Note to New Members ×

How I spent my summer - pics

gdboytyler

I went on a 12 day surf trip to Indonesia during the first part of July. Best vacation of my life!

My two dream trips have been heli-boarding in BC and surfing in Indo. Now that I've experienced surfing in Indo, I don't know if I'll ever go on that heli-boarding trip! I need to make the Indo trip an annual event :biggthump

My year has peaked. The only thing I've got left to look forward to is ordering a Donek Freecarve for the upcoming winter.

IMG_7103.-s25JPG.jpg

IMG_7105-s25.JPG

IMG_7106-s25.JPG

IMG_7461-s25.JPG

IMG_7156s25.JPG

IMG_7159s25.JPG

IMG_7753s25.JPG

IMG_7985s25.JPG

IMG_7987s25.JPG

IMG_7988s25.JPG

seriously awesome pics. You should give your photographer a twelve pack of whatever he wants.

:biggthump

The captain of the boat that I was on was also a professional photographer. He charged $10/photo or $150 for all the photos he shot of me. Me and 6 of my buddies on the boat all dished out $150 each for our photos. The photographer can get a lot of six packs for that. But he'll probably spend that money on hookers in Thailand when the surf season is over ;)

Dude, those waves are AWESOME! I got to surf again this year in Maui at Ka'anapali and Lahaina but the waves damn sure don't look like that! The shape is awesome, what are those 12-15 footers? What kind/size board are you riding? I'm still stuck using a 11' foam core (I'm a total novice) but want to try a 7'8"-7'10" in a glass board even though it will probably kill me :D Wow, what a trip that must have been, those shots will last a lifetime and bring many happy memories. Thanks for renewing my stoke, I was almost over my withdrawals from Maui, now they're back in force! For those out there who haven't had the chance to "catch a wave" you can't fathom what you're missing. Way to go man, live the dream,

Hang loose,

Paul

post-857-141842204508_thumb.jpg

What kind/size board are you riding?

In the sequence on the bigger waves, I was riding a 6'8" thruster (3-fin). The one shot of the late drop, I was on a 7'0" semi-gun thruster. On the small waves, I was riding a 6'2" thruster.

The 6'2" and 6'8" are custom epoxy resin/polystyrene foam boards (from Epoxy Pro). These boards are harder to ding and the foam doesn't suck water when it does get dinged.

The 7'0" is your standard polyester resin/polyurethane foam board from Blue Hawaii.

Guest Ken D

I hate you, and your perfect waves. :angryfire

Joking aside... incredible. The size on a couple of those is

outside my "change my underwear" zone.

I surf constantly and those shots are priceless.

Usually when its cookin' nobodys got a camera.

ps: Nice commit on the drops!

Ken D

Wilbur you charge :)

Awsome waves! Nice ride! I thought the waves were much more curly in Indo :) are u sure its not a wave pool? ;)

Never ridden with a gath, does it makes balancing /hearing more challenging?

I wish i was there!!!

Nils

PS those are good 8' not 15 :)

If I were to pick the perfect wave for myself it would be that sequence you have above. Grew up the surfer in Seaside Heights, NJ. Awesome time you had there!

Still vacation every year in Hatteras,

sic

So now your in New York. Whatta ya some kinda bennie or something? ;)

mario, from bayville

Wilbur you charge :)

Awsome waves! Nice ride! I thought the waves were much more curly in Indo :) are u sure its not a wave pool? ;)

Never ridden with a gath, does it makes balancing /hearing more challenging?

I wish i was there!!!

Nils

PS those are good 8' not 15 :)

Wave height is always debatable. The Hawaiians on board and the Aussie boat crew were calling the bigger days "solid 5 ft". I just go with the standard answer of "well overhead".

My Gath surf helmet didn't seem to impair balancing or hearing. I had the model with the retractable visor. With the visor up, the helmet seemed to pinch a little by my cheek bone. With the visor down, the fit felt great, but the dark visor made it a little difficult to see the lip. So in between waves, I kept the visor down (to cut down on glare), and put it up when I saw a wave coming. I only wore the helmet during 3 sessions. When surfing a couple of super shallow spots and one clear early morning when the sun was right in our eyes.

A lot of the waves we got were more "curly". However, I didn't get any good barrel photos. Other surfers in the crew got some awesome barrels with photos to go with the ride.

That pinching on your cheek may be the broken corner of your visor. Broke three of them by raising/lowering 6 years ago. Now it stays in the raised position.

Fun way to psyche the lineup with the visor down. Did you notice a difference in pushing through waves. haha Only use mine when traveling.