Note to New Members ×

The saga of the New Snowriver Mountain Resort

Algunderfoot

The new Snowriver Mountain Resort opened the 2022-23 season on Thanksgiving Day, Black River Basin (BJ) is now open Thursday thru Sunday, lifts spin at 10 AM. Intitial report is good, no fall off in grooming from last year. Met the new owner and GM, and I'm pleased with thier enthusiasm, vision, techniques, (snow making has been changed to reduce moisture), lots of remodeling and a Doppelmeyer 6 pack detachable is going in at Jackson Creek Summit (IH) next Summer. 

However, many key positions need to be filled, they're posted on thier website, and of course prices are up significantly, some of which would have been enivetable regardless.

Good news is our retirement plans are intact and look to remain so 😊 

20221125_102239.jpg

Edited by Algunderfoot
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Algunderfoot said:

We tried, one and done, Jackson Creek Summit groom was indecisive, lots of curbs and craters, Tib-Fib break on a plate!

I woke up very early, thought about making the drive to SnowRiver, then rolled over to get a few more hours of shut-eye. I drove down to the cities and back yesterday for xmas, so a bit tired today.

I looked at the webcam—BlackRiverBasin looks empty while JacksonCreek looks very busy.

I rode for an 1½ hrs this morning at Spirit on a hard and uneven "surface" groom. Plated board only.

@AlgunderfootHow is Jackson Creek shaping up? It's gotta be pretty good by now after a few grooming cycles? Looks like more snow heading your way soon.

I missed getting a discounted pass last spring, so I'm gonna pick my days at Jackson. Plus, the "local" day ticket discount no longer includes St Louis Co residents. At least a Lutsen pass gets me 25% off the new, improved ticket prices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news to report that despite some rain Jackson Creek Summit has really stepped up their grooming game with today being some of the best I've seen there in 40+ years! Had awesome Thursday, Friday & Saturday last week as well.

Rumor has it that they also demoed a new machine this past weekend at Black River Basin, (even though thier newest machine grooms that hill already), so I certainly appears that hill management is taking this seriously

They have also added a 20% accross the board discount for season pass holders Monday thru Thursday, including alcohol, back to just food, softdrinks, gear and swag only on weekends.

Lastly the UP #2 snowmobile trail has been successfully rerouted off property, but they are not catering to sled pilots.20230106_091222.jpg.fdec214f65813dca40769935f98127ba.jpg

Edited by Algunderfoot
  • Thanks 1

11° below at the start and 8° above when I quit 4 hrs later. Had the hill to myself for the first hour. Maybe 10 people on the hill total by about noon. Every other run had a cursory overnight grooming (no tilling) while some still had yesterday's tracks, I suspect because they had such a light day yesterday. So, why groom? As a result, the surface was pretty hard, but it softened in the sun later.

And, there were some areas of windblown snow that made for some softer turns...

013123(1).jpg.a1a038abde527b79507657da90c8638a.jpg

I talked to a few people that told me how great it was last week, "Best snow ever!"

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Two separate snow events this week 12" and 8" mave more than made up for last week's rain. Today's groom was as perfect as perfect gets, high of 8° but calm with bright light. Yesterday was a Surfers paradise with 6'- 8" over groom, flat light but "Stevie Wonder" just send it conditions, anda but blustery. Looking ahead at another 12"+ for Monday. Definitely Prime Season!

• Like 1

Pass prices and structure just changed, for the better, due to suggestions of locals and reconsiderations from Management Check the website for details...

https://www.snowriver.com/season-passes?gclid=CjwKCAiAr4GgBhBFEiwAgwORrRn781FiuHTZrIBBRwR2kdzlgxGYLHvKxYaHAPYpY776SpNkgE0ZTxoC5-EQAvD_BwE

I'm pleased to see the new ownership exhibiting flexibility and not being afraid to realize when some decisions aren't working out!

Edited by Algunderfoot
  • Like 1

I didn't realize how much I missed this place by not having a pass this year. I picked up my 23-24 season pass with a spring add-on for this year. Good for both Lutsen & SnowRiver.

Local informants told me that JCS plans to close early this year on April 3rd to begin the lift replacement project. BRB will stay open til May?

I arrived late morning to allow the freeze/thaw groom to soften. 

JCS has the same issues with ridges at the groomer seams. Even skiers were complaining. Still, there was great carving to be had once you figured out where the bad seams were not.

Hung out with Al & Beth after some riding. 8rw was the board for today, except at the end of the day Al let me ride his 9sw ! :eek: at first...but then I was like...:eplus2:

195cm long, 17cm waist and 17-19m scr...

It was so smooth on the late day crud it felt like it was levitating. I'm gonna have dreams about riding this board until I get one. 

IMG_8959.jpg.5668192973b87ea50cfa939ebd04d84b.jpg

Who knew Thirst World Wide enterprises had a rep in little old Bessemer, MI.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

knew Thirst World Wide enterprises had a rep in little old Bessemer, MI.

couple weeks ago at buck i was riding the chairlift with a skier (regular passholder). i had never ridden with the guy but i always saw him. he kept looking at my donek board and then said that he was friends with with a guy that manufactures snowboards up in northern michigan, "ever hear of a guy named Al W... ?"

i said yes, i met him at at indian head. he reps for Thirst snowboards.

• Like 2

Tues    

What a day! Started out 0° at 9AM and got above freezing by noon. Sunny, no wind and very few people on the hill. The carving conditions were as good as any good day out west! Rode for 4 hrs. Had a lunch break with Al and Beth. We spent the morning out of sync which enabled us to watch each other riding on the chair ride up.

I was really trying to get woo-hoo from the chair.

o31423JCS.jpg.26562b10ea8cde6e1ae6977f75e65211.jpg

riding the SuperConductor! 

• Like 3

Friday    St Paddy's day   Surfing surfari edition

Drove over yesterday before the rain turned to snow. It rained all day here and turned to snow overnight. By morning, we had ~10 inches of light fluff on top of crunchy frozen snow.

Met up with Al & Beth in the lodge. Al & I rode the big surf boards (TSm²), Beth on her PCjv swallowtail. We had plenty of fresh tracks, occasionally touching the crunchy bottom, but less so in the deeper snow lower on the hill and out of the wind. 

It's still snowing and seems to be mainly lake effect now. There's a thinly veiled sun visible. The forecast is calling for another 7-14" through tomorrow. :biggthump

There should be grooming overnight laying a soft blanket of corduroy over that icy stuff. With a little luck there'll be a nice layer of fluff on top of the cord. :ices_ange 

Fun day! :1luvu:

• Like 2

Sat

Heavy snow all night and lake effect most of the day. At least another 12", maybe more. Hard to tell with the blowing and drifting. Windy, whiteout conditions were challenging this morning. After making 1st tracks at Jackson Creek I met up with Al & Beth over at Black River Basin where it was more sheltered from the wind. I got stuck in some bottomless snow near the edge of a trail and had to remove my board. My leg sank all the way to my crotch and I had to crawl out with the board. :nono: 

When the weather began clearing in the afternoon, I made some runs back at JCS riding the 202 TS  finding deep untracked snow to play in on the gentle Voyageur.

VID_20180113_084008_00_011_2023-03-18_16-17-01_screenshot.jpg.3a1a755d9ed6caece146c4a1b8a198a8.jpg

Really looking forward to carving some 1st day groom tomorrow. The skies have cleared and it should be sunny. :1luvu:

• Like 1