Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 23/24

bobble

13 hours ago, bobble said:

1/4/23

rode in evening. almost all the snow guns were operating. 

crossroads was choppy and busy with ski challenge.

warners was bouncy up top, okay at second pitch.

railyard had some small mounds. kids were making jumps and walking back up the hill.

Just wait until they stop blowing and start grooming!

1/5/23

rode over lunch.

crossroads has sub-par grooming. at the very top are ice balls. there are small rolls parallel to the fall line. hard to see in flat light. i was chattering.

olympic ...  i couldn't carve very well.

redtail was okay but was fast.

1/6/24

rode saturday morning. flat light. rode crossroads. cord was decent but a little fast. seems like skiers left on crossroads is abnormally higher in the middle.

races on milkrun and olympic. lift lines were getting crowded.

met two softbooters, kai and zt. apparently, they know leo and flatcoke. small world.

1/7/24

rode mostly olympic. flat light. fast groom. back is sore.

i rode first chair. there was a slight delay. the lifty said there was a problem with one of the chairs. rode up. something about the lift bars. after i reached the top they stopped the chairlift. went to south chair. the main chair kept shutting down for a while. hope it's under warranty.

south chair got busy. met up with leo. learned that i'm spoiled riding at buck. 🤪

ms. bobble ordered a blanket from powder addict of spirit mountain. she wanted to get one of buck hill but didn't like the view of Sunny Acres trailer park appearing on the blanket.

she picked spirit because the print fills the blanket nicely, and it does. unfortunately, chateau de big wave dave is missing from the print.

https://www.powderaddicts.com/collections/ski-resort-map-printed-blankets/minnesota?sort_by=

• Haha 1

1/11/24

rode at lunch. buck is blowing snow. very cold temperature, around 15F. rode milkrun. difficult to carve due to dips and bumps on the run.

snow guns pointed towards crossroads. going to be alotta snow on that run.

Rode Wednesday morning on my freestyle board. Flat light, but found the runs firm, carvey and relatively flat. I did get thrown with some unexpected rolls at the bottom left of Olympic. Racers were def not slipping after. *Shrug*

Now that I know what to expect, will break out of the carving board.

Lift rides...Everyone was so pleasant.. must be the morning retired crowd?

Got kid some skiboots, but not likely going to brave the temps this weekend. 

1/13/24

cold... about 8F. new snow.

buck has races as foretold by the mysterious gypsy woman.

arrived early and was out on the run at 8:45AM. left at 9:30AM. just didn't feel it.

crossroads had warmups going on. took two runs and just hard snow. 

olympic was crappy. there were undulations going horizontally across the run. in flat light it was hard to see. some areas were hard snow.

railyard has hard icy snow near snowguns. when you get near the maintenance building there are numerous ATV tracks to avoid.

ski coaches were setting up on warners so i didn't bother. at bottom of warners where railyard intersects are mounds of snow from snowguns.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bobble said:

1/31/24

rode at lunch. i suck at skis

most rode warners. did one on milkrun. hard to control my skis.

feels like end of season already.

Have you ever tried a skwal? @Algunderfoot swears by his swallowtail skwal when the hill gets all rutted up. Seems to slice through all the rough stuff.

I heard a rumor that winter may return in about 10 days.

• Like 2

2/2/24

mid 30's. conditions not great. warners was soft and sloppy. milkrun was bumpy. crossroads was same.

one of the regulars was complaining about conditions. he said that someone who used to work there as a lifty told him that the groomers are going to fast for properly grooming the run.

i can't seem to carve anymore. age is catching up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

3/29/24

buck reopened because of new snow. i had already gave up boarding couple weeks ago. 

snow softened around 11am. some fun carving.

the main chair was open but not the south chair. lift lines were really long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobble said:

3/29/24

... gave up boarding couple weeks ago. 

...some fun carving.

I was worried about you. 😉 I've been re-learning how to carve on hero snow over the past week. It took me a couple of days just to shed my over cautious, on-edge, ice carving stance that became ingrained this winter.

It's not age, just a bad winter.

On 2/2/2024 at 12:45 PM, bobble said:

2/2/24

i can't seem to carve anymore. age is catching up.

• Like 1

3/30/24

early morning soft conditions. they had south chair open. took a couple runs. one area just below the jump line was really soft. on heel-side i dug in hard and almost slowed to a stop. left a respectable trench.

no carving. just surfing. crossroads and milkrun were decent. it was great for about 45 minutes, but it started to get rough. on my last run down milkrun i tweaked my back after hitting multiple bumps on single heel-side turn. just called it quits.

@bigwavedave could you see yourself doing this? i watched his series. i'm fascinated by his videos. i'll stick to my pontoon on a freshwater lake.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobble said:

@bigwavedave could you see yourself doing this? i watched his series. i'm fascinated by his videos. i'll stick to my pontoon on a freshwater lake.

The kid talks to much, shut up sail the boat, I say...and get some better sailing shots. :freak3: I know, I sound like a grumpy old man. Maybe jealous that I couldn't afford a boat when I was his age, or I surely would have sailed around the world. Maybe I will still. 

• Like 1