Note to New Members ×

Bindings and parts

TVR

There seems to be a tendency to shit on the TD series bindings (Bomber), but the one thing that can be said about them is parts are available. Also, the metal tends to last...

So let's look at the alternatives?

SG bindings, as well as F2 front bails seem to break due to being plastic. I have looked to source the SG front bail clips, and they seem to be few and far between. Anyone have a good source for the front bail part, the part that clips to the boot, as it tends to break? SG18 as the front bail part, is asking.

The latest trend is towards the F2 and SG due to flex, but has anyone made the plastic parts out of metal?

This seems like something that would be a good idea if we are looking for flex in the plastic bottoms.

OK, so if the front bail, that clips the tow is metal, it would still allow the binding to flex, but the front bail would not break.....

I wonder if they sell just the front bail tow clip and if it would fit on the SG bindings....

On 2/11/2023 at 9:58 PM, TVR said:

There seems to be a tendency to shit on the TD series bindings (Bomber)

Not to derail the topic, but why is that? Were they lauded in the past just because the forum was hosted by Bomber? Or has thinking about bindings changed a lot on the past few years?

I wouldn't say people shit on them but they have been criticized for being too stiff in the past.  They're not too popular with racers partly for that reason.  I think some of that is racers sticking with what they know.  Mostly people here love them but I note we are in the racing forum so...

3 hours ago, fluxgame said:

Not to derail the topic, but why is that? Were they lauded in the past just because the forum was hosted by Bomber? Or has thinking about bindings changed a lot on the past few years?

For whatever reason, it seems people have moved from the bindings being stiff and the boots flexing to very stiff boots and the bindings flexing. The MS 951 boots are very stiff vs UPZs and such. What I have also seen is this now makes the bindings more of a disposable or consumable item, as I have yet to find the front SG bail flapper (SG19 part number) and with many of the F2s, you replace the entire bail if something breaks. Love them or hate them, but those Bomber bindings are tough and they are easy enough to swap out the parts on. 

Unfortunately, there is a very cult mentality in the racing circuit where certain brands are purchased, due to everyone else running them, even though the outliers like Virus or some of what JJ ran still are proven to take Gold medals.