Note to New Members ×

POWERRIDE

dhamann

POWERRIDE, BASIC, MEDIUM FLEX, L

Mondo 30 (us12), K2 Thraxis with about 80 days ridden.

Pretty basic concept here. Plastic tongue inserts to add stiffness to your boot if you wish to compliment your riding style, body allowances and preferences. If the nitty gritty is what you’re looking for, read on.

The Thraxis boot has three boa adjustments with one of them attached to a small interior urethane harness called “boa conda liner lacing”. The flex on this harness is similar to the flex of a basic soft flex POWERRIDE. A small size POWERRIDE is still quite larger than what is in this boot. I say this for reference. This boot is considered a 10/10 flex boot, new. The liner I used in the boot was an intuition SBC liner and an intermediate booster strap was used at the cuff.

The medium flex basic POWERRIDE definitely added stiffness to the feel of the boot. Feels like a new pair of stiff flexing boots although I was testing with some pretty broken in boots. Added stiffness was obvious, but there was still some flexibility and maneuverability fore/aft and laterally. It wasn’t restricting, but supportive. It may be a little too stiff for park style riding, tweaking grabs etc., but a great feeling for freeriding and/or free carve IMO. There’s no specific number rating to them with regards to flex. The descriptions of the products specify the differences in each model. Test and draw your own conclusions.

Sizing isn’t so hard and fast. The molds are almost the same; just a little longer at toe/shin. The medium mold is used on the W Wing models (Wing has one wing, W Wing has two wing), one size. If the POWERRIDE slides around at all (with a properly installed insert) some riders size down to help prevent this being an issue. Duct tape or sticky rubber can help keep the insert in place better. If you want to use them in a different way, then go for it. However, this is what is recommended…

Installing:

Put boot on appropriate foot

Cinch and/or tie up your liner to your liking

Insert POWERRIDE between liner and tongue shell

Cinch and/or tie up your shell to your liking (holding front of cuff while synching helps with a snugger fit)

Adjust accordingly

Ride

I also rode these inserts in spring conditions in brand new Deeluxe Edge Pro boots (stock liner), again with a 10/10 flex, and just laughed on my first few laps with them. They’re not like a hardboot, but dam was it close, while still having more freedom laterally than if I were to be riding a UPZ boot in walk mode. I will also add that I rode these after having ankle surgery for “snowboarders ankle” (lateral talar process fracture), two months prior. Yes I was dedicated to PT, diet, etc. in order to get back out, but these felt like just the added security I was looking for to still have the option to ride softies. I don’t claim it to be a medical device, but it sure helped me out. It felt as though it helped with stabilizing the ankle joint; take note aging riders or those with skateboarding and dancers ankles. The W Wing models provide even more lateral support for those who like to run higher binding angles. Mix and match flex and/or models for front and rear boot.

POWERRIDE.installed.jpg

cuff loosened to show POWERRIDE.

https://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/store/category/5-powerride/

SHOPPERS PLEASE NOTE: must create at least a free profile to view products in store.

Edited by dhamann
join the club
  • Like 2

hi @Odd Job. I'd recommend the medium flex to start with for carve focused riding and general aggressive free ride. this provides the support of a stiff flexing boot for however you want to ride. it will increase stiffness/support/power even more in a brand new 10/10 flex boot to however you want to categorize it. there's no such thing as "breaking them in" either as with a new pair of boots. let's call it sustainable support. some folks with alpine gear might just want to go to hardboots instead of the hard flex, but the option is now here if you just want to switch out a tongue insert for more support instead of changing gear over, etc. It's still not hardboot though so i wouldn't expect that kind of performance, but close. if the board is marketed as stiff, it better be stiff. as always, pairing board/boot/binding with similar stiffness is still a good general rule of thumb to go by. i'll also note that two pairs of POWERRIDE ship for the same as one.

10 hours ago, dhamann said:

hi @Odd Job. I'd recommend the medium flex to start with for carve focused riding and general aggressive free ride. this provides the support of a stiff flexing boot for however you want to ride. it will increase stiffness/support/power even more in a brand new 10/10 flex boot to however you want to categorize it. there's no such thing as "breaking them in" either as with a new pair of boots. let's call it sustainable support. some folks with alpine gear might just want to go to hardboots instead of the hard flex, but the option is now here if you just want to switch out a tongue insert for more support instead of changing gear over, etc. It's still not hardboot though so i wouldn't expect that kind of performance, but close. if the board is marketed as stiff, it better be stiff. as always, pairing board/boot/binding with similar stiffness is still a good general rule of thumb to go by. i'll also note that two pairs of POWERRIDE ship for the same as one.

I have Burton Photon wides (boa). 6/10. I basically turn them into Long Island girl fake tan Ugg boots after a full 150+ day season.

Burton has really been slacking with their Ion wides (still out of stock), hence my interest in these. If I could, I'd try Burton Driver X wides (doesn't exist), or Ride Insano wides (doesn't exist). 

How much do you weigh? I am considering the medium size + medium stiffness. I want more support, but really couldn't care about hardboot levels of stiffness (I think), even though I ride Deeluxe 425s....

Any gotchas on sizing for leg volume? I ride 24MP hardboots, but 25MP softboots. My actual foot measurements are more like 25.4/25.6cm; and my lower leg volume is probably, larger than pretty much anyone here, regardless of foot size.

Thanks again.

• Haha 1

This photo of small medium large stacked might provide a better understanding regarding sizing. Being right in the middle of recommended sizing can be tough, but either one will improve flex. Sizing isn’t so fixed. Rider preferences must be considered. Given your specific requirements and intended riding style will help answer this. Generally speaking, are you more of a static rider or a dynamic rider? I didn’t get any small hard flex with this batch but maybe with the next order. I might recommend the medium solely based on foot size. Considering the small given your extra large volume lower leg is a thought too. Just understand they’re smaller so some compromise on the support you’re after may be affected. Still improved flex but won’t take up as much volume in the boot since your leg is naturally doing that. The small will allow for greater mobility and dynamic style riding. Support for more powder riding and soft groomers. Medium for even more support, but will take up more volume in a 25 mondo boot. Hope that makes sense. I weigh about 200lbs. Skinny shins. 

IMG_4565.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Love this, I remember way back when I was softbooting (snowboarding) and wanted more control I bought ski boots from the thrift store and would take the tongues out and add them to my Sorels for more control. Proud to say I was laying out soft boot carves before it was cool. On an old F2 boardercross board (wish I would have kept that one) that I purchased from an army surplus store for 80 bucks at the time. It's Just Say No week here at the schools, carving is just as additive and way more expensive. Happy Carves everyone !

bobross11.jpg

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:10 PM, dhamann said:

This photo of small medium large stacked might provide a better understanding regarding sizing. Being right in the middle of recommended sizing can be tough, but either one will improve flex. Sizing isn’t so fixed. Rider preferences must be considered. Given your specific requirements and intended riding style will help answer this. Generally speaking, are you more of a static rider or a dynamic rider? I didn’t get any small hard flex with this batch but maybe with the next order. I might recommend the medium solely based on foot size. Considering the small given your extra large volume lower leg is a thought too. Just understand they’re smaller so some compromise on the support you’re after may be affected. Still improved flex but won’t take up as much volume in the boot since your leg is naturally doing that. The small will allow for greater mobility and dynamic style riding. Support for more powder riding and soft groomers. Medium for even more support, but will take up more volume in a 25 mondo boot. Hope that makes sense. I weigh about 200lbs. Skinny shins. 

IMG_4565.jpeg

@dhamann can I get your advice on size/stiffness please.

These are my Burton Driver boots and they came with a  tongue stiffener that fit on the outside as pictured.  I'm wondering if I might be able to replace with a POWERRIDE?  

There is a flap that fits over the top but the elastic at the sides has stretched so it's not tight anymore.  

Worst case I can put behind the tongue above the liner but if you think they might fit, I would think a swap to the new insert would work, I'd like to try that first. 

I'm 155lbs, these are size 7.0 boots and I've got big calves.  

Small Hard ?  

PXL_20231028_022054100_copy_2304x3060.jpg.279797987b2ad5a6623e4f058a3e3869.jpgPXL_20231028_021717096_exported_258_1698460811517_copy_1536x1152.jpg.6535373de91d9fe6dd5b84e7306a10c4.jpgPXL_20231028_021755501_copy_2304x3060.jpg.261e77c6cba2b0733727ec2631c5ed2a.jpgPXL_20231028_021819907_copy_2304x3060.jpg.5c993782eec9b2458fdca4c5530a56de.jpgPXL_20231028_021838665_copy_2304x3060.jpg.1cdc7f739d093b87a5048a5ce32fc762.jpg

Edited by slabber

On 10/27/2023 at 10:45 PM, slabber said:

Worst case I can put behind the tongue above the liner but if you think they might fit, I would think a swap to the new insert would work, I'd like to try that first. 

On 10/24/2023 at 9:12 AM, dhamann said:

Sizing isn’t so hard and fast. The molds are almost the same; just a little longer at toe/shin. The medium mold is used on the W Wing models (Wing has one wing, W Wing has two wing), one size. If the POWERRIDE slides around at all (with a properly installed insert) some riders size down to help prevent this being an issue. Duct tape or sticky rubber can help keep the insert in place better. If you want to use them in a different way, then go for it. However, this is what is recommended…

Installing:

Put boot on appropriate foot

Cinch and/or tie up your liner to your liking

Insert POWERRIDE between liner and tongue shell

Cinch and/or tie up your shell to your liking (holding front of cuff while synching helps with a snugger fit)

Adjust accordingly

Ride

the Powerride Wing in the store is the W Wing (two wing) model. Powerride Wing (one wing) is not available yet, but maybe soon.

this is the theory and presumable objective of having the wings as you say above. this is true. however, when the basic (no wing) POWERRIDE is installed and fixed inside the boot, there is also lateral stiffness added. how much different when compared to wings vs no wings can be objective so there's no hard and fast number or definition of flex. it's a simple product. i like to compare it to the wheel. it can be very efficient at what it does that allows for a greater performance potential which is greatly related to the operator. hand flexing and carpet surfing don't really do them justice to what the rider will actually feel when riding. after a few good turns, the additional support is realized. adapt to them just like anything and rip it hard. if the user only makes bad turns, these will not magically change that, but can try. using extreme angles such as 60 degrees forward with these is completely up to the rider and rider preferences. heck, i'm pretty sure there are already folks that ride these angles without inserts in softiies. it's snowboarding, do what makes you happy. however, the performance will be much different than an actual snowboard alpine hard boot. i think this is obvious. get some and try them out.

Tongues arrived today, thanks Dave!

I'll try them on the outside. Probably put a piece of tape on the Driver 'hood' to help secure the PowerRide.

They're wider and a bit shorter than the originals, but look like they should work in this configuration.  

No snow here yet but will be keen to try them as soon as I can.

PXL_20231107_231327579_copy_2040x1536.jpg.291a6091871c9e451d1763b3fc968c51.jpg

PXL_20231107_231404248_copy_1536x2040.jpg.eb7cde4fb5da47cc07de942d36e46aba.jpg

PXL_20231107_231028668_copy_1536x2040.jpg.3b0fa914314288367f778fbb327dd2b0.jpgPXL_20231107_231015795_copy_1536x2040.jpg.d9e2f9e4f81fed843db78d0c7481b59d.jpg

Edited by slabber

• 1 month later...

thanks @slopestar. they don't turn a soft boot into a hard boot but their are benefits. i think you got the large medium flex. the large hard flex would be even more difference if interested in that. moreso than going with a hard flex wing model IMO due to the taller mold and more leverage than the wing. i've even heard some riders may lap two together in each boot. plenty of flavors and different ways to enjoy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My most recent test. This combo is even yet another step up stiffer and more supportive than just a large hard flex. Also noticeable lateral support. The size large medium flex helps distribute pressures from the hard flex wing which uses a medium size mold. Haven’t tested hard flex large with hard wing yet but my theory is that this may be too much. TBD. I’ve gotten feedback that using large size medium flex with medium wing is also “better”. Starting to think these should be sold in pairs of rider choice. 

IMG_4928.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

@dhamann thanks for getting the Powerride systems and making them available to all of us.

I have the wing hard, wing medium, large-medium, large-hard and medium FIT (thanks 🙏).

I have used each by themselves and have been experimenting with the combinations and have found the FIT and Wing Hard are my favorite combination so far in my Ion StepOn boots.  This combination makes the Ion StepOn basically the same stiffness in flex fore, aft and laterally as my Ride Insano’s and has improved the performance of my StepOn X bindings exponentially.

I highly recommend getting these if you have any boot that is just not quite as stiff as you like. The medium flex will work for most people but if you love quick response and precision performance then these PowerRide inserts will take your softboots to the next level.

thanks again Dave🤙IMG_3412.jpeg.077fb1cd5a7ad1bcb74f68ed23eb08f2.jpeg

• Like 3