Note to New Members ×

Educate the non boarder

BecInBreck

Hello there,

I would like to get my partner a new board and bindings for the holidays this year.

These are very old pictures, 2015-2016. I think the set up is nearly a decade old. The board is in pretty rough shape and lately he’s been on a telemark set up. Last season he was talking about how he would love to get on an alpine board again soon with some “new” tech so I would love to make that happen. As a skier, I really don’t know anything about this. I know he uses ski boots on the board that’s about it.

I was reading your discussions of MS bail/std bail in the for sale post of some bindings on this site. What does this mean? Boot compatibility? He rides this on some old FT boots.

I know nothing about the board itself either but any advice would be much appreciated. Anything about length/sizing, performance, bindings, and compatibility would be great! 

he is 6’1”

this board was 173”

he currently skis on 189” -unsure if this is relevant

Thank you much! 

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 9/6/2023 at 12:55 AM, BecInBreck said:

I would like to get my partner a new board and bindings for the holidays this year.

Welcome!  That's very nice of you. If you really mean new and you are willing to spend about $1000 or more, honestly he should post here so we can have a conversation about exactly what he wants and needs.  You don't want to spend that kind of money on a surprise only to have it be a disappointment.  We need to talk about his ability, weight, foot size, the board's sidecut radius, length, width, what terrain he wants to ride, what style of riding is he after, etc.

I was reading your discussions of MS bail/std bail in the for sale post of some bindings on this site. What does this mean? Boot compatibility? He rides this on some old FT boots.

There are two types of alpine snowboard bindings: step-in, and standard.  Standard bindings have a toe lever that you operate manually to clamp the boot in the binding.  They fit all standard ski boots and alpine snowboard boots.  Step-ins have an automatic mechanism that allows you to quickly step into the binding without bending over.  Only boots with Intec compatible heels work with step-in bindings.  There is nothing different about Mountain Slope (MS) boots or bindings, they are standard.  Full Tilt boots are the best ski boots to use on a snowboard, but snowboard specific hardboots are better, if he wants to go that way.

I know nothing about the board itself

His board is a Volkl from the early 2000s.  It was a great board for its time, but it certainly doesn't owe him anything and there is newer tech that he will enjoy.