Note to New Members ×

Crotched Mtn

cbrkid1981

eh. then you probably saw me binding out at the top. adjustment needed. plutos was bust. grooming nightmare. meteor was the jam and most of the rest of the hill. met up with with blue upz rider which demonstrated how an MK should be ridden. was fun riding with him for a good handful of laps. switched to softies late morning because it was too good and didn't want to leave. made it until about 1 and then left. some business to take care of tomorrow, but Friday is a strong potential for me as well. a little slow and soft in sections today with the new sharp crystal snow. i'm waxin, but Friday should be fast and firm. maybe even a little surface hoar chalk mixed in.

• Like 1

I have a MK that is just sitting staring at me.  I'm a bit scared of it right now tbh.  Crotched is a tough place to get a feeling about, and I'm just trying to find my way.  The Donek pulse 157 seems to be a good fit, and my old faithful coiler is still my girl.  

It’s a fun little hill. All those boards sound like a good fit. The rocket lift gets you up quick and you can either focus on things or rip around exploring every trail in short time to get the layout and options. Chances are you’ll bump into another rider for some lift rides and/or take some laps together. Tomorrow should be a good one.

• Like 1

Well… Friday was bust. I waited until noon when I thought the rain was letting up. Jokes me on. Not only did it start raining harder after I arrived, the Rocket was down for most of the day. Spent two hours doing laps on the Valley lift before I had enough. When I left it stopped raining and the Rocket started loading again. 🤷 

Today, was much better.  I was greated with this after skinning up this morning:

IMG_3849.jpeg.55913e7b0833c1d0d2e7b8a5931b7671.jpeg

More snow on the way!

• Like 1

Does anyone do night carving sessions?

I haven't been to Crotched at night in many years. Until tonight. I was surprised and delighted to find the mountain mostly empty from about 5:00 to 7:30 PM. Carving conditions were not bad. A bit fast and also soft. I left only because I was getting hungry and didn't plan on staying that long. Towards the end Plutos was getting a bit rutted up.. my own fault. 

I'm really surprised it wasn't busy at all. No lift lines and the runs were not crowded. Is this typical for a Wednesday night? 

It was nice today. For the first hour it was Colorado hero (soft). By 10:30 it was getting softer and more rutted up with each run. The sun started poking through the clouds around noon and conditions went downhill from there. I stayed until 12:30. I was tempted to keep going, but didn't want to risk injury. Erik and I trashed Pluto's pretty good. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

glad i sharpened. yikes. got a couple hours in mid day. rode the lift with a patroller and brought the strait liner topic to his attention, so hopefully a little more awareness will be brought to the Pluto's pointers. had some words with one who passed me and saw them coming so i drifted away from their line and then pointed it to confront them. somewhat of a skilled skier and she apologized immediately (voices in my head said: sorry's don't pay my bills sweetheart). we have to share the hill, but making others aware is hopefully helpful for them to also consider others on the hill too. it's a two way street. conditions wise, it was firm loose granular (mostly firm) and very difficult to hold an edge with my first non metal ptex top board and switched to a metal board that absolutely changed things for the better. night and day. brand new set and polished edges on both. almost race ready.

I was there in the morning until noon. Honestly, it wasn't as crowed or as icy as I expected. I found UFO particularly good and grippy most of the morning. I left at noon when the stupid index rose above my risk tolerance. 

Sloppy seconds afternoon I guess. Definitive Jerry factor upon arrival. Cleared out around 2. 1-2 was sketchy if not super cautious yet aggressive. 2-3 it opened up. The few fresh groomed spots left over were nice. Wish I coulda made the morning but adulting got in the way. Looks like a solid 8-10” base out there. 

Yesterday was truly amazing considering the rain. There was not tons of snow but there was enough. And the snow that was covering Plutos was decently groomed, carvable, and held up until at least noon. 

I got spoiled and mistakenly thought I’d get another helping of that today. With colder overall temps and clouds, it might even be better, right? 

WRONG! 

The difference in snow and groom quality and coverage between Friday and Saturday was staggering. Moon Walk was not groomed with thin cover over rocks and plenty of bare spots. Plutos was technically groomed but it never set up. Saturday at 9 AM Plutos was in FAR worse condition than when I left on Friday at noon; very soft spring conditions not carver friendly.

With the rain on its way, I fear the end of the season is truly here. 😢

Surprise, surprise! Today turned out to be not bad at all.

Very crispy and fast earlier in the morning. But between 10:30 and noon, Plutos was carving nicely. I bet I could have stayed a bit longer, as Plutos was holding up well, but Moon Walk and other trails were wearing extremely thin. Too thin for me. 

I'll continue heading up most mornings on my splitboard and will try to get out again Friday and maybe Saturday next week. After that I'll be heading North, most likely to Wildcat. 

TL;DR: should be a great final week and weekend! 

Skinning up this morning I was impressed at the amazing job the mountain ops team did with grooming. They pushed a bunch of snow back up the trail to cover thin spots on Galaxy and Moon Walk. After yesterday’s slush fest and light rain, I could not believe how good the mountain looked! 

It was about 30° at 7 AM and only dropped below freezing for a couple of hours. Trails in the shade were semi-crisp. Anything the sun touched was very soft. 

Looking forward to this week. The weather looks very favorable. Below freezing temps each night getting colder as the week progresses. No rain in sight. 

I’m planning to skin up each morning and will post updates. I should be out all day Friday and Saturday at least and maybe Sunday, too.  Sunday, March 24 is the last day at Crotched. 

Edited by lafcadio
i suck at typing

You killing me. Closing. Egh. Friday I’m like 20/80 but we’ll see. Loaf is ripping hahd the next couple days. Like dunk in ice cold river each day to recover kinda hard. Thank you for the updates! If I can walk, I’ll do about an hour on Friday just cuz. 

• Like 1