Note to New Members ×

Liner Sleeve to reduce heel lift

I bought these maybe 2 seasons ago to try out.

While they work decently for heel hold, the issue I have is they make the instep area very tight/constrictive and hard to get into the liner if you are the type to have the liner in your boot and step into the boot/liner. This is with wrap liners - I've not used tongue liners so I don't know if it works any better. Perhaps if you are the type to put your foot into the liner then your foot/liner into the boot, it may work better as you're able to adjust your foot before entering the boot.

What this ended up doing for me is not allowing my foot to enter properly and somehow ends up squishing my toes or leaving my toes very uncomfortable, when they're fine without this sleeve. Even riding for a bit doesn't ease this at all.

I switched from Deeluxe Liners to Intuition Alpine liners this season, and tried them again with the Intuitions, thinking maybe it was something to do with the Deeluxe liners. I had the same squished uncomfortable feeling in my toes when I tried again.

Thanks KTV, I wonder if the Deeluxe over the ankle/heel design might be the answer?

https://www.donek.com/product/deeluxe-heel-harness-pro/

Deeluxe Heel Harness Pro

$28.00

DEELUXE’s new Heel Harness Pro enables your heel and ankle to transmit maximum power and efficiently initiate turns. Available as an accessory, this super-charged Heel Harness and its exoskeleton deliver an unrivaled fit at the ankle area, exceptional support, and unsurpassed heelhold. Whereas ankle closures integrated into a boot’s shell or liner allocate pressure in a single zone, this external heel harness enfolds the entire ankle area for exceptional comfort and performance. Be one with your boots—lace up with DEELUXE’s Heel Harness Pro and take your riding to the next level.

Medium fits MP 25 to 27.5 (US 7 to 9.5)
Large fits MP 28 to 30.5 (US 10 to 12.5)

I've not tried the Deeluxe version of the heel harness.

What the Patriot does do is fill in a little volume with the neoprene sleeve, and it seems like the neoprene also adds a bit of friction with the shell. Adding the foam additionally then increases volume. So from that aspect, it does help heel hold.

But the toe pain kept me from using them.

I personally don't like trying to do the foot in the liner, then foot/liner into boot method. I've tried, and it sucks IMO when I tried with my UPZ boots.

That, and my riding buddy @pow4ever takes forever to put his boots on and take them off because he does it that way with his Zipfits 😬

I've always used some boot fitting foam from Tognar as well on my Achilles to add heel hold when necessary. This was just a tidier way to do it.

As mentioned, I switched from Deeluxe liners to Intuition Alpine, and after molding, the Alpines provide better heel hold trying out on carpet in my family room - no need for boot fitting foam yet. I'll need to see if that's still true riding for real a bit when I can get some snow here 😰

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/1/2024 at 10:54 AM, ktv said:

I bought these maybe 2 seasons ago to try out.

While they work decently for heel hold, the issue I have is they make the instep area very tight/constrictive and hard to get into the liner if you are the type to have the liner in your boot and step into the boot/liner. This is with wrap liners - I've not used tongue liners so I don't know if it works any better. Perhaps if you are the type to put your foot into the liner then your foot/liner into the boot, it may work better as you're able to adjust your foot before entering the boot.

What this ended up doing for me is not allowing my foot to enter properly and somehow ends up squishing my toes or leaving my toes very uncomfortable, when they're fine without this sleeve. Even riding for a bit doesn't ease this at all.

I switched from Deeluxe Liners to Intuition Alpine liners this season, and tried them again with the Intuitions, thinking maybe it was something to do with the Deeluxe liners. I had the same squished uncomfortable feeling in my toes when I tried again.

So I bought the Gen 1 versions that I think you had and they are tight over the top of the foot and hard to get onto my 28.5 zip fits but I wore them anyway as they helped lock in my back heel immensely. I got the Gen 2s this season and they have a stretchy connector across the top of the foot and it's definitely been a upgrade. They really complete the fit for me as I have a bone spur on my back heel so I had to punch that spot out and so the extra foam I added around that spot has really dialed in my fit.

On 1/2/2024 at 7:15 PM, ThePeonsChamp said:

So I bought the Gen 1 versions that I think you had and they are tight over the top of the foot and hard to get onto my 28.5 zip fits but I wore them anyway as they helped lock in my back heel immensely. I got the Gen 2s this season and they have a stretchy connector across the top of the foot and it's definitely been a upgrade. They really complete the fit for me as I have a bone spur on my back heel so I had to punch that spot out and so the extra foam I added around that spot has really dialed in my fit.

If they added some elastic material on top that would make it much easier to get in/out, then it'd probably work much better.

Have any photos of the gen2 tops?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 4:03 PM, ktv said:

.That, and my riding buddy @pow4ever takes forever to put his boots on and take them off because he does it that way with his Zipfits 😬

How else am I going to get some rest to keep up with carve machine like you 😊

that and bath room break is the only time I get to catch my breath lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

LinerSleeveElastic_grande.jpg?v=16949869

@ktv this is the current version Patriot is selling.  pressure over instep is what i am worry about as well.
I am trying different liners (not zipfit) but i am getting heel lift in the back foot.

Pat:  what did you decide to go with?  any luck/update?

foam or sleeves 🙂  or just ride with blister with duct tape