. 

My choices? Paint The Town Red is a fun modern song for me right now. Boogie Belgique if I'm feeling mellow. Wax Tailor is fun too. 

• Like 1

I always ride with music and look for songs with similar rhythms and typically guitar rock/blues. I listen to a broad range of music but only if it fits the cyclical cadence/motion of the carve. I like to establish a rhythm and I use the music to that end. 

But taste in music is like a nose, everyone’s different.

Santana,

Gary Moore,

Joe Cocker

Earth Wind & Fire 

How loud? Depends.

ELO for the blue bird days! 

18 hours ago, Chouinard said:

I always ride with music and look for songs with similar rhythms and typically guitar rock/blues. I listen to a broad range of music but only if it fits the cyclical cadence/motion of the carve. I like to establish a rhythm and I use the music to that end. 

But taste in music is like a nose, everyone’s different.

Santana,

Gary Moore,

Joe Cocker

Earth Wind & Fire 

How loud? Depends.

ELO for the blue bird days! 

Good ones! Thank you

On 2/21/2024 at 9:23 AM, SunSurfer said:

@Corey  I love music enough to want to properly hear it, not have it in the background. Different folks...

Now, for those who do like to have music as they ride, apologies for the thread diversion.

I'm completely new to the earbuds in the helmet thing. I decided to try it and its pretty cool to have the option. I just flick it on when we drop, flick it off when we pull over. I don't like it too loud so I can hear the skidders and the swarm of bees on skis closing in on me before I can get another toe side head check in.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:58 AM, Corey said:

Once you try riding with music, you realize how incredibly loud everything is when actually moving. Wind, skidding, lifts, etc. If I have music loud enough to clearly hear all parts of it when riding, it's quite loud once stopped. 

i.e. it's possible to have music at a very low level and still hear 99% of everything around you. I have conversations with people on the chair without adjusting my volume. The safety concern is like saying that you don't drive a car because someone once drove at 200 and died when something went wrong. Adjust volume to suit your needs. 

My choices? Paint The Town Red is a fun modern song for me right now. Boogie Belgique if I'm feeling mellow. Wax Tailor is fun too. 

Interesting tunes! I just added some Wax Tailor to the list. Sounds like Big Audio Dynamite meets De La Soul with a sprinkle of Beastie Boys?! 🙂

20 hours ago, 7B Stoke said:

I'm completely new to the earbuds in the helmet thing. I decided to try it and its pretty cool to have the option.

I prefer to us speakers via Bluetooth from my phone.

Hat tip to "KTV" who told me about this:

image.png.cb77521b7856682a1de411f1fe65d3b1.png 

which properly plays the music in helmet speakers and can dial/receive cell phone calls.  Clips

on to the side of the helmet and battery lasts all days in single digit Fahrenheit temperatures.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:22 AM, Chouinard said:

I prefer to us speakers via Bluetooth from my phone.

Hat tip to "KTV" who told me about this:

image.png.cb77521b7856682a1de411f1fe65d3b1.png 

which properly plays the music in helmet speakers and can dial/receive cell phone calls.  Clips

on to the side of the helmet and battery lasts all days in single digit Fahrenheit temperatures.

I have these... similar https://outdoormaster.com/products/wireless-helmet-drop-in-headphone